Gods Wrath

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Gods Wrath

Post by kdstrack »

God's wrath is the other side of the coin of his holiness. To be holy he must love all good totally and hate all evil totally. Any sin, no matter how "small," incurs God's wrath. When Adam sinned in the garden, God showed his wrath against sin by putting them out of the garden. In a way, God's wrath assures that he will also keep his promises! Without his wrath, he would forfeit his holiness and would not be able to keep his promises.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I have to say, the flood is probably the greatest example of God's wrath. He was so upset and disappointed with humanity that He pretty much committed mass genocide on us. That in itself goes to show the power that His fury can unleash.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:19 For me, it is the flood. God didn't want anything more to do with the new creation called humans and decided to get rid of them. Can you imagine - after the torrential rain stopped, the water peppered with bloated, floating bodies of humans and animals. This is probably why God said that he would no longer let his overwhelming wrath get the best of him again.
I agree with you. The flood is one of the most significant happenings in the bible. God's name is love. He cannot bear to see humans suffer; he loves us too much.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

When God obliterated his people for worshiping the golden calf. The people made a statue out of gold and began worshiping it after God told them not to worship idols. God never punished anyone without giving them ample warning first. He knows what's in their hearts also; just like when he had mercy on one of the kings because the king, although he took Rebecca in to be his wife, didn't know that she was married to Isaac. God said it was a great crime to take another man's wife, but since he didn't know, he wouldn't be punished. This shows that God does not punish people when they are ignorantly sinning, he knows what's in their hearts and it's only when they are intentionally sinning against him that they get punished. I learned this from reading the book.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

The Great Flood, for sure. I am not a big fan of the idea that God is willing to murder us all :))...However, I did enjoy the book.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

I dread God's anger but I think it's best we concentrate more on God's love. That way, we will understand how best to avoid his anger
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

tkpumpkin wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:46 When God obliterated his people for worshiping the golden calf. The people made a statue out of gold and began worshiping it after God told them not to worship idols. God never punished anyone without giving them ample warning first. He knows what's in their hearts also; just like when he had mercy on one of the kings because the king, although he took Rebecca in to be his wife, didn't know that she was married to Isaac. God said it was a great crime to take another man's wife, but since he didn't know, he wouldn't be punished. This shows that God does not punish people when they are ignorantly sinning, he knows what's in their hearts and it's only when they are intentionally sinning against him that they get punished. I learned this from reading the book.
I agree with you God doesn't punish without ample warnings and it is us humans who doesn't need to the warnings hence making the god unleash his wrath on us. Sodom, Gomorrah and the great flood.. all these incidents shoes the same thing I think. And the god knows if we are sinning intentionally or not. So he doesn't punish us when we are sinning without knowing it.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Like the flood, the destruction of Sodom is also there. Whenever people go against God, He likes punishing them.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

The flood. But in a way that was a show of love as well. Imagine what life would be like now if the flood hadn't taken out all the evil people of that time. There children's children and so on would be even worse today. We were given a fresh start.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I agree, the flood was the terrible but an ophiophobic person like me will tell you that the snakes were the worst.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

mariana90 wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 21:17 I agree 100%, it's the flood. Not just because of its scope, which basically was the greatest genocide known to man, but because many innocent people died. Plus, and this is just my twisted imagination taking things too far, drowning has got to be one of the worst possible ways to go.
Nothing twisted about it. I agree: death by fire or death by drowning are the worst. Plus, imagine the anticipation as the rain just kept pouring and pouring day after day. What a terrible way to go. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The flood is equally significant for me. That magnitude of torrential rainfall and incomparable flooding cannot be paralleled in my view; an act that God agreed afterward was massive. The overall impact of that flood has not yet settled to date. We should be wary of God's wrath.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I would also say the worse instance of the wrath of God was the flood. I cannot imagine the scores of dead bodies floating on top of the water mass. It was worse because apart from a selected few, it's effect was encompassing.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

For me, the flood was the worst. Imagine wiping the whole human race with a great flood. That's really huge!
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

It would be where God brought flood upon the world. Still, his wrath or anger lasts for a moment, while his mercy is forever more.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”