Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Toya1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toya1.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Has our God left us alone?

Post by Toya1 »

I believe the stories in the Bible are all still very relevant. The lessons embedded in each story never gets old, they can still be applied to modern day living - relationships, work, family affairs, forgiveness, being honest, fair and so much more.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

I am a believer of God, and yes I am sure that he didn't left us alone. He is still with us, in our heart. Protecting and guiding us with his lessons. He is always here, not in physical form, but in our beliefs and in our trust on him.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Your argument is not clear? Are you saying the Bible isn't important anymore or the book, I Will Make Thee a Great Nation[I/] ?
If you are referring to the book, I can understand if you don't find it interesting but not the Bible. If you find the Bible unreadable its normal. That's because most times, of our own accord and wisdom, it is really difficult to grab the real messages and instructions it contains, that's why we need help.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think there will always be applicable material from the past. For example, Joseph's story can still teach us about forgiveness and steadfastness.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Othervi wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:29 In the past, scriptural stories related to the Bible were very important in human life. They presented a worldview in which they showed human beings important things related to the Hereafter, the fall of man, the afterlife, the rewards and punishments, and so on.

But do these stories still work today? Or are they just read for hobby and enjoyment? Stories like the ones in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

In my opinion, they no longer have a role in human life, because our history has changed a lot. Now these stories are important for literal aspects. Also they're noticeable because they are beautiful and probably have some tips. But in our view of the world they have little effect.
In the past, almost nobody read scriptural stories; they were written on papyrus scrolls that only a rare few people had in their possession, and most people couldn't read anyway. Of course, there was an oral tradition. :techie-studyingbrown:
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Pardon me for disagreeing to your opinion. These stories are essential in giving humankind direction. Someone once said that 'wise people learn from other people's mistakes'. The mistakes of the ancient people and how God dealt with them help us to restructure our own lives.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Humans have a tendency of realizing their mistakes mostly when they are punished. This is the reason God would punish or hide his face so that people realize their dependence on His providence thus make things right with God.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I believe these stories are as relevant today as they were when they were first written. I look to the Bible for answers to my problems. The Bible says there is nothing new under the sun. Humans may have increased in knowledge over the years - that’s in the Bible, too - but all that we know is not even a drop in the bucket in God’s universe.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

The stories of the Bible are still relevant today, especially to believers. They are inspiring, able to teach lesson and provide guidance. I believe that there is nothing in our history, present and future that will make bible stories irrelevant. God is always present and is word is eternal.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Some of the scriptures help in understanding this life better. So I won't agree with you
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

My two cents, in regards as to whether the Bible is a collection of stories or whether these books do have an impact in ones life, some of these books provide an inspiration for dark times. Others give sound advice on hoe to live a content life.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

God did not leave us alone. Though he is not physically present,he gave us bible,bhagavat gita and many holy books for different religions to teach and tell how to do things correctly and handle your emotions the way they have to be done. he is always with us in our heart.
kmg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmg.html

Post by kmg »

We tend to disrespect Bible or any other religious books when we can't understand their depths. Irrespective of time/age, their summary remain relatable to everyone and that's why they are called great books. Books like the BOTM act like a torchlight in our lives.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html

Post by Jimi Adewole »

If God has left us, He was never here. Stories like these urge us to understand His nature and let that serve as a mirror to better understand and improve ourselves.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

The world has changed but the lesson is still the same. There is a lot we can learn from those old time stories. Each individual story is fashioned to provide a specific lesson. They are as relevant today as they were in ancient days.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”