The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: The Value of Education

Post by briellejee »

cdhundley wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 12:54 I only read the sample, but the component of education that made at least what I read compelling, was not just having education for its own sake, but the search for knowledge. The author's incessant questioning of his environment and inherent nature illustrated his own strong intellectual curiosity - the foundation of scientific and philosophical/spiritual inquiry. It seems like the book details a lifelong pursuit for knowledge, which is as it should be.
I like this answer the most! I agree with everything you said. It's easy to make good grades, but to be able to have it consistent even after college, to be the best in what you do, is to search for more. A's aren't the goals, and that his thirst for more knowledge, always learning, is what makes the author successful and inspiring. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Wriley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:11 The author's achievements in education seems to be his natural ability not exactly from hard work. Science majors especially may have an above average ability to memorize. Frank may have wanted to be seen for who he was and not his acedemic achievements. With natural ability, acedemic are easy compared to some people who must work very hard for their education. So much emphasis was placed on education that Frank may have been seen as only that not who he really was. Frank had passion to help which set him apart from other doctors.
I agree with this as well. Hard work is only a portion of his achievements. As you've mentioned, his passion sets him apart and enables him to go through hard work. I have known people who have worked hard in their studies, harder than anyone else, and still, get the lowest scores. To be able to achieve these things like the author, passion coupled with hard work and empathy is what one needed.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I was impressed with the author's passion for learning. The story of how he read the same book over and over again while sitting on the steps with his sister was touching. I just finished reading Where the Crawdads Sing, and the young girl, although fictional, showed the same thirst for knowledge.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

No, I do not think that the author did so because of pride. It was just his strength and his point of excellence, I rather see it as encouragement to do better at school.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :x
oluchiokere84 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 16:50 No, I do not think that the author did so because of pride. It was just his strength and his point of excellence, I rather see it as encouragement to do better at school.
I also like this angle. It's like he shows his academic success as an example of what can be achieved if you work hard, made all the more so by the fact that he came from an underprivileged background.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I don’t think the author wanted to set himself apart. I think that he wanted to show that there is value in education and that he was proud of his own accomplishments. Showing that he could do it despite difficulties should help to inspire others dealing with similar issues today.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Even in the sample, you can see how much the author values education. I have to agree that access to education opens many doors, knowledge is power.
Czolly23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czolly23.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by Czolly23 »

There was a definite focus on education. I feel he viewed it as a relief from his situation, and as a way to feel solace during a trying time. I’m not sure he was necessarily trying to set himself apart, but I think he used education to better himself and his life.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Well! Education is key. Education is fundamental. In fact, it should be part of the fundamental human rights.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

The focus here is education and its importance to community. I don't think the author wanted to set himself apart but his education did that. With achievement like this you are naturally set apart even if it was not your intention. It's how society views the educated.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think he was driven to be the best. Academic settings are an easy example compared to other areas where things don't necessarily fall under your control.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

Yes, it's true. Although I also read just a sample, the man emphasizes education and knowledge as something highly necessary and valuable, with which I agree. For example, I grew up in time where while I was in elementary school, the country was teeming with political tension, assassinations etc., and to this day I'm still finding out new things about all of that.
'A Hunter and a Doe,
A path with a secret covered,
Like ice, like ember,
They'll never be a pair.'- A Hunter and a Doe by Plavi Orkestar
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that there was a focus on education and how important it is in life.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I agree that there was an emphasis on the way that education allowed for more opportunity in his life. Not only did it open more doors for him, but it also stopped him from falling into the same mistakes that his peers did.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Education is meant to broaden your thinking and widen your scope of perspectives on different matters. Helps you come up with solutions to problems. But too bad some people reason like they never stepped the inside of a classroom.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”