Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Purti10
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purti10.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by Purti10 »

I would love to read this book to know more about bible stories.The author has offered a chronological account of all the stories,which makes it more interesting.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I think this was an okay book. I wasn't too opposed to it and the fact that the author made things a little more interesting was a bonus in my mind. Bible stories always have to be told well to be remembered and I liked this one.
julianndipren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianndipren.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by julianndipren »

Although I have not yet finished the book,I appreciate the modern English as well as, the chronological order of the stories. The Bible can sometimes feel like a daunting read and so far, I am finding it engaging and doable.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

I appreciate the idea of making everything in the book interesting and appealing for the readers to understand logically. A good read.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I thoroughly enjoyed I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation. I am religious myself, and have read the Old Testament with my family before, and I found Val D. Greenwood's book to be so much easier to read than the original scriptures. I really like how Greenwood retold the Bible as a story, not just as scripture. As an avid reader, I find the book/story format to be much easier to understand and enjoy. I did not like how some of the principles were a little changed from what I remembered reading earlier in my life. I will definitely recommend this book to others; I already have recommended it to my dad and younger brothers! I think they will enjoy it a lot because we are all the same religion and study the scriptures together.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't read this book yet, but there are so many positive reviews on it that I think I will enjoy reading it. I do like religious based books, as long as they aren't too pushy. This one does sounds like one I'd enjoy.
Mac :techie-reference:
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

i loved the way it dug deep into religion and struggled to update christians on matters religion. the arguments of the author were very valid too
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html

Post by tkpumpkin »

Excellent book; I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. So much research went into it. I have considered doing something like this myself for my own notes--just compiling the Old Testament stories in a synopsis for myself. Val Greenwood did many Christians a huge service! He can be trusted too as he is very transparent in his views and opinions which are in the footnotes.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html

Post by tkpumpkin »

Excellent book; I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. So much research went into it. I have considered doing something like this myself for my own notes--just compiling the stories in a synopsis for myself. Val Greenwood did many Christians a huge service! He can be trusted too as he is very transparent in his views and opinions which are in the footnotes.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

This is a great book because it deals with Bible stories and tries to connect the missing gaps. This kind of book is rare and it's thought provoking.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I have to be completely honest; I'm not overtly religious. In my youth, my Grandmother gave me a Children's bible book and I did take religious studies in high school.

Apart from that, I don't know a great deal about the Old testament. I feel as if this book is a good way of getting people interested in the stories - summarizing them in a gripping way that would appeal to the next generation. Awesome!
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I'm not a religious person so this book wasn't really for me, but I gave it a go as I have always believed in keeping an open mind. I did like the easy to read language of the text. Normally the old testament can be hard to read so this was nice. I would recommend this to my religious friends as I do feel this was well written. I'd rate this 3 out of 4 stars.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

Excellent book, it's a must read for every christian who is looking to understand the bible stories more. The author did a great job by making the book easy to understand, it is well written and edited. i highly recommend this book.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I would imagine that this book would be helpful to someone who wants to understand more Biblical references in culture and literature.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well-written and full of amazing resources. In fact, there was absolutely nothing I disliked about it other than a few spelling and punctuation errors. Otherwise, I felt that this book was excellent.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”