What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Rachel Lea wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 15:02 I thought it was a really interesting touch that the author put “herself” in the story, and then included the message to Will at the end of the book where she said she would write his story and make him famous. It’s fun to imagine “The Crystilleries of Echoland” being an actual book in the orphanage library.
I had the same picture in my mind when I read Pellucid's message to Will. I imagined the book on one of the shelves in the orphanage library, but I also imagined something else: other books in the library with other wonderful characters whose story Pellucid is but anxious to tell. :)
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Helene_2008 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 20:31 I liked the character of Dew Pellucid. It's like the author created their own echo in Echoland. She does reminds me a little but Albus.
I thought her name was meant to reflect people's dual nature, hence she would be both a Sound and an Echo.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:42
Rachel Lea wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 15:02 I thought it was a really interesting touch that the author put “herself” in the story, and then included the message to Will at the end of the book where she said she would write his story and make him famous. It’s fun to imagine “The Crystilleries of Echoland” being an actual book in the orphanage library.
I had the same picture in my mind when I read Pellucid's message to Will. I imagined the book on one of the shelves in the orphanage library, but I also imagined something else: other books in the library with other wonderful characters whose story Pellucid is but anxious to tell. :)
Oh, that is so cool!! I love that! :D
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:35
djr6090 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 09:24 It made me laugh to see a character in the book with the same name as the author. From reading some of the above posts, I want to learn more about the writer.
To make things even more interesting, I've also read that the author used a different pseudonym when writing fiction for adults.
I looked her up. Dew Pallucid's real name is Tal Boldo. She has given an interview online and sounds like she's really into her fantasy world building. She claims that the Dew Pellucid character is an older, crotchety version of herself.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't think I ever heard of this happening in books. I know that this is her pen name but to give a name to a character, I don't think I ever heard of it. You? I know that the author write about themselves in their characters but they never give them the same name.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:40
KDJ wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 10:13
cristinaro wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 06:01

Do you remember Pellucid's Eyes, those crystal balls watching the boys wherever they went? It's as if Pellucid knows their every move, the same as Dumbledore knew Harry's every thought and doubt.
Yeah, I remember them, they were everywhere. A part of me thought she was a good guy since she didn't take the book they stole back, but why did she need to know soo much? I understand the surveillance in the library, but weren't there some on banisters in the orphanage and out on the town streets? Was she reporting to someone? I'm thinking too much about it, but something about her bothered me. That being said, I would love to have those eyes anywhere I wanted them. LOL. :D :D
I guess all this surveillance did have a kind of Orwell's feel about it. :) My assumption was the children were under Pellucid's strict surveillance because, in fact, she wanted to protect them from the Fate Sealers who were also present almost everywhere.
Yeah, that does make sense. I sometimes forget to take everything into consideration when thinking about motivations. If I consider the Fate Sealers and all the other perils the kids could face, then Pellucid doesn't seem too bad. :techie-studyingbrown: This gives her a slightly different dimension of character.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

When I first saw pellucids name in the story I was confused, but like others have said it became clear at the end of the book. This also makes sense as to why all of the all-seeing "eyes" are constantly on Will and Peter - so that Pellucid could write her story.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:17 I noticed it and thought it fitting the writer of books became the keeper of books in the story. :D Because I could not tell if she was a good character, she didn't initially remind me of Dumbledore.
Do you remember Pellucid's Eyes, those crystal balls watching the boys wherever they went? It's as if Pellucid knows their every move, the same as Dumbledore knew Harry's every thought and doubt.
Yeah, I remember them, they were everywhere. A part of me thought she was a good guy since she didn't take the book they stole back, but why did she need to know soo much? I understand the surveillance in the library, but weren't there some on banisters in the orphanage and out on the town streets? Was she reporting to someone? I'm thinking too much about it, but something about her bothered me. That being said, I would love to have those eyes anywhere I wanted them. LOL. :D :D
I think the eyes were everywhere so that she could see everything to write Wills story
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Helene_2008 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 20:31 I liked the character of Dew Pellucid. It's like the author created their own echo in Echoland. She does reminds me a little but Albus.
I never thought of it this way! Very clever- I like it!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:40

I guess all this surveillance did have a kind of Orwell's feel about it. :) My assumption was the children were under Pellucid's strict surveillance because, in fact, she wanted to protect them from the Fate Sealers who were also present almost everywhere.
After reading this thread, I'm starting to think that the eyes were for witnessing Wills adventure so that she could write his story
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:42
And of ones that she has already written!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:44
I thought her name was meant to reflect people's dual nature, hence she would be both a Sound and an Echo.
But both a sound and echo is a mongrel or harmony? Or do you mean she is literally both sets not just both combined?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 06:14
cristinaro wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:35
djr6090 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 09:24 It made me laugh to see a character in the book with the same name as the author. From reading some of the above posts, I want to learn more about the writer.
To make things even more interesting, I've also read that the author used a different pseudonym when writing fiction for adults.
I looked her up. Dew Pallucid's real name is Tal Boldo. She has given an interview online and sounds like she's really into her fantasy world building. She claims that the Dew Pellucid character is an older, crotchety version of herself.
Lol that's kind of hilarious!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

cristinaro wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 06:22
wordslinger42 wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 10:50 I loved the idea of the author also being a character in the story. That's not something you come across very often, so it was definitely unique and added something special to the story. However, I thought the shift in Pellucid's character was a little too abrupt to be believable. Initially, like others have mentioned, she was very stern and came across as an enemy almost. I would have liked to see more hints throughout the story of her true nature. It would have made the shift in her character more believable for me.
I don't know. I merely interpreted her initial attitude as the boys' first-time perception of an adult holding a position of authority. However, I'd like to get to know her better in Dew Pellucid's sequel to the story.
I would also like to get to know her character better, and I would definitely love to see a sequel to the first book :) I think I was just hoping for a bit more character development for Pellucid than I felt was there! Overall, she's an interesting character, though!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I thought this was a clever surprise to the story. When I saw the character’s name, I had to glance back to the cover to make sure I wasn’t making this up. I absolutely love it when this is done in books or movies where cameos are made. I feel it brings me a little closer to the author who has literally put his or her whole self into the story.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”