Medical and scientific terminology

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Medical and scientific terminology

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 00:23
briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 23:54
Kelyn wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:39 I have a background as an army medic, where I worked for several years in the ER, so most of the medical terminology wasn't' a problem for me. However, I do understand how dragging it makes reading a book when terminology is used that you don't understand (or need to understand actually). Look at almost any Asimov book. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of how the technology works. Uuuggghhh! Using technical language a bit more sparingly would have helped many readers with this book.
Wow, my dream job is to be an army medic at some point. I, too, having enough knowledge about the medical world, didn't find the terminology exhausting. Instead, I find it quite stimulating by reading it. I agree with your frustrations about Asimov hahaha I tried reading it but end up frustrated because it's too much information all at once. :lol2: :doh:
Well, it was certainly an interesting job. Working in the ER there was, to coin a phrase, never a dull moment. It can be stressful, too, though, as you might imagine. The outcomes are not always as positive as one might wish for. // I found Tolkien challenging to read as well with the copious detail that I often found unnecessary to the actual story. His storylines were so compelling though that it didn't stop me reading the way it did with Asimov.
I can believe that. Where were you assigned? That profession is hard for the mental and emotional health of the workers. Not to mention physical too.

Speaking of Tolkien, even I am a fan (as noted on my signature), I find it the same as well. But I enjoy his words or his phrases, I think they were interesting enough even if it wasn't part of the storyline. I read the Fellowship twice before understanding all of it. hahaha. Asimov, on the other hand, is just too literal and too academic that my head spins when I read it. hahaha
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 00:47
I can believe that. Where were you assigned? That profession is hard for the mental and emotional health of the workers. Not to mention physical too.

Speaking of Tolkien, even I am a fan (as noted on my signature), I find it the same as well. But I enjoy his words or his phrases, I think they were interesting enough even if it wasn't part of the storyline. I read the Fellowship twice before understanding all of it. hahaha. Asimov, on the other hand, is just too literal and too academic that my head spins when I read it. hahaha
I was in Hanau, Germany at Pioneer Cassern (Station). I lived off base "on the economy" and had a small apartment with my then-husband right next to the German hospital. Loved every minute of it except that it was still snowing in April! I'm from Louisiana so that was a major culture shock. :lol2: I found it still being bright daylight at 9 PM :shock: during the 'summer' time odd but enjoyable as well. (It never really became summer temps to me. Mid 70's at it's highest.)

As far as Tolkien and Asimov, I found both of them a challenge in different ways but at least Tolkien made it worth the effort. Another book I had to read multiple times was Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. I was still running across details I hadn't caught before on my third read through!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 01:00
briellejee wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 00:47

I was in Hanau, Germany at Pioneer Cassern (Station). I lived off base "on the economy" and had a small apartment with my then-husband right next to the German hospital. Loved every minute of it except that it was still snowing in April! I'm from Louisiana so that was a major culture shock. :lol2: I found it still being bright daylight at 9 PM :shock: during the 'summer' time odd but enjoyable as well. (It never really became summer temps to me. Mid 70's at it's highest.)

As far as Tolkien and Asimov, I found both of them a challenge in different ways but at least Tolkien made it worth the effort. Another book I had to read multiple times was Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. I was still running across details I hadn't caught before on my third read through!
Wow, you were so far away from home. I would be shocked if you didn't get a culture shock :lol2: So do you speak a bit of German or are you fluent?

I have to second that. Tolkien's "unnecessary" details are enjoyable and intriguing than Asimov. hahaha Ooooh I haven't heard of the one before. What genre is it?
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 01:12
Wow, you were so far away from home. I would be shocked if you didn't get a culture shock :lol2: So do you speak a bit of German or are you fluent?

I have to second that. Tolkien's "unnecessary" details are enjoyable and intriguing than Asimov. hahaha Ooooh I haven't heard of the one before. What genre is it?
I speak only a little. I'm definitely not fluent. Fortunately, we were provided with an elementary course in German when we arrived, and many of them speak fluent English. It's actually an easier language to understand that it is to speak, oddly enough. Often I was able to get the gist of what was being said to me but unable to respond in German!! Talk about frustrating! It did raise my desire to learn the language though I've forgotten most of what I learned. That was many years ago.

Stranger in a Strange Land is sci-fi. Heinlein is one of the sterling writers of the genre. I'm surprised you haven't heard of him although if that's not a genre, you read much I suppose it's not that startling. He's much easier to read than Tolkien or Asimov. With him, it's catching all the intricacies of the story that's interesting and challenging.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 01:27
briellejee wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 01:12

I speak only a little. I'm definitely not fluent. Fortunately, we were provided with an elementary course in German when we arrived, and many of them speak fluent English. It's actually an easier language to understand that it is to speak, oddly enough. Often I was able to get the gist of what was being said to me but unable to respond in German!! Talk about frustrating! It did raise my desire to learn the language though I've forgotten most of what I learned. That was many years ago.

