Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Post by THarveyReadALot »

This story might be a reminder of the apparent racism against blacks still evident in this country. Why do white policemen keep targeting blacks? Maybe blacks need more help surviving in a country that suspects them too fast in any crime?
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This was such an inspiring story to read, and the author's struggles we're also easy to relate to. 4 out of 4 seems like a fair rating in my opinion.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Overall, I rate Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas 4 out of 4 stars because the book is so inspiring and I loved the author's spirit of endurance. A handful of us can stand and racial discrimination.
Books are beautiful.
taylorferraro
Favorite Book: Artemis
Currently Reading: Helter Skelter
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by taylorferraro »

I'm always excited to see when authors try to tackle modern-day issues, especially racial and ethnic discrimination, and judging by the reviews, that's exactly what this book does. I wonder if it tackles issues from all cultures and ethnics or specifically to the one the main character has. I'm excited to see how the other characters in the book act and behave according to the plot line described.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Racism is an issue which needs to be addressed all over the world. The writer spoke on behalf of many who face hostility in school and at work just because of their origin.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I really enjoyed getting to know Dr. Douglas as he told his story. I would recommend this story because he is a neat guy to know. However, his passion about his career, while being a great character quality in life, leads to some slow moments in the narrative. These areas could be overly technical, but I liked Dr. Douglas enough to struggle passed them. In the end, I am great full to experience some of his wisdom.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I wonder how many stories of African-Americans there are. I wanted to write my own story, but don't know how to research for it, and since it would include the subject of slavery, that makes it even more challenging.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Just from reading the sample I can see that this is going to be an inspiring book that deals with real issues many people have been facing for a long time. I'll definitely be reading the rest of it.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I haven’t read it but I’ve heard many great things about this book. I’m definitely picking it up the next time I go to a book shop.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

As a current university student - studying biology - I decided to give this a read. Incredibly inspiration and insightful to the world previous students had to endure, I will definitely be recommending this to the friends on my course.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

A very motivating and enjoyable book, a combination I rarely have luck with. Glad to have come across a book like this and would definitely recommend it to people who are struggling with issues of racism. I think the author's way of handling the issue was fairly adequate.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I've been so into books on racial discrimination lately. It's very educational and also very inspiring how characters stand up to injustice. I'm definitely going to read this.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

It can be very taxing for a student experiencing racial discrimination in an educational institution. What I liked most is that the author's way of storytelling is entertaining. Being an African myself I would love to see the inspiration drawn from it.
Izzati Hadzara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Izzati Hadzara »

This book definitely inspired me a lot as a human. And because of that, i would definitely recommend it to everyone who are also facing similar issues and discrimination in their life because of the skin color, races, religion or whatever different that they may have. Please remember that you are not deserved to be treated unfairly. We are the same, no black, no white, no tall, no short, no pretty, no ugly. WE ARE HUMAN.
jamibozz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamibozz.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jamibozz »

I loved that this memoir was able to transport me into feeling what the author went through as being an immigrant struggling with overcoming the racial divide in this country while still keeping it entertaining. I also loved that the author was able to overcome all of the adversity, defying what people assume can only be achievable by certain people. I would definitely recommend this to anyone dealing with discrimination and someone who may need to see what it’s like on the receiving end of it.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”