The Girls in the Story

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Karenvanant
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Three Daughters of Eve
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karenvanant.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Re: The Girls in the Story

Post by Karenvanant »

I loved Emily, and yes she often saved the day, but the book was about Will. So I feel that her role was justified as is.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:50 Although I enjoyed reading the novel, I couldn't help noticing the female characters were given only marginal roles. Will's sister, Emily, and Valerie, Victor Valerian's niece, are the only girls in the story. They save the day more than once, yet I don't think they are given enough attention, especially Emily. Would you like them to acquire a central position in the future novels in the series?
I agree with you because I personally think Emily and Valerie could have had a lot more important and vital role in the overall plot of the book.
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

I agree that they did not focus enough on the female characters. This book, although slightly violent, is still solidly middle grade fantasy. One of the most significant tropes of middle grade fantasy books is that they include a strong female lead. Emmy and Valerie just didn’t have a strong enough role and neither of them had a distinct voice. Ninety percent of the time I got Valerie confused with her uncle.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

They didn't get the spotlight they could've had or should've had. Perhaps it will be cleared up in the next books.
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

Yes, I agree with you. I also felt that the girls were given a partial role in the book. Valerie was essential in unmasking Valerian, but she was not given even a marginal role, she was brought up only on the rarest instances. Cully Flower, Emmy, etc, were given only minor roles. This could change in the next book in the series, if the series ever comes out
TutorGirlCheyenne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tutorgirlcheyenne.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TutorGirlCheyenne »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:50 Although I enjoyed reading the novel, I couldn't help noticing the female characters were given only marginal roles. Will's sister, Emily, and Valerie, Victor Valerian's niece, are the only girls in the story. They save the day more than once, yet I don't think they are given enough attention, especially Emily. Would you like them to acquire a central position in the future novels in the series?
I completely agree. The wonderful female characters in this book were very underutilized. I would love to see more of them in future novels.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Honestly speaking, I was disappointed by the casual reunion between Will and Emily. Will had embarked on a mission to save her and so I expected the success if that mission to impact the resolution of the plot in a significant way. Maybe if Emily's role in the book had been extended a little, the reunion would have been spectacular.
Bet on Me! :idea:
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I thought Emmie's role was very diminished. A good chunk of the story was devoted to Will finding her, but then she wasn't very important and there was little development of her relationship with Will.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”