God's Punishment

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

God's Punishment

Post by tkpumpkin »

God explained in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah that he would not destroy the city if there was even one righteous person there. Do you believe that God remains true to this statement; that he would not destroy a righteous person? What role does Jesus Christ have in this for you?
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I believe that this is a very difficult question to answer, and no one can truly know 'God's' intentions but God himself.

It's kind of like the dilemma, if there was a train heading towards a track with 5 bad people tied to it, would you change it to a different track so it would only hit 1 good person?

Personally, I'd like to say that due to the forgiving nature of God, he would not smite an entire city but rather enable teachings and change to take place.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Yes, I do believe it is still true. God is not fickle, saying one thing but doing another. Jesus came so we all be saved. This shows God's love and compassion for us.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

Yes, God remains true. He is a divine being who has fulfilled all his promises so far he told me about. He told Noah, He would not destroy the whole planet using floods. We are alive year two thousand nineteen. We still receive heavy rains, unfortunately some areas become rummaged and can still be repaired a fortunate perspective. Jesus from stories I read about came to shine a light on some matters. The notion is Jesus said, 'I use parables so that the non believers will not understand'. The parable of seeds explains this better up until now a fact I discovered to be true with what I have seen in this world so far.Everything is real only realization is needed.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

The examples of Jesus and Noah prove that righteous people suffer if God wills it. Jesus' suffering brought salvation to mankind, while Noah's ordeal proved his loyalty. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, however, highlighted the extent of God's wrath.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Well I haven't read the Bible but I do know the stories. And I think God likes to test his believers and reward them for their trust and the hardships they go through Jesus and Noah can be given as examples to this. And the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, is the extent of god's wrath to the ones who have disobeyed him and as well as an example to the future generations about the extent of punishment I think
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I could never think of God as a punisher. We get consequences of our own actions and then put the blame on god saying he punished us. I cant imagine a benevolent being like God ever punishing his own creation.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

In the biblical teachings, we find many incidents whereby God was forgiving and merciful to the people despite their misgivings. People change but I think God is always constant.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Yes, I believe God remains true to His Word. A loving God would not lie or deceive. Righteous Lot and his two daughters escaped the city unharmed with the help of angels. God is love. He sent His only son Jesus to shed his blood for us so that we may be saved.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Historically, God has always provided a way for his obedient servants to escape any divine consequences of those who choose to remain disobedient to him. Noah was warned before the flood and directed to build an ark, and First-Century Christians were warned and directed to flee to the mountains before the second destruction of Jerusalem. Their obedience to God's direction is what saved them.
Alphanumeric1967
Currently Reading: Believe Believe Believe
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Alphanumeric1967 »

God's role was to find true faith and not have to know false people against him, they were supposed to follow with faith no questions.
what do I like most about the book? That the 200-year-old believes are still being told and not forgotten.

What is your overall opinion of the book? I think I am thinking of a verse of right before everyone was trying to figuring out if there suppose to kill a savior or set him free, so they decide to crucify him and set a murder free and punches pilot says he won't be remembered by tomorrow but here we are thousands of years later still talking, praying to this savior.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I believe God would never destroy a righteous person, as He is the definition of righteousness, so He cannot unfairly or unjustly bring catastrophe to a truly righteous person. The question is, though, is anyone righteous? The Bible says nobody is righteous, not even one, so nobody can protest against God's punishment since we all deserve it. However, by believing in the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, and in His resurrection, we are forgiven, justified, and sanctified through faith. Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who believe in Jesus and walk by the Spirit. This means that God sees believers as if they had never sinned since they take the character of Jesus and become the righteousness of God. As a result, a believer has the assurance that God will never destroy him/her, neither will eternal damnation come to him, since he/she is justified by faith in the work of Jesus Christ and God will never be unjust in punishing a righteous person.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I feel as if this is taken a little literally. This was a specific instance where God was moved by Abraham's compassion for the city. So much so that he begged God not to destroy it for the sake of the righteous men and women who lived there and God agreed for Abraham's sake.
I don't think it is relevant to all other situations as God has many times allowed 'righteous' people to be captured and kept in bondage during events in the Bible. We would have to be naive to think, knowing the recorded history during those times, that no one died during a capturing of a city or a war that was 'righteous'. Whole towns were pillaged for instance during the siege of Jerusalem. I am sure many people died then.
Using this instance to say God will never allow a righteous person to be destroyed in general, for me, is a bit problematic.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

God is not a man that He should lie. He is ever true to all that He has said. Even today, God will never destroy the righteous with the wicked.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Yes, He remains true because even if this mortal body be destroyed, the righteous still have hope through the blood of Jesus. The lamb that was slain by Adam represented the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”