What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 14:34
Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:15
Kelyn wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:41

I actually thought poorly of him from the very beginning when he comes off so smooth and mysterious with Cynthia. I expected him to surreptitiously put GHB (sp?) in her drink at any minute. It just got worse and less realistic and reasonable as it went further into the book! Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
I won't lie. I thought he spiked her drink in the penthouse.
I swear I thought that too. I really thought he was shady and didn't expect him to turn out to be "hero" of this book.
Like, I'm almost sure that if you're used to drinking, an ounce of rum wouldn't get you drunk or even tipsy?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I still don't understand why or how this book was chosen for a book of the month! Awful, unrealistic characters and stilted dialogue. Poor details. I do not understand.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 19:48
Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:15

I won't lie. I thought he spiked her drink in the penthouse.
I swear I thought that too. I really thought he was shady and didn't expect him to turn out to be "hero" of this book.
Like, I'm almost sure that if you're used to drinking, an ounce of rum wouldn't get you drunk or even tipsy?
I wish that was my only problem with this book. Just thinking about all issues makes me :x
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 17:08

I wish that was my only problem with this book. Just thinking about all issues makes me :x
Me too. There were so many and, ironically, Sky caused like half of them.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 23:10 I still don't understand why or how this book was chosen for a book of the month! Awful, unrealistic characters and stilted dialogue. Poor details. I do not understand.
I'm not certain what 'rules' or requirements they use to pick the book of the month. Perhaps not all of the ones making the decision had actually read it? There's no knowing. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 21:43

And I feel like a lot of people here who are not usually romance readers think this is a good representation of the genre. Which isn't correct.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 12:51
And I feel like a lot of people here who are not usually romance readers think this is a good representation of the genre. Which isn't correct.
Oh definitely. This is as far from good representation as I've read, actually, in terms of romance.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:17
AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 12:51

Oh definitely. This is as far from good representation as I've read, actually, in terms of romance.
Maybe even both romance and suspense. Even though I liked the cyber war part still it wasn't difficult to be better compared to the first part of the book.
Flamingobingo
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Flamingobingo »

Sky was a very mysterious character, I was always confused when reading about him, I also became very scared when he was asked to lock her car, I thought he was going to kidnap Cynthia at any moment in time.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Flamingobingo wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 10:23 Sky was a very mysterious character, I was always confused when reading about him, I also became very scared when he was asked to lock her car, I thought he was going to kidnap Cynthia at any moment in time.
It seems like many of us were suspicious of him at that point. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I didn't like Sky's character at all. He was just weird. I saw him as a user in many ways and he could be condescending. He treated Cynthia like she was an airhead when he wanted to know if she knew how to use a cell phone, and especially over the pregnancy issue! (I found her to be a bit of an airhead too, but you see where I'm coming from here I'm sure)! :lol:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I didn't trust Sky from the start. His "gentlemanly" behavior seemed suspicious. He came across as creepy and stalkery to me. He also seemed controlling, especially when he brought Cynthia the birth control items. I was disappointed that Cynthia liked him so much.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I think you just about summed up the guy perfectly. But maybe it was because he was so puzzling that he became so attractive.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

It is possible that Sky was being used by the author as a sort of universal foil, but I read more into it. I felt like the author was trying to capture the ordinary fickleness of men who behave like this. Sky set a standard and as long as the object of his interest complied, everything was copacetic.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

B Creech wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 06:36 I didn't like Sky's character at all. He was just weird. I saw him as a user in many ways and he could be condescending. He treated Cynthia like she was an airhead when he wanted to know if she knew how to use a cell phone, and especially over the pregnancy issue! (I found her to be a bit of an airhead too, but you see where I'm coming from here I'm sure)! :lol:
Yes, I do. :lol2: One can't help not thinking of her as somewhat of an airhead given the swiftness with which she opened her life to this guy she had basically just met. I mean, these days, who does that?!?! Thanks for passing by and commenting!

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”