Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

July Free Choice Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hi everyone! So, I flubbed on this month's poll, so gali suggested we do a free choice month. Though we just had one recently, I'm sure there are many books that on our TBR lists, so we could probably afford another free choice month. :D

Here are some questions to guide discussion for the remainder of this month:
  • Share the book's title and a brief synopsis.
  • What genre(s) would you say the book falls under?
  • Did the author portray the genre well?
  • Is this a genre you tend to lean towards?
  • How did you find out about this book?
  • Who would enjoy the novel?
Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy this month's discussion! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished The Girl in Red by Christina Henry, a Little Red Riding Hood re-tale. I searched for post-apocalyptic and this book caught my eye. It follows a girl of mixed-race with a prosthetic leg on her own. She is traveling through the forest in a post-apocalyptic world to reach her grandmother. The genre and the world-building were great, but I felt that some things were over the top and the ending was a bit abrupt. Therefore, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Fans of the genre and the author will enjoy this book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:15 I finished The Girl in Red by Christina Henry, a Little Red Riding Hood re-tale. I searched for post-apocalyptic and this book caught my eye. It follows a girl of mixed-race with a prosthetic leg on her own. She is traveling through the forest in a post-apocalyptic world to reach her grandmother. The genre and the world-building were great, but I felt that some things were over the top and the ending was a bit abrupt. Therefore, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Fans of the genre and the author will enjoy this book.
A Little Red Riding Hood re-tale sounds like a fun read! I actually might up checking this one out since it might be something I could enjoy. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For my free choice, I am currently reading The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst. I've read one of her other books and really liked it, so I decided to give her trilogy a try. So far I'm enjoying the fantasy, but I do find the jumps in time (as years quickly pass by) to be a bit jarring at times. I'll post again once I'm done to see what I thought it fully!
Heidi

elenabell
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elenabell »

Currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I've been meaning to read it for a while now. It's possibly one of the strangest stories I've ever read, but I really like it. His writing is so evocative and the imagery is so powerful. It's interesting also how this particular dystopian world seems to be more relevant to today's society than ever before.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

elenabell wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 00:32 Currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I've been meaning to read it for a while now. It's possibly one of the strangest stories I've ever read, but I really like it. His writing is so evocative and the imagery is so powerful. It's interesting also how this particular dystopian world seems to be more relevant to today's society than ever before.
Nice! I've been meaning to read Fahrenheit 451, as well. I think there's a TV series out there based on the book? Anyway, I'll be curious to hear how you like it when you're done. Maybe it'll motivate me to bump it up on my TBR list.
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:10
elenabell wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 00:32 Currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I've been meaning to read it for a while now. It's possibly one of the strangest stories I've ever read, but I really like it. His writing is so evocative and the imagery is so powerful. It's interesting also how this particular dystopian world seems to be more relevant to today's society than ever before.
Nice! I've been meaning to read Fahrenheit 451, as well. I think there's a TV series out there based on the book? Anyway, I'll be curious to hear how you like it when you're done. Maybe it'll motivate me to bump it up on my TBR list.
I have read it and loved it! I think you will like it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 00:00
hsimone wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:10
I have read it and loved it! I think you will like it.
Oh good! I'll have to bump it on my TBR list, then. :tiphat:
Heidi

Return to “July 2019 Genre Discussion”