Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Do you think the title is suitable for the book?

Post by Kabui-nj »

Not really. When I first read the title, my mind shifted to the patriotic part of the Bible and not stories of key figures in the Old Testament.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I don't particularly mind the title, taking from the Bible directly.

However, I do feel like it takes away from the theme of the book - particularly if you aren't familiar with the teachings of the Old Testament. At first glance, I thought it was a book about the United States politics or something similar.

"Thee" is not exclusive to biblical stories either, it's found in a lot of Shakespearean era works.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I think the title is well suited for the book since it focuses on the old testaments in the bible. Those who are familiar with the bible would be quick to pick it up.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

The book's title is appropriate because it conveys God's promise to Jacob. This, however, sets the stage for religious conflict since those who follow the old testament (Christian or not) will want to claim that they are the chosen nation. Hence, the intolerant individuals within these religious groups find a reason to perpetuate violence.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I think it is perfectly suitable and the word "thee" gives a hint about the plot.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I think the title is perfectly suited for this book. Those familiar with the Old Testament will recognize this immediately as the promise God made to Abraham. These words are not just for Abraham, but for the whole world because a little after this statement in Genesis it also says that all nations of the world would be blessed through him.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Adebowale_Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebowale-gideon.html
Latest Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Adebowale_Gideon »

I think the title is okay, because "thee" is used alot in the Old Testament in the Bible.
When I saw the name I knew it would be about religion. Although I haven't read it yet I still think it is a good name.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Initially, I thought the bok may be related to politics or patriotism according to the title. I did not expect it to be about religion.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

I think the title fits well with the book. The promise of 'a great nation' was made in the old testament and this book is purely based on that.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I think the title is appropriate for the book. It speaks of God's promises to Abraham and Israel
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

The Title was taken from the Bible itself. Genesis Chapter 12 verse 2. When God talk to Abraham and promise him to be a Great nation. And it is appropriate because that's ultimate goal of God for the Human kind. And was shown for every book in the Bible including the New Testament.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I disagree with your opinion, as I believe that the title is suitable for the book. This is because the title is God's promise given to Abraham on making his descendants a great nation. This promise is one of the first promises of the Old Testament. Thus, the title sets the mood for the book, since the book is focused on God's promises throughout the Holy Scriptures, in this way making the title extremely effective.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

I had mixed feelings about the title. When I first saw the title, I didn't think that the book would be biblical. My first thought was that the book would be more political or social. Now, after reading the book, I think the title is actually very suitable for the book.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

It seems the title is suitable for the book. The Old Testament traces the Genesis of the contemporary society and how it has developed into a great nation with many continents.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Viewing the title from the author's point of view, I think the title is very suitable for the book. You are thinking otherwise because you are viewing it from your point of view. The title is a quotation taken from Genesis 12:2 (King James Version). The book is based on the nation of Israel and not the making of any other nation.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”