Which character do you like the best?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Which character do you like the best?

Post by LV2R »

Out of the 219 Old Testament stories retold in this book, which character do you like the best? Why?

I like Joseph because even though he was misunderstood and mistreated by his family, sold as a slave in a foreign country, accused falsely, and sent to prison, he kept a good attitude and succeeded wherever he was and in whatever circumstance that happened to him. He believed that God could use all the bad things to accomplish good.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I like the story of David and Goliath. It shows that even a small insignificant person can accomplish great things.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Odd as it sounds, my favorite character in these retellings is actually Lucifer. I love the way the author gave him wants, needs, and dreams of his own, rather than painting him as "evil for evil's sake", as many portrayals of him do. I think stories are always richer when the antagonist is "human", too.

That being said - not being a religious person myself, I look at the work from a literary/storytelling angle, rather than an inspirational/belief-affirming one. Perhaps someone with a different perspective would look more at the messages rather than the delivery.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

My favorite is Joseph, Jacob’s son. Despite being sold into slavery by his brothers, Joseph rises to power in Egypt and saves his family from famine. Joseph’s calm and gracious response to his brothers’ betrayal bestows the idea of forgiveness is more calming than the idea of revenge.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

evraealtana wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:54 Odd as it sounds, my favorite character in these retellings is actually Lucifer. I love the way the author gave him wants, needs, and dreams of his own, rather than painting him as "evil for evil's sake", as many portrayals of him do. I think stories are always richer when the antagonist is "human", too.

That being said - not being a religious person myself, I look at the work from a literary/storytelling angle, rather than an inspirational/belief-affirming one. Perhaps someone with a different perspective would look more at the messages rather than the delivery.
it's not odd at all. I am really intrigued by Lucifer too. Lucifer is a very strong and deep character.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

Lucifer, even though he is considered such a bad guy, will always be my favorite. I tend to shoot for the ones that are outcasted by their family and locked away in an eternal prison.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Renee_Prior1995

evraealtana wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:54 Odd as it sounds, my favorite character in these retellings is actually Lucifer. I love the way the author gave him wants, needs, and dreams of his own, rather than painting him as "evil for evil's sake", as many portrayals of him do. I think stories are always richer when the antagonist is "human", too.

I agree. Lucifer is my favorite biblical character.
Renee_Prior1995

Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:23 My favorite is Joseph, Jacob’s son. Despite being sold into slavery by his brothers, Joseph rises to power in Egypt and saves his family from famine. Joseph’s calm and gracious response to his brothers’ betrayal bestows the idea of forgiveness is more calming than the idea of revenge.
Joseph sounds like a great character!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Mine is Joseph too. I really admire how he received his brothers despite all that they did to him. Sincerely, I don't think I would have done that, if I were in his shoes.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite is Joseph. He is the personification of what forgiveness means! He was sold into slavery by his own brothers but when they needed him he was there without anger or judgement toward them, just as God is with us.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

My favourite is Joseph. He is a good man and kind-hearted, he does not bode ill will to others even when he is wronged. Even after he is dealt a bad hand he always rises up.
Fiyin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Fiyin »

My favourite is Joseph .I know what it's like to be your fathers favourite .
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I like that Noah takes charge during an awful situation. Without his leadership things could have tuned out a lot worse.
amjohnson13
JR_Keller
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by JR_Keller »

My favorite character was Jospeh because even though he had a tough life, he always kept optimistic
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 14:34

it's not odd at all. I am really intrigued by Lucifer too. Lucifer is a very strong and deep character.
I'm glad that the author made Lucifer a strong character. Too often books portray him as only evil or a talking snake.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”