The Girls in the Story

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The Girls in the Story

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:11
tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:32 I totally agree! The girls played a pivotal role in the book, but were not given as much importance as each of the male characters in the book. Of all the girls, I think that Emmy should have had a bigger role within the story. Will did go into the pond to save her afterall. But, once he was there, he didn't seem to worry or care about her too much. I think that they should have had more of a relationship, even though I know they were trying to protect Will's identity.
See this is where I felt a disconnect because, yes she had to keep a distance for the sake of keeping wills identity, but she felt more like an acquaintance than family
I look at it as more rhings for the author to look in to in future books.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I hope in future books she makes will and emmys relationship seem more like a relationship rather than just an aquaintance!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:04 I hope in future books she makes will and emmys relationship seem more like a relationship rather than just an aquaintance!
For all intents and purposes they were acquaintances, but I get your meaning. In a future book, hopefully their bond grows and we see them and their relationship evolve.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:27
angiejack456 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:39 I always find books to be more balanced if both boys and girls play integral roles in the plot.
See this doesnt matter to me as much as it being a well written book
Agreed, but surely there's more chance of it actually being a well-written book if the author is capable of creating well-rounded, convincing characters of both genders?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 13:02
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:27
angiejack456 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:39 I always find books to be more balanced if both boys and girls play integral roles in the plot.
See this doesnt matter to me as much as it being a well written book
Agreed, but surely there's more chance of it actually being a well-written book if the author is capable of creating well-rounded, convincing characters of both genders?
I think as long as the characters are well rounded and convincing I am happy regardless of gender! I cant help but think if the cast had been all strong female characters with underdeveloped male supporting characters that this wouldnt have been brought to our attention
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 12:37
Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:04 I hope in future books she makes will and emmys relationship seem more like a relationship rather than just an aquaintance!
For all intents and purposes they were acquaintances, but I get your meaning. In a future book, hopefully their bond grows and we see them and their relationship evolve.
That is a valid point! They hadnt seen each other since they were 2, so they wouldnt remember much of anything from their time together, but I'd still like to think they would have some sort of bond - being twins and all
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 14:27
That is a valid point! They hadnt seen each other since they were 2, so they wouldnt remember much of anything from their time together, but I'd still like to think they would have some sort of bond - being twins and all
That would have been amazing to read through but highly unbelievable, I would find one if not both characters unrelatable.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

It would be nice to see the girls take central role in subsequent books in the series
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I think that it would be excellent if some of the female characters were more heavily featured in future books. There were well-written characters overall, but I would love to see more of them.
~Roxie~
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 14:33
Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 14:27

That would have been amazing to read through but highly unbelievable, I would find one if not both characters unrelatable.
You would find both characters unrelatable because they had a sibling bond? Lol that seems a bit drastic don't you think!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Helena91 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 07:53 It would be nice to see the girls take central role in subsequent books in the series
I agree! All the female roles had a lot more to give I think. They helped a bit but were always in the background
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

RoxieReads wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 17:26 I think that it would be excellent if some of the female characters were more heavily featured in future books. There were well-written characters overall, but I would love to see more of them.
And in this book it was sort of hard for Emmy to play a central role because she couldn't give away wills disguise, but there wasn't really a reason valerie couldn't help more than she did
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 20:57
RoxieReads wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 17:26 I think that it would be excellent if some of the female characters were more heavily featured in future books. There were well-written characters overall, but I would love to see more of them.
And in this book it was sort of hard for Emmy to play a central role because she couldn't give away wills disguise, but there wasn't really a reason valerie couldn't help more than she did
Although I just thought of this ...valerie was an echo and it was made apparent from the beginning that sounds and echoes were distinctly separated in the orphanage. They sat at separate tables in the lunch hall, had separate dorms, etc. So valerie probably wouldn't have been seen with a sound like will
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:50 Although I enjoyed reading the novel, I couldn't help noticing the female characters were given only marginal roles. Will's sister, Emily, and Valerie, Victor Valerian's niece, are the only girls in the story. They save the day more than once, yet I don't think they are given enough attention, especially Emily. Would you like them to acquire a central position in the future novels in the series?
I feel that each character has their role to play.

Every author choses the character to portray a particular theme as seem fit.

I think charcters Emily could have had such central role but hers is as significant as Will.

Thank you for the question.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 07:21
cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:50 Although I enjoyed reading the novel, I couldn't help noticing the female characters were given only marginal roles. Will's sister, Emily, and Valerie, Victor Valerian's niece, are the only girls in the story. They save the day more than once, yet I don't think they are given enough attention, especially Emily. Would you like them to acquire a central position in the future novels in the series?
I feel that each character has their role to play.

Every author choses the character to portray a particular theme as seem fit.

I think charcters Emily could have had such central role but hers is as significant as Will.

Thank you for the question.
I would go out on a limb and say that her role was even more vital considering her experiences in Echoland. She would have been a knowledgeable companion in his journey.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”