Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Re: Has our God left us alone?

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

God in the Old Testament manifested his plan for salvation through the Jews. The same is continued to all humanity in the New Testament through Jesus Christ. He has not left us. The Holy Spirit is with us always.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

I don't agree with you, neither do I totally disagree with you. Because the Bible stories would forever guide us in our belief and would always remain the way of life of the believer. The stories grant us the wisdom that gives us insights into the life of actual believers before us. However, we currently read and listen to the stories as if they were fictional drama stories that we are supposed to enjoy but not really learn and practice any of the actual teachings in them.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think the lessons of books are not related to how realistic the stories are. It doesn't just include the Bible. If the story has magic in it, cyberpunk robots in it, or some other hocus pocus in it. Does that mean they are meaningless?
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

"The Book" is the ancient of days yet the most current! That's all I can say.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

God is unchanging and because he loved us then he loves us now. God blesses us each even when we don't think he was there. I know that if everyone would look for miracles in their life, regardless of how small, they would find something. Whether God acted through an angel or a neighbor it is the same.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:42 The Old Testament has little effect on my life. The New Testament has more value. The teachings of Jesus give ideas for being more loving, more tolerant of others and less judgemental.
I completely agree with you that most of the issues we face today are contained in the New Testament. But, still, that does not rule out the Old Testament and does not mean that our God has left us alone.
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

I think their value can not only be judged by the individual person reading them. Whether it calls to them or not. I enjoy reading these stories for their historical and literary value. Others view reading scripture as a way to be close to their god whether it relates to their life or not.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I read the New Testament more than the Old, but I still believe there is value in the lessons of faith from the people who lived during the Old Testament Times. I think there are many things that happen in life that we don’t understand, but the Bible has examples of all types of people overcoming many different challenges. Their stories inspire me to overcome my fears, have faith, and treat people with compassion and respect.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

"God" is just a vague term for a higher being. I don't think he has left us alone. He is in many forms and is portrayed differently in various religions. When it comes to the Bible and Christian stories, however, these simply embody a general bit of advice which are still applicable to today's world if one chooses to acknowledge it.
dcw
Favorite Author: Louisa May Alcott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcw.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
fav_author_id: 332

Post by dcw »

I think the stories of the Bible have lessons that are applicable to today's world. Whether viewed as a religious book or not, the life lessons are universal. And, has God left us alone? I don't know the answer to that but I know that sometimes it feels that way.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I don't think God has left us alone at all. The world and societal values may have changed but God is even more relevant in our lives today than ever. In my opinion, the Bible is like a manual and instruction on how to live my best life to please God and that makes it always relevant. Insightful question. Cheers!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think the Bible will always play an important role in the lives of certain people. It can be interpreted in so many ways and made to pertain to life today. That is the beauty of literature in general, it is always open to interpretation.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 If you think reading the bible has no effect on your life, you're not really reading it. Yes, the situations have changed, technology has changed, but His lessons remain. His grace and mercy remain. Books like the BOTM help us to put things into perspective.
I wholeheartedly agree; sure the world has changed drastically, but if you really read the bible--not just skim through it--you will find that the lessons are timeless.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

Othervi wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:29 In the past, scriptural stories related to the Bible were very important in human life. They presented a worldview in which they showed human beings important things related to the Hereafter, the fall of man, the afterlife, the rewards and punishments, and so on.

But do these stories still work today? Or are they just read for hobby and enjoyment? Stories like the ones in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

In my opinion, they no longer have a role in human life, because our history has changed a lot. Now these stories are important for literal aspects. Also they're noticeable because they are beautiful and probably have some tips. But in our view of the world they have little effect.

I don't see how you can possibly think this? A woman is raped and her brothers are ready to murder to uphold her honour? That still happens today. Couples deal with infertility and unrequited love? That still happens today. Slavery still happens today. People having to stand up for what they believe in, or defend their beliefs in the face of consternation and derision, or having to follow their beliefs in secret because of autocratic oppressors. That still happens today. Wondering if God exists because life sucks, that is not a new question. People forget that it was humans who chose to let pain and suffering into the world, and we often forget that actions have consequences.
I think you need to look at the Bible from a perspective of God watching over humanity, begging them to do what will benefit them and stop chasing finite things that will only bring temporary pleasure, and cause great pain.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

One of God's characteristics is that he does not change nor do his promises. When a nation rejects the Bible and no longer wants to see religion in the public square, they cannot expect to continue living under the blessing of a God they have told to go away! The stories in the Old Testament are there to teach us what happens to a nation that moves away from God.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”