Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by Sunday diamond »

This is one of my best books. Though I've not read it but reviews on it promised it shall give an interesting experience to a reader like me that love bible stories and doctrines analyses. I can't just wait to have this book also reviewed by me.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I like how detailed the author wrote some of the stories in the Old Testament. I think its a great book for people who are looking to understand the Old Testament more.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I am not really a lover of books that have to do with religion or The Bible so this book wasn’t really for me. I thought it was well written though, but not my cup of tea.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

My overall opinion of this book is that it is a very good book on the history of the Old Testament.
What I like most about the book is its arrangement of the history of the Bible in chronological order. What I like least about the book is the use of old English. For example, "Thee" instead of you. This is a modern era. I will very much recommend this book to other people. The reason being that it is a very good historical book of the Bible. It is the Old Testament retold. I can not rate this book less than 4 out of 4 stars. The author did a very good job.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

The book is great! There has never been a book in this world as fascinating as the Bible. The old testament stories are most relevant as they can easily be connected to peoples' everyday lives. The new testament is a bit more philosophical and thus do not attract a lot of attention of most people. A 4 out of 4 stars is my rating for this book.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I think in some respect, this book qualifies as a Bible reference of some sort due to its simple and concise explanations of events in well thought put fashion. I already rated it 4 out of 4 stars
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think it's a good mixup of the traditional beliefs.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

This is a great book that helps one understand the stories of the bible more. Many people find it hard to sit down and open a bible but this book, even though not as great as the Bible, it is a intriguing read. I would recommend it to everyone who loves Bible stories but finds it hard to read them in the Bible. Actually, I am one of them.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I tend to prefer the New Testament over the Old Testament, so I am excited to read this further! The Old Testament has so many gems that apply to our present life, in light of the New Testament. They are often overlooked or sometimes emphasized, without looking at the context of the second half of the Bible. I hope this book explains that a little more.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am skeptical in reading this book because I am sure there will be topics the authors discussed in this book that I might not agree on. I will bypass reading this book. This might be wonderful for Christian readers but not for me.
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

This book is a collection of old testament stories. Author has done an excellent job in retelling the old testament and made it readable for everyone. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are many formatting errors. otherwise the writing style and the stories are really good.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

It's always exciting to see authors revise old titles in ways that bring their content home to new readers. I look forward to reading this author's take on the biblical
Abraham.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:06 While I have just started reading this book, I am looking forward to reading the book in its entirety. The author provides chapters that are easy to read even for those who don't have any previous knowledge regarding the Old Testament. I like that the chapters are quite short and Greenwood uses simple language. This would be a great book for anyone like me, who has had a difficult time understanding text from the Old Testament. I would not recommend this book to those who are rigid in their beliefs of another religion.
I look forward to furthering my knowledge!
Thanks for your thoughts. I will surely read the book :)
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Some would find the Old Testament part of the Bible hard to read. But the way this book is simplified made it easier for readers to understand and appreciate what is instore.

I also like the title of the book which I think is catchy.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

I have not read the Old Testament, but it sounds like this book would help understand it better. I can't wait to read it.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”