Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

elizaron878 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 09:32 There is a part where he changed his mind about dying because he didn't want to end up with lungfuls of dirty water.I found that a bit funny,and the good thing is,because of that he is alive today.
His logic into such a situation as suicide made hime reconsider the act altogather. It was humorous reading his thought process as it occurred, but from an observatory standpoint, it showed his resilience and how it conquered the feeling of despair.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 11:09
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:23
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 12:48

The brain is indeed a strange thing! It wouldn't have occurred to me to make such a humorous, albeit valid, comparison between crabs and ants.
True, I would have never been able to make any comparison let alone the valid one the author conjured up.
It's kind of funny because a former employer goes on to note how unique his thinking is in his field.
Even his thought process has a unique way of building his personality and how others see him.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

My take on Frank is that even at a young age his mind was going a million miles a minute. When he used logic to talk himself out of suicide, that's what his mind was doing. Seeing humor in the mundane or depressing is a way to laugh if even only on the inside. I do that and recognized that in Frank. Most people don't get my humor and Frank has the same qualities.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wriley wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 09:02 My take on Frank is that even at a young age his mind was going a million miles a minute. When he used logic to talk himself out of suicide, that's what his mind was doing. Seeing humor in the mundane or depressing is a way to laugh if even only on the inside. I do that and recognized that in Frank. Most people don't get my humor and Frank has the same qualities.
At a young age, he was way more intelligent and intuitive than most. I think the humor concerned with him talking himself out of suicide was his resilient mind finding a way to survive.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wriley wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 09:02 My take on Frank is that even at a young age his mind was going a million miles a minute. When he used logic to talk himself out of suicide, that's what his mind was doing. Seeing humor in the mundane or depressing is a way to laugh if even only on the inside. I do that and recognized that in Frank. Most people don't get my humor and Frank has the same qualities.
It was quite interesting to see how he went about the entire issue. Having an unmovable resolve for suicide at the beginning, and slowly chipping away at that resolve with logical explanations. I found it quite a humorous part in the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 09:51
At a young age, he was way more intelligent and intuitive than most. I think the humor concerned with him talking himself out of suicide was his resilient mind finding a way to survive.
He was able to remember some vague information he had learnt about drowning, how close to the shore he should attempt it, and how the entire process would take place...and all this while trying to follow through on his resolve to drown himself, terribly humorous.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 10:44
It was quite interesting to see how he went about the entire issue. Having an unmovable resolve for suicide at the beginning, and slowly chipping away at that resolve with logical explanations. I found it quite a humorous part in the book.
And just like his encounter with the crabs, his witty logic comes off as not only unique but also humorous.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I think he was young genius. The way he looked at that drowning incident and somehow found a way to break his resolve. He also found a way to get a roof over his head after the entire incident,...too bad it came with the revelation of who was his father.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I liked most the suicide episode. Frank's rationalisation for dying is hillarious and the path he took in revising the same is funny all the same. I am impressed by the way hummor seems to take greater effect in the face of tragedy.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
deaanbeaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deaanbeaan.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by deaanbeaan »

As dark as it was, I did find it super funny how things kept getting in the way of his suicide. I think it's a very good way to joke about something so serious without making suicide/the fact that he was suicidal the joke. It was dark humour done completely the right way.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

chiefsimplex wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 00:29 I liked most the suicide episode. Frank's rationalisation for dying is hillarious and the path he took in revising the same is funny all the same. I am impressed by the way hummor seems to take greater effect in the face of tragedy.
That was a key point in his life when what could have been a suicide turned to him seeking a better path, a better solution to his current problems. It was funny though how his resolve quickly turned when faced with the moment.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

deaanbeaan wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 12:35 As dark as it was, I did find it super funny how things kept getting in the way of his suicide. I think it's a very good way to joke about something so serious without making suicide/the fact that he was suicidal the joke. It was dark humour done completely the right way.
He did keep getting on the way of his well planned suicide and it made all the humorous, dark it may be, but one of the best examples of dark or morbid humour that I have encountered in a while.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

deaanbeaan wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 12:35 As dark as it was, I did find it super funny how things kept getting in the way of his suicide. I think it's a very good way to joke about something so serious without making suicide/the fact that he was suicidal the joke. It was dark humour done completely the right way.
An interesting way to present a morbid part of the author's childhood. I found it more interesting how his solution to his aunt mounting false accusations on him was simply to threaten her. It was a simple solution that would have been well served before his suicidal thoughts.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

elizaron878 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 09:32 There is a part where he changed his mind about dying because he didn't want to end up with lungfuls of dirty water.I found that a bit funny,and the good thing is,because of that he is alive today.
That entire scene of getting beaten by his mother beyond his comprehension, despair overtaking him, and him deciding to commit suicide seemed amazingly reasonable to me. The way he reasoned what would happen to him after drowning, what the act of drowning entailed, and then resolve to find a better solution to his problem was completely humorous and part of the author's personality.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:22 Apart from feeling so terrible for him when he was thinking about committing suicide, I had to laugh when things kept getting in his way.
I also laughed at the comment about the crabs being inferior to ants.
I think he kept creating things that got in his way. He should not have been thinking as to whether he would get to the sea after his death. The mud was a somewhat viable reason. In the market, his observation about ants not having that particular same problem was funny. It showed how the author had a keen mind that came off as humorous more often than not.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”