Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I found the drowning of the puppies completely unnecessary and so cruel!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I don't know, maybe I was a little insensitive but I thought it added to the boy's peril. It added to the idea that no matter where they turned someone was out to get them and these pets were extremely important to the boy's because they picked each other.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

I want to take a moment to thank all of you who took the time to answer my questions. In fact, I'm sure you'll be bumping into my questions all over this forum. I know they may seem a bit inconsequential and sometimes downright silly but there is a purpose to them.
I find people so fascinating and by sharing a singular experience (like reading a book) I can learn so much about what makes us tick.
So your opinions matter to me very much. Nothing is so amazing as the human soul. Thanks for sharing part of yours with me!

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
KariD3
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karid3.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by KariD3 »

I do agree that one of the things that did bother me the most was the harming of the wolf cubs. The game keeper in general was creepy as well, at least that I felt. There just didn't seem to be a point to his character for it just seemed like his only point to exist was to be cruel and other than that, it didn't add to the plot of the book at all. However it wasn't the only thing that I felt might be disturbing for younger readers. The fight with the Fate Sealers where the old man got repeatedly stabbed, or the scenes where Will can see drowned bodies floating beneath the lake was a bit bothering as well.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

There were so many cruel activities that went down in the book. That was uncomfortable for me.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Emmy ending up in shadowpain and the puppies drowing are worse.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Any intentional harm to animals or humans is abhorrent. I personally found the drowning of the puppies the worst.
TracySG98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracysg98.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by TracySG98 »

There were definitely parts that were unsettling to me. Like when the game keeper went out of his way to deliberately hurt Will and Wolfia. Also, the fact that there seemed to be no reason when the Fate Sealers decided to attack. The scene at the lake was just plain creepy, explaining the screaming faces of the dead bodies frozen in the lake felt like overkill. While I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, there were more than enough uncomfortable parts to make me not want to recommend this book to younger readers.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 04:05
esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
So the book's been noted for the similarities to the Harry Potter series right? This actually reminds me of an uncomfortable problem with this subgenre where the people in charge often keep employing rather cruel persons who are allowed near kids. The Game Keeper is rather reminiscent of Argus Filch in that way and it really bothers me how much he was willing to hurt Will's wolf.
There is definitely the issue in young adult novels where the adults, even the good adults, cannot be trusted completely, or see the "truth" as clearly as the kids see it. And I get this because as an adult, I often see things in a more nuanced way than a pre-teen or teenager. But the gamekeeper keeping his job really bothered me in this book because he was NEVER presented as any other way. The people in charge knew exactly what he was doing, and his feelings about wild pets and kept him on anyway. There was never a mitigating circumstance presented.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

esp1975 wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 11:38
Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 04:05
esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
So the book's been noted for the similarities to the Harry Potter series right? This actually reminds me of an uncomfortable problem with this subgenre where the people in charge often keep employing rather cruel persons who are allowed near kids. The Game Keeper is rather reminiscent of Argus Filch in that way and it really bothers me how much he was willing to hurt Will's wolf.
There is definitely the issue in young adult novels where the adults, even the good adults, cannot be trusted completely, or see the "truth" as clearly as the kids see it. And I get this because as an adult, I often see things in a more nuanced way than a pre-teen or teenager. But the gamekeeper keeping his job really bothered me in this book because he was NEVER presented as any other way. The people in charge knew exactly what he was doing, and his feelings about wild pets and kept him on anyway. There was never a mitigating circumstance presented.
Yeah. I think that might actually be part of one of the book's bigger flaws where it keeps introducing characters and just leaves them there. The author doesn't really do much with most of the cast.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

@Nisha Ward - There is most definitely almost no character development outside of our main characters. Even Emmy and Valerie get very little. It is definitely a big part, in my mind, of why this book remains firmly aimed at middle-grade and the youngest young-adult readers. It will never become the sensation among adults that Harry Potter was because so much of it remains flat. And that's not really a huge deal in a middle-grade/young adult book. It just means that it is not one of those transcendent stories.
That said, I do stand by my comment in my review that I think it's enjoyable enough for the whole family to listen to the audio book on a road trip. I just don't think adults will seek it out on their own, nor would I recommend it to people who weren't considering it for reading with kids.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

esp1975 wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 09:51 @Nisha Ward - There is most definitely almost no character development outside of our main characters. Even Emmy and Valerie get very little. It is definitely a big part, in my mind, of why this book remains firmly aimed at middle-grade and the youngest young-adult readers. It will never become the sensation among adults that Harry Potter was because so much of it remains flat. And that's not really a huge deal in a middle-grade/young adult book. It just means that it is not one of those transcendent stories.
That said, I do stand by my comment in my review that I think it's enjoyable enough for the whole family to listen to the audio book on a road trip. I just don't think adults will seek it out on their own, nor would I recommend it to people who weren't considering it for reading with kids.
Oh definitely! There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. I don't believe everything has to be transcendent, and I will be fair to the author in that I think a sequel would work really well to build on everything in this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

The definitely made me uncomfortable. I feel like it was unnecessary to the story as well. I don't think it pushed the plot along at all.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 19:43 The drowning of the puppies was so cruel! That was a part that really bothered me!
I don't like it when dogs get hurt in movies or books!
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I have a really hard time but any harm done to animals in both books and on screen so that was definitely the worst part for me. It made the book a bit difficult for me to come back to after I read the section about the pups that’s for sure.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”