What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

s_writing wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 18:20 I thought Dan's character was creepy. He was always popping up. He turned out to be a stalker
Kind of the same as Sky. I feel like overall characters in this book felt lacking.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think he was more obsessed with Cynthia rather than cared about her.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 16:16 I think he was more obsessed with Cynthia rather than cared about her.
But I don't get their infatuation with her she seems like a quite dull and immature person.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:06 At first I saw Dan as this strong, independent guy who teetered on the verge of being more like a father figure to Cynthia than a lover, now he's this sappy, lonely, desperate guy who can't get a girl. His character is flawed in so many ways to me. I immediately couldn't stand him when he yelled at Cynthia for missing their date, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it was the tone I could imagine. He acted like her father, not a concerned lover. Anyone else have an opinion on the guy?
At first I wasn't sure because Glenn in the first chapter didn't speak favorably of Dan when Cynthia brought him up in the conversation. Cynthia, on the other hand, wasn't overly positive or negative about Dan. He was just there and got the impression it was a platonic relationship. So, I guess I didn't see him as a father figure. I was surprised that Dan was so jealous and was willing ruin his reputation and possibly his career in sabotaging Cynthia's and Sky's relationship. Retrospectively, the signs were there that Dan was not good. I agree that the title of the book shouldn't have included Dan given the ending. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

At first, I thought he was a real gentleman and a fatherly figure to Cynthia, then came the real him! I didn't like the real him at all
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:06 At first I saw Dan as this strong, independent guy who teetered on the verge of being more like a father figure to Cynthia than a lover, now he's this sappy, lonely, desperate guy who can't get a girl. His character is flawed in so many ways to me. I immediately couldn't stand him when he yelled at Cynthia for missing their date, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it was the tone I could imagine. He acted like her father, not a concerned lover. Anyone else have an opinion on the guy?
I couldn't stand Dan. Getting mad at someone for missing a date? Given what was happening near the White House he should have been more concerned than angered. Then he acted like a lovesick puppy. Then again I didn't really like Sky either.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I didn't like Dan's character at all and I especially didn't like how he yelled at Cynthia over not keeping their date. I don't know why his name was part of the title because I don't feel like he was a significant character.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I didn't care for Dan. He came across as pathetic and needy. He needed to just let Cynthia go when she ended things with him. She deserved better. I'm glad she didn't settle for him.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I didn't care for Dan. He came across as pathetic and needy. He needed to just let Cynthia go when she ended things with him. She deserved better. I'm glad she didn't settle for him.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

DC Brown wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:30
His character was like an afterthought. If you have been able to finish the book, it seems that the author needed to tie loose ends up toward the end and used this character to do it. He was concerned for Cynthia when she was sick, but then he turned out to be a class A jerk. I didn't think his character was used enough in the book to be part of the title. He didn't seem the second most important character to me.
Yes, I agree that he didn't seem like an important enough character to be included in the title. Upon first reading it, I thought he would be at least equal to Cynthia in things like character development but he seemed more like an afterthought than anything else.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:06 I immediately couldn't stand him when he yelled at Cynthia for missing their date, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it was the tone I could imagine. He acted like her father, not a concerned lover.
This felt really realistic to me and showed great character development skill on the part of the author. Perhaps he was written this way to offer a critique of people who actually behave like this. He's just another insecure guy with control issues he takes out on the girl when she doesn't conform to his expectations.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

IloveSpain01 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 16:57 I was not a fan of his character at all. First, while he should naturally be upset he got stood up, how he displayed his anger went too far. When the author mentioned that someone hid from Cynthia after they placed a tracker on her car, I felt it was a bit obvious that it was Dan. Afterwards, Dan became her stalker pretending to actually care for her. His actions leading up to the miscarriage seriously put him in a bad spot of the one inducing the miscarriage by slipping her the medicine in the syrup if the syrup wasn't the medicine already. I felt that could have been explored more. Lastly, his attempts to have Sky arrested were pretty bogus. Overall, I'm not a fan of Dan.
I absolutely agree with you, it was indeed very difficult to get along with Dan's characters. His behaviors really contradicted his profile and age. Like Cynthia and Sky, I had nothing to like him.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

B Creech wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 06:44 I didn't like Dan's character at all and I especially didn't like how he yelled at Cynthia over not keeping their date. I don't know why his name was part of the title because I don't feel like he was a significant character.
I agree absolutely. I wondered about the title, too!
arielkiaira_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by arielkiaira_ »

DC Brown wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:30
His character was like an afterthought. If you have been able to finish the book, it seems that the author needed to tie loose ends up toward the end and used this character to do it. He was concerned for Cynthia when she was sick, but then he turned out to be a class A jerk. I didn't think his character was used enough in the book to be part of the title. He didn't seem the second most important character to me.
I don't think Dan got the proper story line that he deserved. In the beginning, I think he was purposely made to look bad in order for the introduction of Cynthia's other love interest, Sky, to be welcomed favorably by the readers. When he character fist go introduced, Cynthia mentioned how she didn't get to see Dan often, not because his job had long hours but because his job didn't pay well. This insinuated that Cynthia only valued "High-end" dates and discredited Dan's ability to satisfy his woman. And I do believe Dan was used in a sad attempt to tie up loose ends, she wanted to continue to talk Sky up by one making Dan not only a stalker but a jerk.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

Dan was a good character but then due to some circumstances desperation caught up with up and made him state acting out.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”