Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by briellejee »

cassibear13 wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 19:37 I think his ability to keep trying even though things were against him is something that inspired me. It shows that you can accomplish your goals if you put your heart and soul into it.
Even with all the negativities, he did manage to keep trying until he reached those goals. I guess he was pretty determined to have it, no matter what. I found that truly inspiring as well. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 13:31 Tenacity and ambition are very admirable traits, both of which the author has. The fact that he was faced with racism and still aimed to be (and eventually become) a doctor is truly inspiring. Opportunities weren't as easy for him to find compared to his peers, but he was still able to accomplish so much.
I agree about the opportunities. He wasn't privileged as his peers but he still persevered. The door was closed but he opened a window. I agree that that's downright inspiring. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kristine29 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 03:12 His resilience , I truly admired him for his resilience. It is also one of the major trait of a successful person, atleast for me
I agree. Being resilient through odds is something impressive. And the author showed that as well. It resonates well in his story other than other successful people because what he's been through takes a lot of resilience to be able to overcome them. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:09 Definitely I am inspired by his brilliance (in studies), and his attitude towards problem coming to him.
His intelligence coupled with his attitude made everything possible for him. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

supernatural143 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 23:48 I admire the author's focus on his goal despite the poverty, hardships, racial discrimination, and prejudice. He was not discouraged to move on. He is a perfect example for youngsters to follow.
Youngsters and most adults tend to want life to give them at an instant. The author's story actually inspires and motivates people that hard work could go a long way. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 10:06
DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 13:31 Tenacity and ambition are very admirable traits, both of which the author has. The fact that he was faced with racism and still aimed to be (and eventually become) a doctor is truly inspiring. Opportunities weren't as easy for him to find compared to his peers, but he was still able to accomplish so much.
What I find inspiring in his career choice was the many careers he could have selected based on money and wealth, but he decided to become a doctor just to be able to help people. That is the very definition of Inspiring. :tiphat:
I really admired him for that. He could have become a billionaire if he wanted to, but his goal is to really help people, and being a doctor was one way for him. Truly an inspiration.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Czolly23 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 07:56 I found his experience quitting MIT to be the most inspiring. To have the courage to quit as a statement that you don’t condone what the school has done to others left me in awe.
That was something brave and speaks about him as a person. He's pretty firm in what he believes in and even if it can cost him quitting MIT, he still did it. He has principles he is willing to fight for and that is truly inspirational. :techie-studyingbrown:
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

It's inspiring anytime you see someone make lofty goals, overcome struggles, persevere, and succeed. It really goes to show you that anything is possible if you have the willpower and drive to keep moving in that direction.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:06 It's inspiring anytime you see someone make lofty goals, overcome struggles, persevere, and succeed. It really goes to show you that anything is possible if you have the willpower and drive to keep moving in that direction.
It is inspiring to just note all the difficulties that were placed in the author's way and how he overcame them either by charging through them or exhibiting an amazing level of patience.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I always find it difficult to stay motivated if I don't get the expected outcomes for what I have done, either as the fulfillment of goals or as self-improvement. I find that the author on the other hand just continues doing what he thinks is right and just, even when he is not rewarded or is ignored. I think that is an admirable quality and one which I want to cultivate.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

srividyag1 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:50 I always find it difficult to stay motivated if I don't get the expected outcomes for what I have done, either as the fulfillment of goals or as self-improvement. I find that the author on the other hand just continues doing what he thinks is right and just, even when he is not rewarded or is ignored. I think that is an admirable quality and one which I want to cultivate.
That would definitely be a skill I would want to cultivate, the determined persuit of one's goals despite the reaction of others.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

I feel like the way he handled discrimination was quite inspiring. His peaceful approach to dealing with racially charged racism was both brave and inspiring. He definitely took the high road.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:50 I always find it difficult to stay motivated if I don't get the expected outcomes for what I have done, either as the fulfillment of goals or as self-improvement. I find that the author on the other hand just continues doing what he thinks is right and just, even when he is not rewarded or is ignored. I think that is an admirable quality and one which I want to cultivate.
I agree that this was a very inspiring part of his character (which I also should try to cultivate). I feel like his persistence showed how much he wanted to succeed and how determined he was as a person.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

The author’s life story was definitely inspiring to me. There are very few people that would work as hard as he did in his life situation to become more and actually achieve lasting success. I think his life story is one of the greatest things about the book.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nathan Berner wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 12:09
I agree that this was a very inspiring part of his character (which I also should try to cultivate). I feel like his persistence showed how much he wanted to succeed and how determined he was as a person.
It was also inspiring noting how these traits-persistence and determination-were nutured from childhood experiences.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”