What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 17:00
AntonelaMaria wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 14:47
Nisha Ward wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 19:37

In a different thread someone else pointed out that Cynthia may not have had formal sex education, but the pregnancy thing still boggles my mind, and Sky's lecture definitely didn't make itnseem more romantic.
Doesn't have formal sex education? Did someone say that? Really? I just can't believe that... I mean it seems unlikely that 20 something woman doesn't know about periods and that unprotected sex leads to pregnancy. I don't know what the author thought to gain with writing such character with all her traits....so annoying.
Not with that exact phrase (I was trying to come up with a way to say it and seemed to have failed?) but I think they were more trying to guess at what the author was trying to do than defending what she did do. I mean, Cynthia does mention at the beginning that she's a country girl and from what I've heard, sex education in the U.S. isn't always good? I don't know since we learn about it as part of biology here.
Maybe we just grasping for straws and trying to make it something that is not. Cynthia that is. Making excuses. She is just a weak protagonist with unclear characteristics.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Cynthia and Dan - nothing going on there to begin with, so nothing to rebuild. Cynthia and Sky - a bit one-sided, Sky was unreal, and Cynthia just seemed hungry for love, but took wierd.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I thought that Cynthia was an idiot going back to Sky’s place with him when they first meet, like seriously in this day and age that’s so dangerous and she’s an investigator for gosh sake you would think she would know better! I didn’t think that part was very believable. And when sky kept trying to see her and writing letters to her, every other word being “darling” and “sweetheart”, if it were me that would send up red flags immediately. People don’t usually do that when they barely know each other, and when they do behave like that it immediately makes me suspect something is not right. I don’t know, I did enjoy the cyber war part of the book the romance part was far fetched in my opinion.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 19:48 I thought that Cynthia was an idiot going back to Sky’s place with him when they first meet, like seriously in this day and age that’s so dangerous and she’s an investigator for gosh sake you would think she would know better! I didn’t think that part was very believable. And when sky kept trying to see her and writing letters to her, every other word being “darling” and “sweetheart”, if it were me that would send up red flags immediately. People don’t usually do that when they barely know each other, and when they do behave like that it immediately makes me suspect something is not right. I don’t know, I did enjoy the cyber war part of the book the romance part was far fetched in my opinion.
There was something very perverse and creepy about Sky and I'll admit the use of those words have a lot to do with it, to me. Like, you don't call someone that after you just met them.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Sky's actions in his and Cynthia's "relationship" made him seem like he was a borderline predator. I kept expecting it to come out that he was some serial killer. The stalking that Dan did fit more with Sky's character. I agree with others who have said that the romantic conversations in both relationships seemed forced and cheesy. I think a book could've pulled off both the romance and the cyber threads of the plot, but it needs to be more realistic all the way around.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

The more I read this thread, the more I wish I Would have given it a different kind of review. What I missed took the romance, now looks like immediate stalker material and the way she left things with Dan left a bad taste in my mouth. After all she knew what he wanted and expected from their relationship so for her to act like she wanted something different all out of the blue must’ve been confusing to Dan. Ridiculous.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Abacus wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 19:07 Cynthia and Dan - nothing going on there to begin with, so nothing to rebuild. Cynthia and Sky - a bit one-sided, Sky was unreal, and Cynthia just seemed hungry for love, but took wierd.
Yes in nutshell it is just that simple.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Janalyn101 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 11:48 The more I read this thread, the more I wish I Would have given it a different kind of review. What I missed took the romance, now looks like immediate stalker material and the way she left things with Dan left a bad taste in my mouth. After all she knew what he wanted and expected from their relationship so for her to act like she wanted something different all out of the blue must’ve been confusing to Dan. Ridiculous.
If you wish to share your link for the review. I am still learning ropes to find stuff on this page.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 07:54 Sky's actions in his and Cynthia's "relationship" made him seem like he was a borderline predator. I kept expecting it to come out that he was some serial killer. The stalking that Dan did fit more with Sky's character. I agree with others who have said that the romantic conversations in both relationships seemed forced and cheesy. I think a book could've pulled off both the romance and the cyber threads of the plot, but it needs to be more realistic all the way around.
The most impact has the fact that you put a relationship under quote marks. Enough said. :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 19:48 I thought that Cynthia was an idiot going back to Sky’s place with him when they first meet, like seriously in this day and age that’s so dangerous and she’s an investigator for gosh sake you would think she would know better! I didn’t think that part was very believable. And when sky kept trying to see her and writing letters to her, every other word being “darling” and “sweetheart”, if it were me that would send up red flags immediately. People don’t usually do that when they barely know each other, and when they do behave like that it immediately makes me suspect something is not right. I don’t know, I did enjoy the cyber war part of the book the romance part was far fetched in my opinion.
I think I suppressed the memory of those letters. You are right it is just unbelievable. That is so cringy and awful.
Ardentreader_19
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: The misery
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentreader-19.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ardentreader_19 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
The romance portrayed in the book wasn't really appealing for me. Loyalty is important and surely Cynthia should have broken up before she enter another relationship.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

DC Brown wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:44
AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:28
maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
I think for me the biggest problem was reading about educated I guess a woman in her late 20's getting lectured about sex, period, pregnancy and plan b by a man and man she knows no less than a day. She is written as two different people. And I agree for me too insta love is just not realistic. Every time Sky comes with the " I love you" I just cringe, all that love and marriage talk after one day. :roll:
I like your point that Cynthia is written as two different people. I actually had the thought that there were two different writers, each took a chapter, and they didn't compare notes. LOL!!
I had the same thought about Cynthia being two people, hence two writers. She didn't feel solid to me. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

OK, I actually have read insta-romances that were well written and quite believable, but in this case - no spark, no tension, and then out of the blue - they are having sex... Not to mention the entire first meeting was like "what?" I mean, she stops a stranger who then drags her to the cafe, still not knowing who the man is, she basically gives him the brand new car with keys inside... Then goes to his place... All the while Skye is behaving like a cliche of spy movies (hence the cigar part) and Cynthia is behaving like a damsel in distress, not a supposed bodyguard...
Also, the first page - and I could already feel the author's stance towards Dan - the boyfriend. He was already presented as faulty and dull, even without meeting the character at all...
Sorry, but cheating is something I will never find romantic.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Books and movies that have "instant love" stories are rarely a winner. Its just too unnatural. I never take to books like this, that's why I don't recommend it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

lucia_kizas wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 04:42 OK, I actually have read insta-romances that were well written and quite believable, but in this case - no spark, no tension, and then out of the blue - they are having sex... Not to mention the entire first meeting was like "what?" I mean, she stops a stranger who then drags her to the cafe, still not knowing who the man is, she basically gives him the brand new car with keys inside... Then goes to his place... All the while Skye is behaving like a cliche of spy movies (hence the cigar part) and Cynthia is behaving like a damsel in distress, not a supposed bodyguard...
Also, the first page - and I could already feel the author's stance towards Dan - the boyfriend. He was already presented as faulty and dull, even without meeting the character at all...
Sorry, but cheating is something I will never find romantic.
Yes, I feel what you said about Dan too. Because it was obvious the way the author would go as we met Dan after all the affair with Sky happened. It feels like she prepared us for Dan and for her cheating being justified. So ridiculous.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”