What did Cynthia facing constant danger do for the book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: What did Cynthia facing constant danger do for the book?

Post by Bhaskins »

I agree. I feel like women have “protective strategies” pounded into our heads from an early age so it makes it not very realistic.
sarahmarlowe wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 19:31
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 09:04 Did you feel that a protagonist who seemed to be in ever present danger and just barely survived was good for the book? Did she make the story more thrilling?
I didn't like Cynthia as a protagonist from early in the book. I found her dimwitted about her surroundings, getting herself into danger as much as having danger find her. For example, when she meets Sky, she trusts him enough to give him the make, model, and tag number of her unlocked, keys-in-it car? Good grief. And then she is happy that "his friend" has taken care of it? She's not my definition of a strong female character. Or strong any kind of character. I don't think she made the story thrilling, more like frustrating.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 12:51 I think the author used these scenes to build the storyline and maybe develop some characters. I think they did well for the story though.
I agree, I feel this was the motivation the author had through the book, but I'm not sure it was a good literary resource to use, at least not repeatedly in the way it was here.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

Cynthia's attitude was rather unjustified for a person who is supposed to be trained to combat danger, one would expect her to always be cautious, this does not make the plot more exciting but rather strange or perhaps disconcerting
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I think Cynthia always being in constant danger made the story more thrilling. It kept me on my toes, thinking of what she'll do to get herself out of it.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I think it was very ridiculous and annoying to see Cynthia behaving like someone who lacks common sense. Trusting someone you've known for the fast time is an under appreciate thing as far as security is concerned. I think having her as protagonists could have been substituted for someone else. To me she contributed nothing to make thus story thrilling.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

Cynthia is definitely a "damsel in distress" type, and more often than not got herself into trouble! Her instantaneous trust of Sky and compliance with his patronizing behavior was obnoxious and hard to read.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

How can Cynthia, who is under the threat of terrorism, venture into a stranger’s apartment alone? Is that even plausible? This was beyond me! However, her spontaneity did make the story highly thrilling.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

The fact that she is faced with one crisis to another makes the book intriguing and this to me is the fun part of the book.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I do appreciate a suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat thrill when I'm reading a book, but a character's ever-present naivety is so tiresome you begin to feel frustrated and the story just loses its appeal. I would prefer if a situation where our protagonist is befallen by something or the other it's credible and not a result of extremely annoying absent-mindedness.
Thebookwasbetter12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwasbetter12.html
Latest Review: Head Trauma by Cheray Gardison

Post by Thebookwasbetter12 »

I do believe her hardly surviving made the book more thrilling and suspenseful because, as you read the novel, the protagonist’s fate seemed to change constantly, thus compelling you to finish the book in order to find out what ultimately happens. Additionally, I feel that the fact that the protagonist actually ends up surviving makes the novel worthwhile- if the main character died, I feel like it may have been a slight letdown.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

I believe Cynthia was not a strong protagonist. Her character wasn't really fit. The writer definitely need to improve her character if that can be done.
And because of how her character was moulded that's why she's in constant danger.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I mean, I always believed that books need some extent of realistic events in them so I could remain interested. for me, after a while the fact that she was in constant danger took away from that; it was too much and ceased to be thrilling, so I would say no.
mam_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by mam_reader »

Considering whoi she was and what she did for a living, her character seemed ditzy to me and outright stupid. A stronger female character would have made the book more thrilling.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

It was certainly thrilling at first, but after a while, it felt boring and that the new "normal" was for her to be in constant danger..
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Honestly no. She was a little stupid and yet she worked for the senator? she lacked common sense.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”