Stranger in a Strange Land is sci-fi. Heinlein is one of the sterling writers of the genre. I'm surprised you haven't heard of him although if that's not a genre, you read much I suppose it's not that startling. He's much easier to read than Tolkien or Asimov. With him, it's catching all the intricacies of the story that's interesting and challenging.
Hahaha. I agree that it is a language one cannot simply speak so soon. Too many k's :lol2: At least you were able to understand, I think that's much more important.

I like sci-fi! But I couldn't find too many books that suited me well. I tend to be picky about it because others are too technical that I cannot find myself immersed in their world. I'll check him and his works! Thanks for recommending! :techie-studyingbrown:
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I also found that the language was not accessible to me because I don’t have a background in it. I think that is true of many great books, however, and I enjoyed the book all the same, even if I didn’t understand every little detail the way an expert would!
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I did struggle a bit there was a lot I had to Google to understand!
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Czolly23 wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 07:36 I really enjoyed reading Dr. Douglas’s autobiography and found him to be very inspirational. I struggled, however, with the plethora of medical and scientific terminology. When the intricacies of medications and diagnoses were discussed, I found it difficult to follow, and that it distracted from his main theme.

I agree, all the medical terms made it hard to follow sometimes. Thank heaven for the dictionary app on kindle!

What do you think? Did it add to the book and your understanding? Did you also find it distracting and at times a bit tedious?
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 23:39
Lunastella wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 19:43 I think whenever an author uses specific terminology that most people aren't familiar with, a glossary or footnotes are necessary. Sometimes the terminology is related to a profession, like in this case, or to a different culture or religion, etc. The same happens for instances of words in another language. I understand that they can be necessary and the author doesn't want to interrupt the plot flow with an explanation but footnotes are a great resource for the reader.
I agree, recently, I have read this book with lots of footnotes, which I am thankful for because it really helped during reading, especially because the kindle format highlights it and you have to click it so you don't have to go to the end of the book to check it. I wished the author did this.
The Kindle functions make it so much easier! I love paperbacks but when it comes to consulting terminology, glossaries, etc. it's way easier in Kindle.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Lunastella wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:02
briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 23:39
Lunastella wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 19:43 I think whenever an author uses specific terminology that most people aren't familiar with, a glossary or footnotes are necessary. Sometimes the terminology is related to a profession, like in this case, or to a different culture or religion, etc. The same happens for instances of words in another language. I understand that they can be necessary and the author doesn't want to interrupt the plot flow with an explanation but footnotes are a great resource for the reader.
I agree, recently, I have read this book with lots of footnotes, which I am thankful for because it really helped during reading, especially because the kindle format highlights it and you have to click it so you don't have to go to the end of the book to check it. I wished the author did this.
The Kindle functions make it so much easier! I love paperbacks but when it comes to consulting terminology, glossaries, etc. it's way easier in Kindle.
Same here. Paperbacks are good for the eyes actually, but Kindle makes footnotes easier to access. It doesn't interrupt your reading and everything that you wanted to ask about that certain word or phrase they already have in handy with just one click. Technology huh.
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

It reminds me of a previous Book of the Month, "Adrift", which was full of boating terminology that was unfamiliar to most of the readership, myself included. I think the technical terms can be used without explanation if understanding them is not integral to the storyline, but in the case of "Defining Moments", more explanation probably would have been warranted.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I agree with what other have said. The medical terminology is distracting and daunting for a reader that doesn't have much medical expertise, which can make the story difficult to get through. However, for people who like medicine and like to learn new things, this book fits the bill. I also think the author wanted to show his experience and knowledge and how this helped to define him.
Sandosua
Currently Reading: The Golem and the Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandosua »

I totally agree with you! My dad is a doctor and from conversations with him and from helping him in his private practice office I am familiar with a lot of medical terms and conditions. However, in this case, the terms did distract me quite some and I found myself googling constantly to be able to understand my reading. I feel that the author could have explained or briefly described the most complicated or rare medical terms used so that his readers could more easily follow the story.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Unless the author intended to have his book read mainly by people in the same field, with the knowledge of terminology, it would have been great if he used simple words to explain the terminology.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

lucia_kizas wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 05:35 Unless the author intended to have his book read mainly by people in the same field, with the knowledge of terminology, it would have been great if he used simple words to explain the terminology.
I don't think he intended it to be read by people in the same field, but I do agree that he should have put a glossary or footnotes. Some authors I like tend to explain it along the way without being boring.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”