Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Lauraaacuna
Currently Reading: Nadeems journey
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Post by Lauraaacuna »

I really enjoyed the book a lot! I love that you can picture how each character is and how they feel. One of my favorite parts of the book is at the beginning when Will, our main character, can hear is pets talk! I feel like most children with their pets could talk. I give it a [bout of 4 starts/b]
suemam93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suemam93 »

I love fantasy and I really liked the Crystilleries of Echoland. Not comparable to the like of Harry Potter, but, definitely, a must-read for every lover of fantasy.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I really liked this book. I thought it was really creative and the author did a great job of creating this other world. I also thought the characters were complex and interesting.
Haleydiaz2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleydiaz2.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Haleydiaz2 »

I enjoyed the book! The characters are strong and the entire world of Echoland is magical. I do think that the author possibly had too many ideas to wrap into one book, making many scenes chaotic and difficult to follow. I also wish that the ladies in the book were given more credit, since they helped/saved the boys multiple times. However, despite those things, it was a very entertaining read!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

The topic Dew chose to talk about during the course of her writing is truly outstanding. The constant change between the sounds and echoes got me very confused because I had to read back and forth. This enabled me not to get lost along the way. I enjoyed discovering the facts I now know about echoland.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

From the review I know this is an adventurous book , I will surly read it . Nice write up .
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Adventurous and certainly intriguing.
Each scene unfolds into more suspense.
I'm so recommending to my friends.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Nujudee wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 13:54 Adventurous and certainly intriguing.
Each scene unfolds into more suspense.
I'm so recommending to my friends.
Well said! I just finished reading and reviewing this novel and I loved it. It reminded me of Harry Potter too, but I'm a huge Potterhead, so I'm happy with that haha! I gave it 3 out of 4 stars for some choppy transitions and an abundance of characters, but other than that, it was a fantastic novel. Definitely recommending it!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
_tiyaah
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by _tiyaah »

I ain't gonna lie I don't fancy this sort of book and I honestly really enjoyed the book and its intricate plot
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I read a bit of the story and it was definitely something different and you get to experience different worlds that the author created.
Kailyn Rudd
Favorite Book: Rusalka
Currently Reading: Developmental Editing
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailyn-rudd.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Kailyn Rudd »

Noosh wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 09:17 Done.
After thinking about it for a while, I finally decided to go with 1 star for the book.
Even though I see what most of you who loved it say, I can’t possibly call this a good book. Yes, sure. The story had potential and the idea of Sounds and Echos was very interesting indeed, the story wasn’t narrated well at all. The characters were also not interesting or well-depicted...
a story starts with the idea, but it needs so many other elements to become excellent and I’m afraid this book stopped at just the good idea.
Thank you. You've made me feel sane again. This is my first review here, which I am still working on, and was curious how others felt about it. Amid a vast sea of glowing reviews, I've found your commentary incredibly cathartic.
Rheta Flanders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheta-flanders.html

Post by Rheta Flanders »

I enjoyed the Echoland thoroughly. My only issue was the editing. The storyline was appealing. I have severe issues with continuity when reading any book or article. When I have to go back and decipher what I thought I might have misread and find an editing error instead, it takes away from my enjoyment of the story and becomes a J-O-B. I prefer near-perfect missives, where I don't have to backtrack and follow the intended path.
Cathryn Gorlinsky
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathryn-gorlinsky.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cathryn Gorlinsky »

I picked Crystilleries because the plot summary was immensely appealing to me, and I love reading fiction and fantasy. However, this book did not land for me - the writing style felt jarring, especially when elements of describing the world would get interrupted by plot action. I understand that this was probably meant to feel "fast-paced," but for me, it had the opposite effect and felt sluggish because I had to re-read some parts to get my bearings again.
E Kane
Currently Reading: Fasting Firepower
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-kane.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by E Kane »

I have to agree with the less-favorable reviews here! Like many of us, I thought that the storyline was incredibly creative and unique! However, I don't think the storyTELLING did well at clearly describing the world, events, etc. A lot of the story was super confusing, like someone describing a dream to you. I submitted my full review for this book recently and hopefully it will be published soon, in case anyone wants my full thoughts. XD
Brianna Nix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-nix.html

Post by Brianna Nix »

I read and reviewed this book on here, and I really liked it. I love the idea of a parallel world underground, with echoes of people running around. I imagine meeting my own echo and what we would talk about, and wonder if we would have anything in common, etc. I think the author may have been influenced by J.K. Rowling a bit, since there was a similar feeling behind the words to Harry Potter, but the story was so different I didn't make the connection until after I had already finished. It was a short read that left me wanting more, but it seems to be a standalone book. I recommend this book to anyone who likes young fantasy/ sci-fi, and middle school YA fiction. I do wish that some things were described a bit more deeply, but for a middle school age book, it is very well done.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”