Did the author overuse emboldened subtitles in chapters?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: Did the author overuse emboldened subtitles in chapters?

Post by Swat3737 »

I agree that this formatting decision by the author took away from the flow of the story. I felt it didn't give the reader enough credit that they could understand what was happening without the author making it so obvious. I think the same purpose could have been accomplished without it being bold.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Swat3737 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 10:54 I agree that this formatting decision by the author took away from the flow of the story. I felt it didn't give the reader enough credit that they could understand what was happening without the author making it so obvious. I think the same purpose could have been accomplished without it being bold.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I feel like the subtitles were unnecessary as the chapters and text should speak for themselves. The reader shouldn't need to be given too much information via subtitles unless they are date stamps, for instance, if the book changes time periods often. The impression I got from the bold subtitles was that the book looked unprofessionally written.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Swat3737 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 10:54 I agree that this formatting decision by the author took away from the flow of the story. I felt it didn't give the reader enough credit that they could understand what was happening without the author making it so obvious. I think the same purpose could have been accomplished without it being bold.
It really could have. The only use I could see for those is if you need to establish a certain timeframe and location for flashbacks or for a short unusual pov shift, but that wasn't what wad happening here.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

They took me out of the story and were distracting and didn't really serve a purpose? The book could have done without
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

danielleamy wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 18:57 I feel like the subtitles were unnecessary as the chapters and text should speak for themselves. The reader shouldn't need to be given too much information via subtitles unless they are date stamps, for instance, if the book changes time periods often. The impression I got from the bold subtitles was that the book looked unprofessionally written.
I agree with you on the proper use of subtitles, how the author used them felt wrong and constantly plucked me from whatevervlittle rhythm I had gannered while reading.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I agree with you, they were unnecessary and annoying. They took away the flow of the book and suspense.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Melissa Breen wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 19:28 They took me out of the story and were distracting and didn't really serve a purpose? The book could have done without
I completely agree with you. Readers do not appreciate being taught what is or is not important while reading.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wambui-nj wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 09:22 I agree with you, they were unnecessary and annoying. They took away the flow of the book and suspense.
Any sort of momentum or suspense accrued prior to them was always extinguished. They were completely unnecessary, I agree.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I found these irritating. Many of them were used to indicate location (Bus Stop p. 148; Glenn's Office p. 141). It made it seem like the reader couldn't figure out where this scene was occurring. It would have been better for these "locations" to have been indicated in the body of the story.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I honestly didn't even pay attention to them, except for the rated R one you mentioned. I think that that one in particular was unecessary since the reader should have know the book was a romance novel intented for a more mature audience. Honestly, it wasn't even that explicit and the author probably would have been better not including it so that a bit younger of a reader might enjoy it.

In general, I think I naturally skipped over them without paying much attention to them.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:54 I found these irritating. Many of them were used to indicate location (Bus Stop p. 148; Glenn's Office p. 141). It made it seem like the reader couldn't figure out where this scene was occurring. It would have been better for these "locations" to have been indicated in the body of the story.
I agree, it made me feel stupid in the author's eyes.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

It didn’t bother me much, but there were times when they were used unnecessarily, so I can understand why they would bother people in those instances.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 05:23 It didn’t bother me much, but there were times when they were used unnecessarily, so I can understand why they would bother people in those instances.
It was used in every single chapter, your saying you are okay with that?
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 07:40
cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 05:23 It didn’t bother me much, but there were times when they were used unnecessarily, so I can understand why they would bother people in those instances.
It was used in every single chapter, your saying you are okay with that?
Not that I was okay with it, but it didn’t bother me as much as it could’ve. :)

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”