What was your favorite scene in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: What was your favorite scene in the book?

Post by Letora »

I actually didn't even have a favorite scene. I struggled with this book. It was too plot-driven for me, jumping from place to place and not really lingering long enough to grasp any one idea for long. Am I alone in this?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Letora wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:50 I actually didn't even have a favorite scene. I struggled with this book. It was too plot-driven for me, jumping from place to place and not really lingering long enough to grasp any one idea for long. Am I alone in this?
I would honestly say that I disagree with you and am of the opposite camp of great scenes that I vividly remembered.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Letora wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:50 I actually didn't even have a favorite scene. I struggled with this book. It was too plot-driven for me, jumping from place to place and not really lingering long enough to grasp any one idea for long. Am I alone in this?
I originally struggled with this book and didnt like it much, but I decided to start over and discovered so much that I had missed! I still would not rate this a perfect 4 start rating. but it wasn't the worst of books I have read
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:15
I originally struggled with this book and didnt like it much, but I decided to start over and discovered so much that I had missed! I still would not rate this a perfect 4 start rating. but it wasn't the worst of books I have read
I did not know that, and I had not considered the book might be unliked or you might struggle with it.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:18
I did not know that, and I had not considered the book might be unliked or you might struggle with it.
I tend to gravitate towards writing styles that flow seemlessly across the pages. Pellucid's writing style was choppy and her use of metaphors was odd and confusing at times. She also had the tendency to write about something, but not explain what she meant until pages, or chapters later. So eventually everything did come full circle, but her way of going about it was odd and confusing at times. It is definitly one you should read atleast twice to pick up on all of the small details and nuances, but in a great book you should not have to read something twice to understand it. overall, I thought the book was ok, but I didn't like it enough to read a sequel.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:29

I tend to gravitate towards writing styles that flow seemlessly across the pages. Pellucid's writing style was choppy and her use of metaphors was odd and confusing at times. She also had the tendency to write about something, but not explain what she meant until pages, or chapters later. So eventually everything did come full circle, but her way of going about it was odd and confusing at times. It is definitly one you should read atleast twice to pick up on all of the small details and nuances, but in a great book you should not have to read something twice to understand it. overall, I thought the book was ok, but I didn't like it enough to read a sequel.
Isn't this being overly critical of the author, and in works like great books like Sanderson's and Lawrence's, I had to read some of their books at least twice to get some of the small details and nuances.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:17
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:29

Isn't this being overly critical of the author, and in works like great books like Sanderson's and Lawrence's, I had to read some of their books at least twice to get some of the small details and nuances.
This is my opinion - you definitly dont have to agree! There are plenty who loved this book and plenty, like me, who did not - and that's ok! I like the fact there are hidden details throughout the book, but to write in a way that leaves the audience confused at times, in my opinion, takes away from the book as a whole.
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

For some reason I liked when they finally realized Valerian was the enemy. It was just such an OH MY GOD moment and everything tied in together. It was crazy.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

SPOILERS

The battle at the end was very exciting. I enjoyed the triumphant moment when everything came together.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:39 SPOILERS

The battle at the end was very exciting. I enjoyed the triumphant moment when everything came together.
Pellucid did a good job at toeing up all the loose ends! I just didnt expect the false king to show up and found it a little out of place :eusa-think:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:34 For some reason I liked when they finally realized Valerian was the enemy. It was just such an OH MY GOD moment and everything tied in together. It was crazy.
I had a feeling he wasnt all that good throughout the book, but didnt realize ththe extent of it!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:34 For some reason I liked when they finally realized Valerian was the enemy. It was just such an OH MY GOD moment and everything tied in together. It was crazy.
Yes, it was a moment of shock and relief that the antagonist finally showed his hand...I say this despite the ruthlessness Valerian exhibited to recrify that discovery.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:45
ciecheesemeister wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:39 SPOILERS

Pellucid did a good job at toeing up all the loose ends! I just didnt expect the false king to show up and found it a little out of place :eusa-think:
The book ended with all the major antagonists being removed , and with a promising hint to more adventures.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:46
I had a feeling he wasnt all that good throughout the book, but didnt realize ththe extent of it!
I had not even realized that he could have killed William's father. That was a very dangerous antagonist who his his motives and actions well.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Nisha Ward wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 11:07 Oddly, I really liked the scene where Will talks to the Boy in the mirror. There was something melancholy about it for me but also something like a bit of relief in the midst of danger.
I came here to say the same. The author describes the little world in the mirror beautifully. It sounds so peaceful, I imagined it as a garden. And who wouldn't want cake every day? 😂

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”