Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michelle Fred wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 09:04 Reading the Old Testament leaves me with more questions than answers. I haven't read the book, but when I do I hope it will provide answers to my most nagging questions.
The book does go a long way in deciphering most of the Old Testament scripture and I found the passages expounded upon with additional themes. I hope you get to read this book and see what it's all about for yourself.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I don't think it changed my understanding of the Bible. It just improved my understanding on what I already knew about it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nyambura Githui wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 02:19 I don't think it changed my understanding of the Bible. It just improved my understanding on what I already knew about it.
I'm glad that the book helped in your understanding of Old Testament passages and I would like to know the specific passages where this understanding was significant.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I believe books like this are a great resource to further our understanding of the Bible.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I have actually studied theology - so I enjoy reading most interpretations. This author put many stories into layman's terms to make it easier and didn't stray too far from the original intent.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

My husband has only recently gotten into theology. He's making his way through the bible, though he didn't start with the Old Testament. We've listened to a few scholarly studies centered around the bible and they've helped us better understand some of the passages. This book will further help us understand.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 08:06 I believe books like this are a great resource to further our understanding of the Bible.
I agree, they are a great resource and should be a specific option in deciphering most of the Old Testament scriptures. I found this book to be a big help to me.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I appreciated the author's interpretation of the scriptures. The part that affected my understanding the most was the passage about David and Goliath. I got a refreshing interpretation of that passage.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:32 My husband has only recently gotten into theology. He's making his way through the bible, though he didn't start with the Old Testament. We've listened to a few scholarly studies centered around the bible and they've helped us better understand some of the passages. This book will further help us understand.
I'm glad that this book will help to understand some of the passages for you and your husband. The author wrote the book as a means of expounding on the passages of the Old Testament, and also as a means of establishing a timeline in the Old Testament scriptures.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

allbooked+ wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:20 I have actually studied theology - so I enjoy reading most interpretations. This author put many stories into layman's terms to make it easier and didn't stray too far from the original intent.
Most of the Old Testament passages have been written in Athurian English or some form of ancient speech. This makes it a little harder for mordern readers to decipher some of the meaning. The book goes long way to convert said language into layman's terms.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

The book did not change my understanding of the Bible since for the longest time I have read it and also tried to study it but I like the author's point of view and the details of the old Testament are on point.
Wanja Kenya
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

This is not the type of book that I would enjoy reading. I don't read books with religious content or beliefs. I will pass on reading this book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 05:43 This is not the type of book that I would enjoy reading. I don't read books with religious content or beliefs. I will pass on reading this book.
I understand that this is a religious educational book that you would not normally consider reading, but thank you for participating in the discussion.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wanja Hannah wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 02:42 The book did not change my understanding of the Bible since for the longest time I have read it and also tried to study it but I like the author's point of view and the details of the old Testament are on point.
I found that the author, in this particular book, achieved being on point with the Old Testament scripture while also finding new themes and retellings to make the Bible more understandable.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am definitely understanding the stories of the Old Testament better through this book. When I read them directly from the Bible I tend to get caught up in trying to figure out some of the words and names and I miss the meaning! The simplicity of the language the author uses in the book is helping me want to read story after story without pause because I don't have to sit and try to figure out who is who and what a certain word really means. Plus, with the stories put into chronological order, it makes everything I've always read in the Old Testament so much clearer.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”