What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by Storm+ »

Personally, I felt that Cynthia's relationship with Dan was boring and rather pointless, just it was meant to be. Unfortunately, I felt pretty much the same way about the "instant" connection between Cynthia and Sky. Although I'd love to believe in love at first sight, it just isn't logical or viable in this novel, especially given Sky's really odd behavior. It seemed as though the very same qualities that Cynthia hated in Dan- such as his bossiness and general disregard for her needs- were things she found attractive in Sky. It just doesn't make sense. As a whole, the unbelievable nature of the romance in this book was rather disappointing.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I didn't like Cynthia and Sky's sudden and unusual encounter on the first day. She had a date with Dan and forgot about it. That was very immature and displays her lack of commitment.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Storm+ wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 02:08 Personally, I felt that Cynthia's relationship with Dan was boring and rather pointless, just it was meant to be. Unfortunately, I felt pretty much the same way about the "instant" connection between Cynthia and Sky. Although I'd love to believe in love at first sight, it just isn't logical or viable in this novel, especially given Sky's really odd behavior. It seemed as though the very same qualities that Cynthia hated in Dan- such as his bossiness and general disregard for her needs- were things she found attractive in Sky. It just doesn't make sense. As a whole, the unbelievable nature of the romance in this book was rather disappointing.
I agree with your opinion about Cynthia and her relationships.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I think books should he used to teach morals. So normalising cheating in this book is wrong. However i think Dan is a more realistic character than Sky. The love theme was poor developed though.
Dave Manny
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dave-manny.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dave Manny »

Sometimes, when I read a novel like this I wonder about the security of the final relationship, because if she can betray Dan and start a relationship with Sky, what's stopping her from betraying Sky?
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Cynthia should have broken up with Dan before bringing it on with Sky, it made the entire relationship look lousy and a total failure.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
You literally stole words from my mouth. This is exactly what I thought
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

Their love is in no way believable and should not be seen as a healthy relationship. Dan's relationship with Cynthia seem to be forced.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

I couldnt quiet believe if it was genuine enough
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Generally the book is ridiculous in every way. Maybe the concept of instant love would appeal to younger people. Cynthia is a poorly conceived character, her cheating is just one pointer to the fact.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I am not a fan of romance in general and about romance in this book in particular. The story would have been much better with less romantic scenes. These parts were dull to read and distracted me from the "cyber story". I found that part a lot more interesting.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I thought Sky was the bad guy in the beginning. He was so secretive and weird and I thought it was so unbelievable that Cynthia would cheat on her long term mate with him after one day, let alone follow him to grab lunch. I literally can't fathom the marriage and the love talk. She knew nothing about the guy!!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

The relationship felt a bit forced to me. Especially as a book that's supposed to be romance in genre, I feel that the way the relationship was written should have been a lot better. I also absolutely hate any form of cheating, even if it's in a fiction book.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I feel lust played a major role in the story. I don’t believe in love at first sight, attraction maybe but not love.
Hutygags
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hutygags.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hutygags »

I have my doubts that a man addressing a woman as "beautiful" the first time he sees her, while she is stuck in traffic, would have any measure of charm to it.

Cynthia doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Supposedly, no man has ever told her he loves her, but her license plate is "ILUVDAN." I don't think she would wear her heart on her sleeve so much that she would announce her love to the world if she was ready to betray it at a literal moment's notice, and especially if the partner hadn't expressed the same feeling for her.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”