What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: What is your opinion on Dan's character?

Post by Mukoan M »

I didnt see why the title was Cynthia and Dan as I felt Dan was not given enough time to be featured in the book. To me he felt like a supporting character who is here and then the next moment he is gone.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Dan's character was quite confusing. He went from freaking out at Cynthia for missing their date to caring for her when she was sick, then stalking her. I don't understand why his name is part of the book title, as Sky played a more prominent role in the book.

I felt like the author already created a biased view of him from the beginning to suit the plot.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I didn't care for his character. He was used as a puppet without any respect by the author. His character was unnecessarily degraded to push Cynthia towards Sky without any story development.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

Yeah he was written like a combination of all bad things in a guy. It just felt like the author didn’t know what to do with him and the cyber war plot line.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I really would have liked Dan but i disliked how the story ended for him. I think he deserved someone far better and not that cheat Cynthia. Beside I think he was too silent at some point in this book. The title of this book should have been Cynthia and Sky and not what it is now.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I just liked Dan's character and he acted mature and more like a father in most parts of this book.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I see Dan as a gentleman though much wasn't said about him in the book. Cynthia doesn't like him.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

The characters of Dan is a bit of a disappointment to me. He should have been more developed. Why couldn't he see Cynthia as a woman worthy of a commitment. His sloppiness and thought patterns are pathetic to me. He should have known better than to 'sleep' in the relationship arena. The author should have inferred a reason for this lack in this character.

Again, maybe the society which doesn't frown at long term dating without marriage also contributes to his sloppiness. He is one of those people who do well at work but are almost illiterate in the place of relationships. A mature man would have sought ways to learn about relationships even before getting into one. The role of a man has a lot to do with how the relationship will turn out.

I feel he could have also aspired to be much more than a cop. He could have rose in ranks or something. The fact that the book has his name as part of the title made it look like he had more to offer but his actions were boderline immature even when compared to the college geeks employed in the Cyber room.
Last edited by Precious Oba on 01 Aug 2022, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

Mys_Trea wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 20:31 Dan was an underdeveloped character. So much more could have gone into making him feel like an actual human being we can relate to. He seemed to me like a lazy boyfriend who took his partner for granted. Cynthia was no better for cheating, so she earned no votes from me there. Dan was just all over the place, being complacent one minute, then obsessed the next. His character needed more stability. And charm.

This is just well said. My sentiments, exactly!
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I think Dan's character is tragic. While he does all that he thinks is necessary to maintain his relationship with Cynthia, it is simply not enough.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I honestly did not like how the author crafted his Character. How he was being pushed to be a bad guy all of a sudden was not on, Cynthia wronged Dan and it was left like it didn't matter.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Phooko Tebogo PC
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

sayoniwrites wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 06:11 I didn't care for his character. He was used as a puppet without any respect by the author. His character was unnecessarily degraded to push Cynthia towards Sky without any story development.
I agree too and that was not really realistic. The way the author had developed Dan's character lacked a lot.
~Phooko tebogo
Phooko Tebogo PC
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:00 Dan was like a ghost. I thought with his name being on the cover, he was going to be a big time character. Not so much. It was like he was just a minor, shadow character that Cynthia was trying to avoid. Basically, Cynthia immaturely cheats on Dan and does the whole cover up thing, Dan wasn’t the problem because he really was portrayed as a nobody. Cynthia, she is the one that has major issues and is not likable for me.
Me too, I actually expected a power couple battling a war together but then the story took a different hit. Dan could have just been excluded from the book and as Part in a tittle too
~Phooko tebogo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think Dan was a very prominent character in the novel. I’m not sure why his name was part of the title. I guess I thought his yelling at her was to make her aware of how her behavior affected HIM (little did he know). He seemed to be all about himself and only aware of Cynthia and her problems when it hurt him. I didn’t like him! But I didn’t really like Sky either. He just seemed to see Cynthia as a conquest
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I saw Dan as a simple who can't express himself and also can't take responsibility. Though he had a soft heart.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”