Why does God permit the wickedness?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Why does God permit the wickedness?

Post by LeDiplomatique »

God is all-powerful and all-seeing. He saw the fall of Adam and Eve before it happened. Why didn't He stop it from happening? Why did God create Lucifer being aware of what Lucifer would do to bring chaos to God's perfect world?
TrueWater
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truewater.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by TrueWater »

I believe and from what I understand from reading the bible that satan didn't create evil, he represented it, caused it, fed it. Evil is the opposite if God. In order to destroy Evil itself forever He had to allow it to be. Jesus defeated evil with Love and in the end evil, the idea of evil, the possibility of being in opposition or absence of God will no longer be. Kind of like, if you keep a child away from the possibility of getting hurt they will never know how to avoid it themselves. If they dont have opportunity to make the wrong choice then the problem in thier heart that causes the wrong choice will never be dealt with.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 00:39 God is all-powerful and all-seeing. He saw the fall of Adam and Eve before it happened. Why didn't He stop it from happening? Why did God create Lucifer being aware of what Lucifer would do to bring chaos to God's perfect world?
The alternative to an imperfect world is a world where everything and everyone is perfect from the moment of their inception, with no chance to evolve or grow or learn. This would be a very strange world, indeed -- even stranger, I think, than the one in which we now find ourselves :techie-studyingbrown:
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

He created Lucifer at the beginning out of love. However Lucifer made the choice to fall. God did not want to force obedience from his children. And even though he's all seeing it probably speaks much about him since he went on to create us. Then there's an aspect of free will. I am not sure if I have answered you correctly.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

This "why" is at the root of every other question. Will we ever be satisfied with the answers we get? Perhaps not in this plane of existence. You may find comfort from believing that all things eventually work for good. And that loud as evil is, there really is more good that evil in this world.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Lychelle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lychelle.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Lychelle »

This is a question that has been asked for many years. I have always thought that God allowed wickedness because when he created us, we were created out of love and not a desire to control. He made us in his image and not as slaves but as free agents with the right to choose the road we took.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Wamakima wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 03:31 He created Lucifer at the beginning out of love. However Lucifer made the choice to fall. God did not want to force obedience from his children. And even though he's all seeing it probably speaks much about him since he went on to create us. Then there's an aspect of free will. I am not sure if I have answered you correctly.
Free will had nothing to do with it. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

This same question of the reason God created evil has been on since the inception of time. My view is that the reason behind that may stem from the fact that God, being all powerful and all knowing as well as being a just and fair God, created good and evil side by side and imbued man with the decision to distinguish good from bad. If God had created either only good or bad, there was no way man would have been able to exercise his freewill of decision making to choose either good or bad according to the dictates of his conscience.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

TrueWater wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 12:47 I believe and from what I understand from reading the bible that satan didn't create evil, he represented it, caused it, fed it. Evil is the opposite if God. In order to destroy Evil itself forever He had to allow it to be. Jesus defeated evil with Love and in the end evil, the idea of evil, the possibility of being in opposition or absence of God will no longer be. Kind of like, if you keep a child away from the possibility of getting hurt they will never know how to avoid it themselves. If they dont have opportunity to make the wrong choice then the problem in thier heart that causes the wrong choice will never be dealt with.
I have never thought of it from this perspective before but now that you stated it, I can't agree less.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

TrueWater wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 12:47 I believe and from what I understand from reading the bible that satan didn't create evil, he represented it, caused it, fed it. Evil is the opposite if God. In order to destroy Evil itself forever He had to allow it to be. Jesus defeated evil with Love and in the end evil, the idea of evil, the possibility of being in opposition or absence of God will no longer be. Kind of like, if you keep a child away from the possibility of getting hurt they will never know how to avoid it themselves. If they dont have opportunity to make the wrong choice then the problem in thier heart that causes the wrong choice will never be dealt with.
I have never thought of it from your perspective but now that you stated this, I simply can't agree less.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Jajachris wrote: 26 May 2020, 11:34
I agree with this. We could never understand righteousness if there was never a choice to sin. God wants a relationship with us based on choice not because there was no other alternative.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, it doesn't necessary mean that God gave permission to wickedness. God had already given man the power of will. It's either you choose good or bad, your choice. But the most important lesson to learn is, there's always a day of reckoning. Whatever you sow you shall reap
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that God allowed bad things, because in creation he also gave man free will. It is up to each individual how to use it and for what purposes.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

10mile72 wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:03
LeDiplomatique wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 00:39 God is all-powerful and all-seeing. He saw the fall of Adam and Eve before it happened. Why didn't He stop it from happening? Why did God create Lucifer being aware of what Lucifer would do to bring chaos to God's perfect world?
The alternative to an imperfect world is a world where everything and everyone is perfect from the moment of their inception, with no chance to evolve or grow or learn. This would be a very strange world, indeed -- even stranger, I think, than the one in which we now find ourselves :techie-studyingbrown:
I absolutely agree. God created humanity out of the fullness of His love. He loves us so much that He gave us free will. And that's where sin came from. Sin is anything that goes against what God wants for us. Sin is a result of God choosing to let us make our own decisions, which He did for the greater purpose of allowing us to truly choose and love Him back.
Adenike279
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adenike279.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Adenike279 »

God created all things, including good and bad. It is left for humans to make a choice. The choice we make is what defines us.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”