Too Fictionized?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Too Fictionized?

Post by MirageParul »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 10:09 I loved the way the author filled in the gaps that weren't fully covered (or were simply glossed over) in the Bible. Granted, I do think of this book as partly fiction because of it. However, I also believe it could help people understand passages and stories of the Old Testament that have posed difficulties in comprehension for, dare I say, millions of people since the Old Testament was written. What do you think? Is it too fictionized for your taste? What parts made you feel that way?
I'd just like to say that I'm intrigued by your use of the word 'fictionize'. The dictionary says it is synonymous with 'fictionalize'. But to me, 'fictionize' seems more apt in this context -"to convert into a novel". 'Fictionalize' seems more to mean "to re-tell something real as if it were fiction, especially by fabricating falsehoods". Did you have a specific purpose in mind?
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

MirageP wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 04:16
Kelyn wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 10:09 I loved the way the author filled in the gaps that weren't fully covered (or were simply glossed over) in the Bible. Granted, I do think of this book as partly fiction because of it. However, I also believe it could help people understand passages and stories of the Old Testament that have posed difficulties in comprehension for, dare I say, millions of people since the Old Testament was written. What do you think? Is it too fictionized for your taste? What parts made you feel that way?
I'd just like to say that I'm intrigued by your use of the word 'fictionize'. The dictionary says it is synonymous with 'fictionalize'. But to me, 'fictionize' seems more apt in this context -"to convert into a novel". 'Fictionalize' seems more to mean "to re-tell something real as if it were fiction, especially by fabricating falsehoods". Did you have a specific purpose in mind?
I used that particular word rather than fictionalize because the author seemed to have the intent of staying as close to the original bible story as possible while filling in the blanks. He was trying to make the stories read more smoothly and be more understandable. I think he achieved this. In my opinion, he wasn't trying to turn it into fiction or to lie about/expand upon (think of fishing tales here :lol2:) what happened in the stories (at least not intentionally) and I recognize this. To me, though, anything inserted into the original stories (in any interpretation/translation, including the most recent interpretation, though we can't be certain that's accurate either) is, by necessity, made up/fiction.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

I used that particular word rather than fictionalize because the author seemed to have the intent of staying as close to the original bible story as possible while filling in the blanks. He was trying to make the stories read more smoothly and be more understandable. I think he achieved this. In my opinion, he wasn't trying to turn it into fiction or to lie about/expand upon (think of fishing tales here :lol2:) what happened in the stories (at least not intentionally) and I recognize this. To me, though, anything inserted into the original stories (in any interpretation/translation, including the most recent interpretation, though we can't be certain that's accurate either) is, by necessity, made up/fiction.
Yes! That's what I thought, although maybe I didn't express it so well. I loved that you were deliberate in your choice of words.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think if the fiction helps to illustrate a point the author is trying to make then it's worth "stretching" the story some. As a reader if I generally know the book is titled as fiction then I can take the context and actual happenstance less seriously or not look into it so much. I personally enjoy fiction and tend to focus more on the moral or point the author is attempting to make rather than the historical accuracy.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

nchoate12 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 09:01 I think if the fiction helps to illustrate a point the author is trying to make then it's worth "stretching" the story some. As a reader if I generally know the book is titled as fiction then I can take the context and actual happenstance less seriously or not look into it so much. I personally enjoy fiction and tend to focus more on the moral or point the author is attempting to make rather than the historical accuracy.
In many cases, yes. Biblically, I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, with all the translations there have been of the Bible, we can't be certain of its historical accuracy. All we can do then is ensure that what 'interpretations' are created during our time remain accurate to what we now have as our Bible. Otherwise, future generations will (unbeknownst to them) be presented with something even less 'historically accurate' than what we have now. 'Stretching' that truth would exacerbate that, at least somewhat, depending on how far the 'stretch' took it. I agree that knowing parts of what you are reading are, indeed, fiction would help you 'take it with a grain of salt' so to speak. I appreciate you stopping in and adding to the conversation!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I've not read the book yet, but I hope to soon. Actually, being a Christian, I don't really enjoy books that mix Bible stories with fiction. To me, it takes integrity out of the Bible, as if everything is fiction. Anyway, I commend the author for his ability to weave more events into the story in a logical way.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 10:37 I've not read the book yet, but I hope to soon. Actually, being a Christian, I don't really enjoy books that mix Bible stories with fiction. To me, it takes integrity out of the Bible, as if everything is fiction. Anyway, I commend the author for his ability to weave more events into the story in a logical way.
That was one of the reasons I posed this question. I wondered if anyone thought he had gone too far with what he had inserted into the stories. The consensus seems to be that he did not add too much or in an ineffective or offensive way. It's interesting to see that some disagree. Thanks for stopping in and adding to the discussion!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

i dont think it was too fictionalized, i mean with so many Biblical references that supported the stories
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 04:15 i dont think it was too fictionalized, i mean with so many Biblical references that supported the stories
He did, indeed, stay true to the biblical stories/references that he was expanding on, even taking into account his additions. I think the vast majority of us can agree on that. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

The fiction part fills the gaps and somehow 'answers' some quesions in my mind. It is an interesting view of the Bible stories.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Hannalore wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 14:29 The fiction part fills the gaps and somehow 'answers' some quesions in my mind. It is an interesting view of the Bible stories.
I think that was his intent, to make the stories more understandable and perhaps to answer questions that had gone unanswered before. It does indeed give us an interesting view of what was before incomplete scenes and events. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

The Bible is not like any other book, at least to me. I find it a little (or more) presumptuous to fill in "the gaps that weren't fully covered in the Bible" I believe there is a reason why it is so. Or, maybe, I am presumptuous too to criticize somebody else. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

aacodreanu wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 05:00
The Bible is not like any other book, at least to me. I find it a little (or more) presumptuous to fill in "the gaps that weren't fully covered in the Bible" I believe there is a reason why it is so. Or, maybe, I am presumptuous too to criticize somebody else. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
Nope, no offense here! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Many on this thread seem to have found it helpful in gleaning comprehension. For myself, it gave at least possible answers to questions I've had for years. I completely understand how you could have found it presumptuous though. To each their own! thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I don't think it was too fictionalized. The author used fiction in order to make the stories more interesting and that deftly serves the purpose.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Aditi Sapate wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 08:19 I don't think it was too fictionalized. The author used fiction in order to make the stories more interesting and that deftly serves the purpose.
He did, indeed, succeed in this goal. The "add-ins" not only make them more interesting, but they also help increase comprehension that was lacking in some of the stories. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”