Too Fictionized?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Too Fictionized?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I loved the way the author filled in the gaps that weren't fully covered (or were simply glossed over) in the Bible. Granted, I do think of this book as partly fiction because of it. However, I also believe it could help people understand passages and stories of the Old Testament that have posed difficulties in comprehension for, dare I say, millions of people since the Old Testament was written. What do you think? Is it too fictionized for your taste? What parts made you feel that way?
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I don't think this book is too fictionalized. I appreciate that the author has tried to make the Old Testament stories more understandable using modern wording.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I mean, to be very frank, I regard religious texts as fiction, or at least mostly fiction, to begin with. It's interesting to see how others view biblical stories and events, and how they make sense of the stories by filling in the gaps or setting out to create explanations for things. It can be fun to see what others believe or how they perceive the old "canon" texts.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:58 I don't think this book is too fictionalized. I appreciate that the author has tried to make the Old Testament stories more understandable using modern wording.
I appreciate that as well. It has (kind of) been done before, putting it in modern language that is. One of the Bibles I had as an undergrad had been 'translated' into modern language. I used it for years because it made it so much easier to understand. This author went the extra step of inserting content to cover the 'holes' in the stories. I can't help but think of those parts as fiction. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

SavannaEGoth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 22:36 I mean, to be very frank, I regard religious texts as fiction, or at least mostly fiction, to begin with. It's interesting to see how others view biblical stories and events, and how they make sense of the stories by filling in the gaps or setting out to create explanations for things. It can be fun to see what others believe or how they perceive the old "canon" texts.
I can see your point there, but then, does that make all history texts that we weren't there in person to see the events unfold for fiction? One point I've always made with my kids is that though the events (more than likely) did happen, history is written by the victors. Therefore the perspective it is written from isn't necessarily the way things actually happened. As for this book, I greatly enjoyed seeing how the author chose to 'fill in the blanks' in the Bible stories addressed. I also like exploring different beliefs and how 'canon' texts are interpreted not just by those who believe in them but by those outside the religion as well. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 01:05
Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:58 I don't think this book is too fictionalized. I appreciate that the author has tried to make the Old Testament stories more understandable using modern wording.
I appreciate that as well. It has (kind of) been done before, putting it in modern language that is. One of the Bibles I had as an undergrad had been 'translated' into modern language. I used it for years because it made it so much easier to understand. This author went the extra step of inserting content to cover the 'holes' in the stories. I can't help but think of those parts as fiction. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
There are many versions of the Bible. Even the King James version that so many use is just a translation from the original languages that the scrolls were written in. King James decided what to put in and what to leave out. The Catholic Bible has a different number of books from the Protestant one. Who's to say if the translators in his time didn't add their own spin on the stories.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Jsovermyer wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 06:18

There are many versions of the Bible. Even the King James version that so many use is just a translation from the original languages that the scrolls were written in. King James decided what to put in and what to leave out. The Catholic Bible has a different number of books from the Protestant one. Who's to say if the translators in his time didn't add their own spin on the stories.
True! It was actually in one of these forums that I first heard about the differences in the Catholic Bible and others as far as how many books there are. As far as translations, you have no idea how many times I've either asked that very question (or a very similar version) or had a discussion about it with my husband and kids. Sounds like we think very much alike! Thanks for stopping back by!
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

I wouldn't say the book is at any rate fictionalized. It doesn't contradict the old testament at any point.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I actually searched for the parts and interpretation of Old testament while reading the book and nothing was too far from the reality so I believe it wasn't too fictionized.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 10:09 I loved the way the author filled in the gaps that weren't fully covered (or were simply glossed over) in the Bible. Granted, I do think of this book as partly fiction because of it. However, I also believe it could help people understand passages and stories of the Old Testament that have posed difficulties in comprehension for, dare I say, millions of people since the Old Testament was written. What do you think? Is it too fictionized for your taste? What parts made you feel that way?
I think that the book was partly fiction due to the information the author uses to feel in the chronological gaps in the passages, but I do not think the book is too fictionized.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Burnaard+42 wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 02:59 I wouldn't say the book is at any rate fictionalized. It doesn't contradict the old testament at any point.
Areej Tahir wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:42 I actually searched for the parts and interpretation of Old testament while reading the book and nothing was too far from the reality so I believe it wasn't too fictionized.
I completely agree that it doesn't contradict the Old Testament and kudos, Areej, for looking that up as you read!. The author does an excellent job filling in the blanks to make things a solid story. I'm glad you found his (her? Val could be either!) efforts successful! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I do not think this book is too fictionized. I agree with you that the author's style helps to understand difficult passages better. It is my opinion that he achieved his goal, so fiction is a positive aspect of the book, not something negative.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I dont think the book is too fictionalized . It is a great book full of hope and understating. It gives us inspiration
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

fmd1821 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 02:47 I do not think this book is too fictionized. I agree with you that the author's style helps to understand difficult passages better. It is my opinion that he achieved his goal, so fiction is a positive aspect of the book, not something negative.
I love that you look at it that way! I didn't mean to imply that it would be an entirely negative thing. I just wondered if anyone felt the author had gone overboard in supplementing what we are told in the Bible.
essyallan7475 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 22:46 I dont think the book is too fictionalized . It is a great book full of hope and understating. It gives us inspiration
It is definitely done in such a way that it provides the opportunity for greater understanding. In that way, it could be inspirational to some.

Thanks to you both for stopping in and commenting!
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I must say, this topic is really interesting since I didn't think to look at it that way. I suppose I was taught in school to think of the bible as historic, but while I was reading the book I only saw the parts the author added as just a way to understand everything better. Having seen this thread however, I will reconsider everything the author wrote as I can see how it would be considered fiction.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”