Flow of the Book and Development of Characters

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Re: Flow of the Book and Development of Characters

Post by vivalatianne »

I still coudlnt tell yet... This book is part of a series, so maybe there’s more back story in the previous books, but I was also disappointed when I read it. I still didn’t connect with his character, but maybe you will.
heatherashley7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by heatherashley7 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 11:20 I am at 35 % of the book and I have to ask what character development and what flow of the story. Must be hiding somewhere because I don't see it or is it too early for me to judge it. I don't get the author and the choice she made when writing these characters. They seem like they are not completely and clearly mapped up before writing Also, I can't figure out how old Cynthia is? She reads like a high schooler. Sky is very contradictory I keep waiting for him to reveal that he is some kind of spy.
I am a little late responding but I completely agree! This book felt very "high schooler/middle schooler". If the author had left out the rated R scene, that is the target audience I would have picked for this book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

Generally, I think the novel had a poor character development. The author promised a lot of answers towards the book end yet answered very few questions.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

heatherashley7 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:57
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 11:20 I am at 35 % of the book and I have to ask what character development and what flow of the story. Must be hiding somewhere because I don't see it or is it too early for me to judge it. I don't get the author and the choice she made when writing these characters. They seem like they are not completely and clearly mapped up before writing Also, I can't figure out how old Cynthia is? She reads like a high schooler. Sky is very contradictory I keep waiting for him to reveal that he is some kind of spy.
I am a little late responding but I completely agree! This book felt very "high schooler/middle schooler". If the author had left out the rated R scene, that is the target audience I would have picked for this book.
After reading it I am 100 % of the opinion that there is none or very little character development. Cynthia, for the most part, seems like two people both equally annoying but her person, while she is around Dan or Sky, seems very immature and stays that way. For a woman who is security for a senator smart and capable her action from the beginning of the book negates everything, the author tries to make of it. Again I come to the conclusion that maybe to some her later action seemed like development but to me felt like a complitley different person.
Glenn seems like the sanest and the most likable character but wasn't given room to impact or take place in the plotline.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

There are several comments regarding needing to read other books in this series to have a better understanding of the characters in this installment. I could not relate well to them- especially Cynthia and Sky. Also, I like when books of a series are able to also stand alone- plot and character-wise.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

heatherashley7 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:14 Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hopefully this book will get better! :?
I'm not sure, but I think I read someplace that this book was part of a weekly (monthly?) submission to a magazine. If true, it could be the reason for the chopiness. It's been awhile since I've read a short romance which even then thought them to be unrealistic. I treated this one like I did the others; keeping it light and not taking it too seriously. I also can see everyone's point and agree that there are gaps that need filling in. :tiphat:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Let's be honest, the character development was Abit poor, I mean look at sky, we know very little about him. Then came Dan, his character was flawed towards the end of the story.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

heatherashley7 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:14 Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

I have to agree that there isn't enough detail. The characters aren' really developing and actually seem pretty immature given their ages. Sky's character is all over the place and obsessive, to say the least.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

It seemed like the author just needed some more practice writing? Like the plot was workable, just the characterization needed a ton more fleshing out and making more...realistic?
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 02:01 I was disappointed with the entire story. I kept waiting for it to get better and it never did. I don’t read a lot of fiction, but I went ahead and read this one for the discussion of it. I couldn’t wait until I got to the end. The story and characters seemed fake to me throughout. It just wasn’t for me.
Yes! I kept waiting for the Cyber War aspect to kick in properly and it just never did.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I had the same feeling while reading this book and even after finishing, I could not understand a few things. However, upon discovering that it was part of a series, I knew for sure that my questions could have been answered in another instalment.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Well, you're right. Cynthia is jus a character readers tend to misunderstand. There are people like Cynthia in real life. I didn't focus on Sky. However, I think this book can't be read alone without first reading the previous book. Perhaps that's why we can't understand these characters.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Bluebird03 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 19:38 There are several comments regarding needing to read other books in this series to have a better understanding of the characters in this installment. I could not relate well to them- especially Cynthia and Sky. Also, I like when books of a series are able to also stand alone- plot and character-wise.
I agree with your opinion!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

If this book is part of a series, then it might be understandable to skip some info so as to make readers interested in the other series. However some basic and necessary knowledge need to be given to help the reader follow along. Poor job
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

I felt the pacing was too slow, particularly in the beginning. The characters weren't especially empathetic, and a bit flat.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”