Romance vs. Politics

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Icon Romance vs. Politics

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Hello all! Did you find yourself drawn more to the cyber war or the love triangle?

I believe there is an even mix of politics and suspense as well as love and relationships.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 20:06 Hello all! Did you find yourself drawn more to the cyber war or the love triangle?

I believe there is an even mix of politics and suspense as well as love and relationships.
For me by the time the cyber war part came about I was already not really caring about the book. But I do find that part more likable as romance is off for me in this one. I wish that romance went in a more suspense action way.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I was very much for the cyber warfare. This is a new kind of warfare that is gaining ground in the world, due to advances in information technology. It looks passive from the outside but it can have much more devastating and disruptive power than conventional warfare.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'll admit I was more for the cyber war. I thought people's reactions in the love triangle were strange and I couldn't get into it. I really enjoyed when Glenn, Tim, and Garth get Major Skyler away from his men and watch the test drones on the White House lawn
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I preferred the cyber war by the end of the book. I was disappointed by the romance since it turned out to be a one-night-stand that sort of up-ended the whole plot somewhat. It didn't go where I had hoped it would. I was hoping for something a little more spy/action with some romance. I did like the nerd squad though!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

56lives wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 04:18 I was very much for the cyber warfare. This is a new kind of warfare that is gaining ground in the world, due to advances in information technology. It looks passive from the outside but it can have much more devastating and disruptive power than conventional warfare.
You are correct. I found it so fascinating that they could wage a war without being near the enemy. At times the romance made me forget how important their mission was. Perhaps if it was a separate story there would be more room to expand on the importance of this contemporary type of warfare.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Helene_2008 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 20:06 I'll admit I was more for the cyber war. I thought people's reactions in the love triangle were strange and I couldn't get into it. I really enjoyed when Glenn, Tim, and Garth get Major Skyler away from his men and watch the test drones on the White House lawn
That part was quite entertaining! Felt like a movie. :)
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

When I was younger, I was always drawn to the romance within novels. However, as an adult, it's more difficult for me to relate to most romantic relationships in books, and this was no exception. The cyber warfare was definitely what kept me engaged in this story.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Helene_2008 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 20:06 I'll admit I was more for the cyber war. I thought people's reactions in the love triangle were strange and I couldn't get into it. I really enjoyed when Glenn, Tim, and Garth get Major Skyler away from his men and watch the test drones on the White House lawn
That was my favorite scene as well. Garth and Tim were the most believable characters in the book, IMHO
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I was drawn more on the cyber war. I couldn't care less for the love triangle since I never liked the characters enough, except for Glenn.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I was more interested in the cyber part and the political parts of the book. I thought that the introduction of the romance was a little weird and it didn't seem to flow with the book. I am always interested in how accurate science fiction based books are when comparing them against current society. Most of the characters were lacking in their development except for a few that stood out.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

As much as the cyberwarfare aspect irks me, I like it way more than the romance so far. The cheating aspect left a terrible impression on me and then I just could not get into it after that.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

56lives wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 04:18 I was very much for the cyber warfare. This is a new kind of warfare that is gaining ground in the world, due to advances in information technology. It looks passive from the outside but it can have much more devastating and disruptive power than conventional warfare.
Cyber warfare is more interesting to me than romance. This is something new. Something that did not occur in previous times. Romance is always just romance.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:27 As much as the cyberwarfare aspect irks me, I like it way more than the romance so far. The cheating aspect left a terrible impression on me and then I just could not get into it after that.
Same. It was way better than the romantic aspect. The cheating was like the most part that was given attention more than the occuring cyberwar.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 22:54
Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:27 As much as the cyberwarfare aspect irks me, I like it way more than the romance so far. The cheating aspect left a terrible impression on me and then I just could not get into it after that.
Same. It was way better than the romantic aspect. The cheating was like the most part that was given attention more than the occuring cyberwar.
Yeah. It felt like a subplot rather than the main part of the novel, so much so that I have to wonder how much research was actually done in comparison to the pregnancy aspect?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”