The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: The Value of Education

Post by Samy Lax »

I have just completed reading a couple of chapters of this book so far but can already confidently say that the author does value education.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think that when so many children drop out of education, it’s important to stress the good it can do. It’s a bit difficult to do though without being accused of blowing one’s own trumpet.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I think the author uses education to set himself apart, because excellence in education is a distinguishing factor.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think education is definitely one of the main focus in this book. Given his position, I can understand why he see education as the only way to achieve anything in live.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

TuyetMai wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 03:09 I think education is definitely one of the main focus in this book. Given his position, I can understand why he see education as the only way to achieve anything in live.
That's exactly how I saw it too. It was one of the most beneficial tools that he could use in order to overcome his condition.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I am a testimony of the transforming power of education. I think the author's over-emphasis on education is meant to encourage others to pursue and excel at it. I doubt he thinks himself special based on his academic achievements.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 16:53 I could see how the author thinks it's important, and wants to discuss his background. Education isn't just important for people to gain information, but it also builds character and introduces you to different cultures, so you have a better understanding of other people...you can better relate to them..or at least understand them.
I think education has the potential to introduce people to different cultures and different ideas, but I think the individual has to be receptive to this. There are plenty of examples of people who receive a decent education but who still have closed minds.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 06:40
Kansas City Teacher wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 16:53 I could see how the author thinks it's important, and wants to discuss his background. Education isn't just important for people to gain information, but it also builds character and introduces you to different cultures, so you have a better understanding of other people...you can better relate to them..or at least understand them.
I think education has the potential to introduce people to different cultures and different ideas, but I think the individual has to be receptive to this. There are plenty of examples of people who receive a decent education but who still have closed minds.
I SO agree with this! Receiving education means learning, and learning means accepting you still have a lot to learn and that your ideas are not always right. That's why I admire schools and universities that help their students to be critical, not only to others but also to themselves on a certain topic or argument. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Sharon2056 wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 01:19 I think the author uses education to set himself apart, because excellence in education is a distinguishing factor.
I'm not sure that was his intent, to set himself apart. The author used education to uplift himself from the life he had known. I do agree that excellence in education is a distinguishing factor, especially in today's society. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 01:05 I think that when so many children drop out of education, it’s important to stress the good it can do. It’s a bit difficult to do though without being accused of blowing one’s own trumpet.
I agree. Education is a must, especially in this ever-changing society of ours, and I think the number of children dropping out could be explained by different factors, like poverty (wanting to earn already) and universities and schools making it like a competitive war zone. And yes, I agree as well that someone can come off as boastful to state the importance of education, especially when that person comes with privileges. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

shravsi wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:23 I felt the book showed that there is no boundary to education. Anyone can reach heights with sheer hard work. And the respect of other people follows suit. :tiphat:
I don't think hard work is enough. I have seen people work as hard or even twice but still cannot achieve "heights". Privileges play a big part in someone's life.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

I totally agree with this! When I started at my university, I was purposely ignorant to some things because I thought it doesn't affect me. But as I grew with the university, it taught me a lot. It dragged me out of my comfort zone and safe bubble that it changed my character along the way, for the good (as far as I and some people I acquainted can see). So yes, education isn't just numbers and essays, it is also about growth. Thanks for this perspective! :tiphat:
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Education is extremely valuable, we all agree. However, I think we also need to agree that it is not only formal education that is good but also informal real-life education.
MA
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Having people around who looked down on him, I think he sees education as a power tool to lift his circumstances and he wants us to realize it too so we will not be defenseless in this cruel world
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Melchi Asuma wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 01:00 Education is extremely valuable, we all agree. However, I think we also need to agree that it is not only formal education that is good but also informal real-life education.
Agreed. Education could get you so far, but lessons about life could help you wherever you go. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”