The author's approach to life?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Czolly23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czolly23.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Re: The author's approach to life?

Post by Czolly23 »

I also agree that it seems to be a combination of both. I feel that he used his experiences to motivate him to create a better future for himself and the future generations of his family. However, he also embraced his heritage and found ways to improve on the culture rather than run from its existence.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Sushan wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 13:48 Always when there is two aspects in practical life, we don't see abrupt distinction, but only the mixtures. In this argument also, that is the same. It is a bit of both
I have to agree. When you're 'in the thick of things' so to speak, it's all but impossible to see things objectively. What ends up making it through is a 'mixture', as you said, of 'reactions' to the events that have happened in our lives. These things imprint themselves on who we become whether we want them to or not. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

Kelyn wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 22:17
Jacquelyn-63 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 10:42 I think it’s a combination. No one can ever completely reject their childhood. The only thing you can do is learn from it so that you want to change things. Those things are what turned you into the person you are today.
That gets into the whole nature vs. nurture discussion. Personally, I agree that our childhoods, for better or worse, do influence who we become. Unfortunately, not every childhood will produce positive attributes, and individuals don't always see the need or have to desire to alter those attributes/attitudes or better themselves. Fortunately, that wasn't the case for the author. His childhood actually instilled the desire and determination to succeed. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Yes I agree that not everyone betters themselves from what they dealt with before. That’s the sad reality. At least the author learned from what happened. He’s a great example of what happens when they choose to change for the better.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I agree with a combination of both. I think maybe he embraced to overcome it, so his family didn't have to.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I feel that the author learned from his childhood so that he wouldn't repeat his childhood, also so that he would have the determination to 'rise through the ranks'.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 10:19 I agree with a combination of both. I think maybe he embraced to overcome it, so his family didn't have to.
That's an interesting way to look at it. Kind of like a 'glass is half full' rather than a 'glass is half empty' perspective, seeing the determination for it not to repeat itself with his kids as 'embracing it to overcome it.' I hadn't looked at it from that direction. I love it when the forums give me things to think about! Thanks for stopping in and sharing that thought with us!
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I also agree that it's a combination. I feel that both routes are intertwined and that they bleed into each other. Rejecting your childhood to ensure you never experience it again can be considered as you learning from your childhood. In a similar way, embracing your childhood to learn from it means acknowledging the fact that there are parts of it you would/should reject in order to have a better future. Does that make sense or is it just me?
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 21:19 I also agree that it's a combination. I feel that both routes are intertwined and that they bleed into each other. Rejecting your childhood to ensure you never experience it again can be considered as you learning from your childhood. In a similar way, embracing your childhood to learn from it means acknowledging the fact that there are parts of it you would/should reject in order to have a better future. Does that make sense or is it just me?
It does, in a roundabout sort of way. I've always considered that I have embraced parts of my childhood/upbringing in that I continue to uphold those teachings/events/traditions in my life and with my own family. I don't think I've actually 'rejected' my childhood as much as I have chosen not to continue or include aspects of it and teachings from it in my life after being on my own or with my husband and children. Does that make sense? Thanks for making me think!
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

I think I agree with both, especially the accepthing part. I do think you can never truly be satisfied with what you will become if you don't embrace what you had been. Acceptance is the one of the key, an important one.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

I feel like, even though he rejected his childhood in a sense, he used what he learned growing up to provide for his family. What he experienced in childhood seemed like motivation for him to distance himself from it and to lead a different life.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kristine29 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 02:59 I think I agree with both, especially the accepthing part. I do think you can never truly be satisfied with what you will become if you don't embrace what you had been. Acceptance is the one of the key, an important one.
That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't really thought of it in quite that way. I agree with what you said about acceptance but with a slight caveat. The acceptance has to be channeled in a positive way not function as acceptance through resignation to the situation. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 08:17 I agree that it's a combination of both. After all, had he nod embraced his childhood, he wouldn't have learnt from it, but at the same time he recognised that he need to do better for himself and his family.
This is so true. He learnt from his childhood, moved past it, learnt from it and used it as a ladder to become someone better in life.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Kelyn wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 14:28
kristine29 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 02:59 I think I agree with both, especially the accepthing part. I do think you can never truly be satisfied with what you will become if you don't embrace what you had been. Acceptance is the one of the key, an important one.
That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't really thought of it in quite that way. I agree with what you said about acceptance but with a slight caveat. The acceptance has to be channeled in a positive way not function as acceptance through resignation to the situation. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us!
Channeled in a positive way, yeah I think your right. I'm still in the process of the accepting part I guess, so I'm definitely gonna keep this in mind. Thanks a lot and no problem :wink:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I also think it's a combination of both. The author managed to make his childhood experiences a lesson and then proceed to make sure his children wouldn't go through with it ever again.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Jacquelyn-63 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 10:42 I think it’s a combination. No one can ever completely reject their childhood. The only thing you can do is learn from it so that you want to change things. Those things are what turned you into the person you are today.
Agreed. As old Rafiki said, "The past can hurt, but you can either run from it or learn from it." :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”