God's Punishment

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Re: God's Punishment

Post by 10mile72 »

tkpumpkin wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 10:34 God explained in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah that he would not destroy the city if there was even one righteous person there. Do you believe that God remains true to this statement; that he would not destroy a righteous person? What role does Jesus Christ have in this for you?
That's a toughie. Most conservative evangelical Christians would say that there's no such thing as a righteous person, but I don't think the people of that time thought that way. I don't think people are righteous or not righteous; we are what we are. The worst of us, given the right circumstances, are capable of much good, and the best, capable of much evil. that's how I see it, anyway. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Inasmuch as God will remain true to His word and will not prevaricate, He also remains a benevolent and forgiving God who is all-merciful and considers the intentions behind the actions of man. He will do what He says He will do, and stop at nothing to punish the wrongdoers when they fail to heed to good counsel.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

These, and many more, are some of the reasons why some people do not believe and I cannot blame them. More than once we read of how the sin or disobedience of one man led to the defeat of a people in war, how is that not destruction even with the righteous present?
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Obviously, God is always faithful to his word. He can never disappoint. And Jesus is my saviour!
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

God does not punish. Rather, we bear consequences for our actions. Of God said he would not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah if there was a righteous person there, maybe, be did because there truly was no righteous person there.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

If God still destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, then it means that he didn't truly see any righteous person there. Jesus is our righteousness. He is the propitiation for our sins.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”