Use of Information and Sources

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Icon Use of Information and Sources

Post by Chelsey Coles »

After reading the book I couldn't help but to poke around the bibliography. I did not expect to find articles on the drone landing, Plan B, and the abortion pill. Did you find the articles useful? Why do you think the author chose to use these articles specifically? What articles would you use, if any?
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I haven't finished the novel, and I don't think it's essential to include these resources in a novel whose purpose is entertainment, but it's a very valuable asset. I talked a bit with the author and she mentioned how important women's health issues were for her, so I'm sure that's why she took the time to include such resources. They could be helpful...We don't know what each person whos reading the book is going through. Or maybe some people just want to learn more.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

They could possibly be helpful if you take the time to read them. I didn't think so but that was because it was mostly stuff I already knew.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Honestly, I didn't bother to even look much at these articles. I wouldn't use any of them. I found them to be a bit odd, but they could be helpful to a reader that might have been triggered by something, going through something similar, or just interested. I think the drone article in particular might be great for someone who was interested in that subject. Perhaps the author put them there to show that she had done her research or because she wanted to inform the reader. Either way, they could be useful for the right person.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I haven't finished the book, but I encourage writers to show their sources when able. While I don't think a bibliography is always necessary, at least a note in their acknowledgments of their resources is great. I don't think it's required for a fiction book, especially something like a romance/thriller which tend to bend believability in the first place for entertainment purposes, but it's a great way to connect with certain members of your audience. People who are interested in the same subject you're writing about can educate themselves on the issues. Again, I don't think it's a requirement or anything, but it's definitely a cool bit of bonus material.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:39 I haven't finished the novel, and I don't think it's essential to include these resources in a novel whose purpose is entertainment, but it's a very valuable asset. I talked a bit with the author and she mentioned how important women's health issues were for her, so I'm sure that's why she took the time to include such resources. They could be helpful...We don't know what each person whos reading the book is going through. Or maybe some people just want to learn more.
You bring up a good point, I hadn't quite thought of it that way. Love that you had a convo with the author and got it straight from the source. Different people go through different things, and maybe a young lady out there was just as clueless as Cynthia, & needed the article(s) more than anything...
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Nisha Ward wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 18:17 They could possibly be helpful if you take the time to read them. I didn't think so but that was because it was mostly stuff I already knew.
Yes, that is why I created this thread. I read all of the articles and they are very informative. However I personally already know plenty about the subjects of the articles, but wanted to know who might find them more helpful than me.
erinrb13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinrb13.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by erinrb13 »

I liked the use of sources, but I wish the author would have included more sources for the information used for the cyber war/ technology side of the book, because I found this to sound not credible at times. But I think including the sources is a great idea and is a great way for readers to trust an author's writing
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I don't know about the drone landing information, but my guess is that since she provided medical information when discussing Plan B and RU486 in the book, she was trying to be responsible and provide the real medical information to anyone who might need it.

I wish she had shown the same conscientiousness in researching and sourcing other parts of the book.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

To be honest I was so annoyed with this book that I just didn't want to read anything more beyond the story. I agree that can be helpful to someone who doesn't know anything about those subjects.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

For Pete's sake, this is a novel. I even think the sources were distracting as you have to take momentary break to check out the sources. I didn't think it was necessary.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think if the author wanted to list sources they could have given a link for those interested instead of tons of sources at the end of the book.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The sources seems distracting to some while some may need that information. I could be glad if some more sources on cyber crime and cyber war were shared. Sometimes giving sources in wrong context could be annoying.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I enjoy when novels add sources since I am a bit of a researcher. I have several books that I enjoyed and wanted to know more about (whether it's the subject matter or just me wanting to get inside the head of the author), and I can always find some additional insight by looking through the sources.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I hadn't stumbled onto these articles until you pointed them out to us. I didn't actually find any of them relevant to my reading. Someone who is really interested to learn more about these topics could benefit from them, I am sure.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”