How suicide is handled in this book

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
deaanbeaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deaanbeaan.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

How suicide is handled in this book

Post by deaanbeaan »

Do you agree with how the topic of suicide was handled in this book? Personally, I thought it was fantastic and is a great example of dark humour done right. What do you think?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I don't think it was dark humor, and it didn't come off as one for me. I think it was handled properly, as it wasn't triggering to readers. But to see it as dark humor is something I don't think the book intends. It is natural for a child to think that way. Some adults do think that way as well when they attempt suicide. The author describes that he was more afraid of the waves and how he'd die if he pushes through the attempt, this makes me believe that maybe his attempt wasn't that deep enough into depression to actually take his life. I was about to open a topic about this part.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I like it when serious matters are handled in such a way that readers do not find it depressing. I liked the way this topic was handled by the author.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I agree. I think it was handled in a tasteful way that and I did find the author used some humor.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I didn't really see it as "dark humor" but thought that Douglas really captured that feelings of your life being over at such a young age. When faced the unfair accusations over the spilling of the food, I could definitely relate to the childlike assurance that the only logical step would be suicide... and the strength and resolves he gains when he decides he has another option and that he will have a better life.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I didn't read it as humorous. I think that when one is contemplating such serious matters, sometimes the most unexpected things come into our minds, even simple things as being more afraid of waves than of killing oneself. But that's just me lol.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Giving something to the audience with a bit of humour will register it in the minds more firmly. I think that the writer's intent might have been that
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Czolly23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czolly23.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by Czolly23 »

I think he had a very good handle of how to deal with serious topics. He didn’t overwhelm the reader, but made sure his opinions were known and that we understood the importance of each situation, like the suicide.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I think that handling a serious issue like this in a light manner is something different. I liked the idea of writer describing it with humor.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think the serious matter was actually handled with dignity and class. However, I think it wasn't actually meant to be seen as humour, but rather as how the character was feeling in the moment. Within depression there is sometimes dark thoughts that come across as humour but are actually completely meaningful.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Suicide isn't humorous and the author knows this, so I think he handled it seriously because it is a serious topic. It shouldn't be made amusing.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Suicide is a sensitive topic and in my personal opinion, should be handled cautiously and seriously in every way.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Rather than dark humor, in my opinion, it's just more realistic. After all, the impact of death is heavier on those left behind rather than those who died. It's not really an easy concept to understand. No one sees it coming, especially in cases of suicide, and for young people, it's all the more confusing.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Dark humour can be tricky. Especially because there's always a chance that someone might get offended. To even be brave enough to try such a thing is truly commendable. Besides, there's still a lot of stigma around suicide. I think we should acknowledge the author for even trying to address such a issue.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 16:38 I didn't really see it as "dark humor" but thought that Douglas really captured that feelings of your life being over at such a young age. When faced the unfair accusations over the spilling of the food, I could definitely relate to the childlike assurance that the only logical step would be suicide... and the strength and resolves he gains when he decides he has another option and that he will have a better life.
Same thoughts here. I don't think it was meant to be "humorous" or even satire. I think using the term "dark humor" is not appropriate, and just a lack for a better term.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”