What did Cynthia facing constant danger do for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: What did Cynthia facing constant danger do for the book?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 20:02
Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 16:54
Agnes098 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 12:53 I want to believe that the author was trying to think out of the box. Or maybe charatirises Cynthia as an imperfect protagonist with "too visible" flaws. Anyways the portrayal of Cynthia as a protagonist was too irresponsible and vulnerable for most of us.
I wish it were just a case of that, but I don't think she was being portrayed as imperfect. We're supposed to believe that she's badass with a side of vulnerability but the first part never actually comes through in the narrative.
Yes, her badassery is severly lacking in this book.
Her supposed skill in hand to hand could have come in handy plenty of times in the story, but never did.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Agnes098 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 12:53 I want to believe that the author was trying to think out of the box. Or maybe charatirises Cynthia as an imperfect protagonist with "too visible" flaws. Anyways the portrayal of Cynthia as a protagonist was too irresponsible and vulnerable for most of us.
It could what he had planned to do, characterising an overflawed protagonist, but that also makes her unrelatable and confusing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

mmm17 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 10:12 That is a good point! She was in constant danger, wasn't she? I'm not sure what that did for me. Cynthia wasn't a well-developed character, in my opinion. I felt that the fact of being constantly in danger did not do her character any favours.
I feel like she helped build the suspense in the book for the first few chapters but afterwards, Empathy fatigue might have set in, and her constant way of getting into precarious situations became monotonous.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 06:17
mmm17 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 10:12 That is a good point! She was in constant danger, wasn't she? I'm not sure what that did for me. Cynthia wasn't a well-developed character, in my opinion. I felt that the fact of being constantly in danger did not do her character any favours.
I feel like she helped build the suspense in the book for the first few chapters but afterwards, Empathy fatigue might have set in, and her constant way of getting into precarious situations became monotonous.
Added to that, it's hard to believe that she was ever in any real peril at all.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The potential for danger did fuel the plot. I kept reading to see how the various situations would resolve themselves. I didn't usually find the way they were resolved very realistic. For example, I found Sky to be very creepy, and even dangerous for Cynthia to be around. Yet she ends up marrying him. It that sense, the constant danger wasn't a successful device.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 08:35 The potential for danger did fuel the plot. I kept reading to see how the various situations would resolve themselves. I didn't usually find the way they were resolved very realistic. For example, I found Sky to be very creepy, and even dangerous for Cynthia to be around. Yet she ends up marrying him. It that sense, the constant danger wasn't a successful device.
A protagonist who meets a character who is creepy (by all accounts and in a realistic standpoint) and dangerous, but ends up marrying him. That is very unrealistic, and unbelievable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Fatima_Palacios wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 12:35
Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 13:52
Lucas Kalinic wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 11:41 Cynthia facing constant danger was a big boost for suspense in the novel. Yes, she made certain wrong moves and I was always inquisitive on learning what was going to next happen to her.
Did it though? I mean, it was kind of predictable for a while there.
agree it was not forgettable but predictable
At some point, you had to question why her "inquisitive nature" always led to precarious situations and it should have become predictable from there on out.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

In a way it shows how we learn. She was rash and made some big mistakes, but she learned from them and did her best to fix the problems she earlier invited. It makes the story more real when the character isn't perfect.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

We've seen protagonist characters developed as people who has it all figured out. So, portraying Cynthia as always vulnerable is a whole new dimension that made the book more thrilling.

So, yes. I found the book thrilling with the Cynthia's character.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

After a certain time, Cynthia facing danger became redundant.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:16 After a certain time, Cynthb :techie-studyingbrown: ia facing danger became redundant.
Again, I must ask, with the exception of the miscarriage, was she ever even really in danger?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:24
AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:16 After a certain time, Cynthb :techie-studyingbrown: ia facing danger became redundant.
Again, I must ask, with the exception of the miscarriage, was she ever even really in danger?
Excellent point!!! Hm, maybe the question is overhyped as I didn't particularly find this book suspenseful. Danger definitely is not the correct term to use.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 16:25
Nisha Ward wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:24
Excellent point!!! Hm, maybe the question is overhyped as I didn't particularly find this book suspenseful. Danger definitely is not the correct term to use.
I'm leaning towards that view myself, to be quite honest.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 11:36 In a way it shows how we learn. She was rash and made some big mistakes, but she learned from them and did her best to fix the problems she earlier invited. It makes the story more real when the character isn't perfect.
It certainly makes it more compelling and captivating.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I think the author used these scenes to build the storyline and maybe develop some characters. I think they did well for the story though.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”