Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 02 Oct 2019, 13:41
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 31
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
- Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar
That is a serious question. The author has used the Holy Bible as subject matter. Its unfortunate he has included opinions from other religious beliefs which may conflict with the Christian doctrine.
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 08 Mar 2019, 05:44
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 35
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
- Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse
Making a reference to the Holy Bible is proof that his book is based on the Bible. It proves that he is not writing from his head. He only decided to retell the Old Testament in an easy to read and comprehend way. This is not a conflict of interest at all. He is only acting as a good teacher of the Old Testament. Perhaps, he is an Old Testament major in Theology. Many references give credibility to the book. This is purely an academic way of writing. No man is an island! It proves that there are many people in the same line of his thought. The source that I think is more authentic is the Holy Bible.
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 09 Oct 2019, 13:42
- Favorite Book: Burn Zones
- Currently Reading: Mortal Engines
- Bookshelf Size: 12
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frankiekelley.html
- Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
- Reading Device: B07XL7G4HH
I think he makes some very good points with those references, but one I have mixed feelings about is his interpretation of the creation story. I’m not entirely sure he makes a good point there.
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 29 Aug 2019, 15:46
- 2019 Reading Goal: 30
- Currently Reading: 10 directions
- Bookshelf Size: 9
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
- Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams
The bible is a collection of several books put into one. It makes sense to reference other religious books of course.