What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Dragonsend »

He tells Cynthia she has done nothing wrong, but then goes to confession??? So, he's mature because of that, what about Cynthia having to accept her guilt?? Big plot holes!!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 07:26 Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of I romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?
Oh, most definitely. It reminded me of the bad guys in shows like Criminal Minds, to be honest.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

Cynthia trusted Sky easily. And Sky's character is too shady. He acted so weird. Their relationship are very off-putting.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Dragonsend wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 18:48 He tells Cynthia she has done nothing wrong, but then goes to confession??? So, he's mature because of that, what about Cynthia having to accept her guilt?? Big plot holes!!
That one spoke of him being two-faced and just untrustworthy. Why would he lie like that anyway? That's hardly 'mature behavior' in my book. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nisha Ward wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 19:24
diana lowery wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 07:26 Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of I romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?
Oh, most definitely. It reminded me of the bad guys in shows like Criminal Minds, to be honest.
vivalatianne wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:20 Cynthia trusted Sky easily. And Sky's character is too shady. He acted so weird. Their relationship are very off-putting.
Shady, weird, and having an almost criminal mind...I think we have a definition of Sky!! :lol2: Thanks to both of you for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

Sky’s character comes off as needy sometimes and some of his methods for the possible pregnancy are extreme.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 05:33 Sky’s character comes off as needy sometimes and some of his methods for the possible pregnancy are extreme.
He did seem a bit obsessed about that, didn't he? Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kelyn wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 15:04
cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 05:33 Sky’s character comes off as needy sometimes and some of his methods for the possible pregnancy are extreme.
He did seem a bit obsessed about that, didn't he? Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
More than a bit, I'd say.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Clearly the author wasn't sure how to develop Sky's character. He is all over the place. In the beginning, he shows up out of nowhere and for no reason seems to infatuated with Cynthia. He quickly pulls out the stops to get laid, like you state. He later comes by her house super worried about a pregnancy and brings her Plan B and medication you can only take when prescribed. This is alone, very strange. He becomes clingy, but gives her her space and then all of a sudden they are happily ever after. I jumps all over the place. I imagine Mercer was trying to make Sky interesting, but instead just made him confusing. I wish he would have been mysterious as a whole or just a normal guy and it would have been better.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Sky's character seemed to be more like a stalker than Dan's character did. I was actually expecting there to be some grand reveal at the end where Sky ended up being behind some of the schemes they blamed on Dan. Sky weaseled his way into a relationship with a girl who had a boyfriend, seduced her, and declared everlasting love before he really even knew her. Come on!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 17:56 Sky's character seemed to be more like a stalker than Dan's character did. I was actually expecting there to be some grand reveal at the end where Sky ended up being behind some of the schemes they blamed on Dan. Sky weaseled his way into a relationship with a girl who had a boyfriend, seduced her, and declared everlasting love before he really even knew her. Come on!
Not to mention he doesn't even think the cheating part was wrong. Just the pre-marital sex.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:16
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 17:56 Sky's character seemed to be more like a stalker than Dan's character did. I was actually expecting there to be some grand reveal at the end where Sky ended up being behind some of the schemes they blamed on Dan. Sky weaseled his way into a relationship with a girl who had a boyfriend, seduced her, and declared everlasting love before he really even knew her. Come on!
Not to mention he doesn't even think the cheating part was wrong. Just the pre-marital sex.
Exactly. He forces his way in to comfort Cynthia after her breakup with Dan a little too conveniently, like maybe he's done this kind of thing before, and then spews out this speech about how she did nothing wrong.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

tristenb wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 08:39 Clearly the author wasn't sure how to develop Sky's character. He is all over the place. In the beginning, he shows up out of nowhere and for no reason seems to infatuated with Cynthia. He quickly pulls out the stops to get laid, like you state. He later comes by her house super worried about a pregnancy and brings her Plan B and medication you can only take when prescribed. This is alone, very strange. He becomes clingy, but gives her her space and then all of a sudden they are happily ever after. I jumps all over the place. I imagine Mercer was trying to make Sky interesting, but instead just made him confusing. I wish he would have been mysterious as a whole or just a normal guy and it would have been better.
I agree. As another reviewer observed, people can have more than one facet to their personality. I realize that. But Sky's personality was more fractured than it was faceted. He would definitely have been better off sticking to a single theme. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I actually thought poorly of him from the very beginning when he comes off so smooth and mysterious with Cynthia. I expected him to surreptitiously put GHB (sp?) in her drink at any minute. It just got worse and less realistic and reasonable as it went further into the book! Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:22
Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:16
Exactly. He forces his way in to comfort Cynthia after her breakup with Dan a little too conveniently, like maybe he's done this kind of thing before, and then spews out this speech about how she did nothing wrong.
That and given the fact that he went to confession, I was surprised that adultery wasn't the sin he confessed to, considering the whole "Thou shaly not covet thy neighbour's wife" commandment. The author's reason for her choosing Sky also bothered me a lot because of this. We have no reason to believe he's better than Dan other than the marriage proposal and there was no indication that Cynthia wanted even that much from the latter guy.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”