Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Days of Creation

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I have always wondered that. This was before days and nights were created so how did they measure a day? I think the author's theory gives it some clarity.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 02:26 I think its not literal days. I think its could be 7 defined periods. Or maybe 7 seconds. Someone even pointed out that the length of the days were longer than what it is now. But i think its one of those mysteries that are kept from human kind, and thats fine.
True, it's not literal 7 days, but years. The bible states that (2 Peter 3:8) " One day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. " Meaning creation period is a duration of about seven thousand years.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Nimisha_91 wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 22:55 I have always wondered that. This was before days and nights were created so how did they measure a day? I think the author's theory gives it some clarity.
Please check from your Bible 2 Peter 3:8, It clearly states the duration.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Definitely don't think it was literally seven days. We define a day by a 24 hour system of measurement that we humans made up, who knows what the length of a day was before that system was in place. You could argue that it is the period between the sun rising, setting, and then rising again, but if you are in the far north or far south, they have some over 24 hour periods of straight sunlight, or straight darkness around the solstices. And the Bible states the sun didn't even exist until Day 4, so before then really isn't determinable anyway.
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

B Creech wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 03:28 That's something I believe no one can say for sure. The Bible says "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day " (KJV) 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think God goes by a "time" as we know it. This is just one of the great mysteries in the Bible, in my humble opinion!
I agree with this! I think there is no way we can know for sure how many 24-hour periods went into the making of the universe, and I'm ok with a little mystery there. How long it took is not nearly as important as the symbolism in the number and the fact that God did, in fact, create our beautiful world.
klee8988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klee8988.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by klee8988 »

B Creech wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 03:28 That's something I believe no one can say for sure. The Bible says "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day " (KJV) 2 Peter 3:8. I don't think God goes by a "time" as we know it. This is just one of the great mysteries in the Bible, in my humble opinion!
That is my thoughts exactly! Mankind invented time. I believe day is a figurative label maybe just for the time it took to complete the task mentioned.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I don't believe there were actually seven 24-hour days. The "days" are a concept, and the various men who wrote the pieces that became the Bible's Book of Genesis were documenting what they believed to be the process. Interestingly, the story of creation as told in Genesis closely parallels the "Big Bang" theory of how the universe came to be.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Juliet+1 wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 15:55 I don't believe there were actually seven 24-hour days. The "days" are a concept, and the various men who wrote the pieces that became the Bible's Book of Genesis were documenting what they believed to be the process. Interestingly, the story of creation as told in Genesis closely parallels the "Big Bang" theory of how the universe came to be.
I agree with you that the creation story parallels the Big Bang theory. I've often thought that myself. For instance when God separated the land and water; they could not have separated from each other without a 'big bang' of some kind! I believe God spoke everything into being (except Adam and Eve) as the Bible says, but I believe there was a lot of noise, rumbling, and shaking as it was all being put into place.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Obviously when it comes to the bible people will always have their own interpretations of what a verse etc means. For me I am a literal person. God gave us 6 days to work and 1 to rest. if it was a different amount of time for creation, it would have been written in the bible, but it wasn't. For me this was God's way of giving us the days of the week as we have them. From memory I think John MacArthur talks about this, so do others but I can't remember names :)
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Thank you for citing that! I initially thought the days of creation were literal but with that illustration, it is hard to tell which one is true. Indeed, it is a mystery.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This theory and statement has been one of the first way to attempt to marry science and religion. Regardless of your beliefs, there are undeniable proofs about certain aspects of the earth, geological history, and the formation of many aspects of life as we know it. Theories such as the "non-literal" definition of days allows there to be less of a conflict between the two.
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

God's way of doing things surpasses any human understanding, so we are told. Again we hear that a thousand years are like a day to God. So the accuracy of the timeline can not be articulated by human understanding.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I think it’s plausible that creative days were more like ages. The above comments are true, the Bible does say that a thousand years is like a day to God (2 Peter 3:8).
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

I am very sure seven days of creation are seven twenty four hour periods, and tge following is my reasoning.

One, did the writers of the bible not have acsess to words such as moments and time spand, and with the answear being yes then why would they have said days?

Two, plants were created before light, and there is only so long a plant can be without light before it becomes unhealthy and begins to die.

Three, adam and eve were made at seperate times of the day and if a day was a thousand years then that means it could have been nigh on 5 to 9 hundred years before Adam and God figured out it was not good for adam to be with out a mate.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

Fazzier wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 03:22

God may at times be mysterious however he is also very very serious about details and accuracy that being said he had words for years and ages when he had words for day. Just because we can't creat all he did in a twenty four hour span don't mean he couldent. Or didnt
Thank you for citing that! I initially thought the days of creation were literal but with that illustration, it is hard to tell which one is true. Indeed, it is a mystery.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”