What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Icon What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
After I finished the book I couldn't decide if it was a lousy romance novel or a lousy spy novel. It seemed like it was trying to be both and failed completely. The relationships throughout the book were odd, except for the computer nerds. I liked them the best. They actually got things done instead of wallowing in drama.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

DC Brown wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:34
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
After I finished the book I couldn't decide if it was a lousy romance novel or a lousy spy novel. It seemed like it was trying to be both and failed completely. The relationships throughout the book were odd, except for the computer nerds. I liked them the best. They actually got things done instead of wallowing in drama.
I agree. It was all over the place but never where it should be. I think I will choose the computer guys as my favorite characters and part of the story.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
I think for me the biggest problem was reading about educated I guess a woman in her late 20's getting lectured about sex, period, pregnancy and plan b by a man and man she knows no less than a day. She is written as two different people. And I agree for me too insta love is just not realistic. Every time Sky comes with the " I love you" I just cringe, all that love and marriage talk after one day. :roll:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I found Cynthia and Sky's relationship very off-putting. I think Sky is a shady type of character who is not authentic. There love is in no way believable and should not be seen as a healthy relationship. Cynthia is far too trusting.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
I also do not believe in instant love because most of the time it will begin fading away. I will not support any reason for cheating in a relationship. Boredom can never be an excuse either.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 15:42 I found Cynthia and Sky's relationship very off-putting. I think Sky is a shady type of character who is not authentic. There love is in no way believable and should not be seen as a healthy relationship. Cynthia is far too trusting.
I agree. The relationship starts with a grownup essentially giving away her car.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I did not enjoy the romance passages at all. They felt forced and stereotyped to me, but most of all, I found them a bit cheesy. I basically liked the parts involving the computer geeks.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:28
I think for me the biggest problem was reading about educated I guess a woman in her late 20's getting lectured about sex, period, pregnancy and plan b by a man and man she knows no less than a day. She is written as two different people. And I agree for me too insta love is just not realistic. Every time Sky comes with the " I love you" I just cringe, all that love and marriage talk after one day. :roll:
I like your point that Cynthia is written as two different people. I actually had the thought that there were two different writers, each took a chapter, and they didn't compare notes. LOL!!
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

mmm17 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 13:15 I did not enjoy the romance passages at all. They felt forced and stereotyped to me, but most of all, I found them a bit cheesy. I basically liked the parts involving the computer geeks.
Yeah!! Another vote for the geeks!! They are my favorites. They got things done and enjoyed their work! Let's have them be the stars of the next book!
Victoria zindo Jones
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Victoria zindo Jones »

Romance and relationship are the key ingredients to making an interesting love story in a book though Cynthia and Dan's relationship seemed to be forced which totally made it lack passion
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 15:42 I found Cynthia and Sky's relationship very off-putting. I think Sky is a shady type of character who is not authentic. There love is in no way believable and should not be seen as a healthy relationship. Cynthia is far too trusting.
I completely agree! Cynthia and Sky's relationship just didn't seem believable to me. I don't exactly know why, but it felt too stereotyped.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

mmm17 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 10:17
I completely agree! Cynthia and Sky's relationship just didn't seem believable to me. I don't exactly know why, but it felt too stereotyped.
Yeah, 100 % unbelievable. I am also trying to understand the title of the book why is Dan name there? Didn't really surprised me with Sky twist as that happens so early on in the book. :eusa-think:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

mmm17 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 10:17
It felt insincere. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was, but I didn't find it believable.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”