What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Apart from being the author of this novel, Dew Pellucid is also a character in the story. As curator of the second largest library in the land and headmistress of the Orphanage of Castaway Children, Pellucid the character does not only protect Will from a distance, but also alludes to her role as a storyteller.

This narrative strategy reminds me of metafictional novels in which the boundaries between the author, the narrator, and the characters are skillfully crossed so that the readers could reflect on the inner mechanisms of fiction.

Personally, I loved both Pellucid, the talented author, and Pellucid, the wise master puppeteer in the story. What's your opinion on Pellucid, the character? Does she remind you of Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter series? Does the story gain or lose from her presence in the text?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved it too! It was confusing at first that the curator shared the same name as the author until the penny dropped.

It did remind me of Albus Dumbledore now that you mention it. I think the story gained from her presence in the text, though I would have liked more scenes with her.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Leah39 »

At first, Dew Pellucid doesn't seem like one of the good guys. She seems stern and cold. But as the story goes on, she covers for Will and Peter, even though it has a cost. She does vaguely remind me of Dumbledore, now that you mention it, although Dumbledore was more of a teacher and mentor, while Pellucid is detached from the students and seems to intentionally limit her interactions with them them and stay separate from the kids.

I was surprised when the writer worked her own name into the book, but it makes sense, as the guardian on a huge library, and the master of all knowledge in that library. It reminds me a bit of how Stephen King manages to make a cameo in every one of the movies based on his books!
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I noticed it and thought it fitting the writer of books became the keeper of books in the story. :D Because I could not tell if she was a good character, she didn't initially remind me of Dumbledore.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I was a little thrown by the character Dew Pellucid at first, but as I read on it started to make perfect sense to me as I saw the Author Dew Pellucid's vision of the character's role in the story more clearly.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Leah39 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:17 I noticed it and thought it fitting the writer of books became the keeper of books in the story. :D Because I could not tell if she was a good character, she didn't initially remind me of Dumbledore.
She wasn't as warm and friendly as Dumbledore. He was way more approachable, and acted as more of a mentor to the kids in the HP series. Dew Pellucid seemed more aloof in the book, but definitely well placed.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I thought it was cute how the author worked her pseudonym into the book and created a character. I enjoyed Dew Pellucid as a character but, I agree, it was reminiscent of Harry Potter.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Am I the only one who is reminded of Stan Lee here? I know that Stan did just one scene cameos and the author has a whole character for himself, but still it was the first thing that came to my mind.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Benthic wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 00:28 Am I the only one who is reminded of Stan Lee here? I know that Stan did just one scene cameos and the author has a whole character for himself, but still it was the first thing that came to my mind.
Yeah. I think the Stan Lee comparison is more fitting here, particularly on a meta-textual level. It's a pretty cool thing to do, as well.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I liked that the author added a character to the story by her own name, and I liked the Dew Pellucid character. I think it added to the story.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Nisha Ward wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 01:14
Benthic wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 00:28 Am I the only one who is reminded of Stan Lee here? I know that Stan did just one scene cameos and the author has a whole character for himself, but still it was the first thing that came to my mind.
Yeah. I think the Stan Lee comparison is more fitting here, particularly on a meta-textual level. It's a pretty cool thing to do, as well.
Absolutely true. I really loved the character when I first saw his name though he seemed a bit dodgy.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I loved the idea of the author also being a character in the story. That's not something you come across very often, so it was definitely unique and added something special to the story. However, I thought the shift in Pellucid's character was a little too abrupt to be believable. Initially, like others have mentioned, she was very stern and came across as an enemy almost. I would have liked to see more hints throughout the story of her true nature. It would have made the shift in her character more believable for me.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This is the first book I have read where the author uses their name for a character. At first it confused me but as I kept reading, I thought it was neat. It made me wonder it the character Dew Pellucid is how the author Dew Pellucid sees herself in real life or would like to be.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:29 I loved it too! It was confusing at first that the curator shared the same name as the author until the penny dropped.

It did remind me of Albus Dumbledore now that you mention it. I think the story gained from her presence in the text, though I would have liked more scenes with her.
Or perhaps a combination of Albus Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. :) I'd love to see more scenes with her in future books.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:25 At first, Dew Pellucid doesn't seem like one of the good guys. She seems stern and cold. But as the story goes on, she covers for Will and Peter, even though it has a cost. She does vaguely remind me of Dumbledore, now that you mention it, although Dumbledore was more of a teacher and mentor, while Pellucid is detached from the students and seems to intentionally limit her interactions with them them and stay separate from the kids.

I was surprised when the writer worked her own name into the book, but it makes sense, as the guardian on a huge library, and the master of all knowledge in that library. It reminds me a bit of how Stephen King manages to make a cameo in every one of the movies based on his books!
Dew Pellucid the character confesses to knowing more than what it seems; toward the end, she acknowledges her role as a narrator too: "Why not write his story instead? I’m sure you’ve seen my books in the library. What? A blank expression? Well, I will be the Echo who makes you famous, remember that, young Sound!” (p.346) That's a great metafictional device that abolished the distinction between character, narrator, and author. When Dew Pellucid the character seems detached, it is because she is supposed to play the role of the third-person omniscient narrator, but in the end she can't hide her love for her characters and gives them a helping hand whenever needed.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”