Did the author overuse emboldened subtitles in chapters?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did the author overuse emboldened subtitles in chapters?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 20:13 I'll admit it was definitely a different approach but I appreciated with the R rated scene so you were prepared for what was coming. I don't think it took away from the book and most did not allude to what was going to happen.
?..but to have in every single chapter?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 19:52
Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 20:13 I'll admit it was definitely a different approach but I appreciated with the R rated scene so you were prepared for what was coming. I don't think it took away from the book and most did not allude to what was going to happen.
One or twice ...or sporadic in the book is more than acceptable. Using them in every chapter removes the reader from the flow (however little) of the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

To never be able to go well into a chapter without knowing the key events held within?
Unacceptable!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 00:14
heatherashley7 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:54 I didn't really notice the bold titles at first but once I did I felt they were out of place. I'm not a big fan of subtitles in the first place. To me if a book is written well enough they should not need them, unless the book keeps jumping settings or back and forth between the future and the past.
Yeah, thanks. That is the only viable use of that amount of emboldened subtitles; to mention a change in setting or a change in narration.
I don't think it needs them even then because context clues or just a date stamp can do that just as well.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 11:06
To never be able to go well into a chapter without knowing the key events held within?
Unacceptable!
Yeah. It was way too much giving away of the plot to actually be anything but annoying by the third chapter and it always broke the novel's flow too much.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I wasn't bothered too much by them, except for the "rated R" one. That threw me off and I had no idea if I should read or not read that section. My brain always has to read the whole book so this only broke up the flow of that scene for me. The rest of them didn't seem to add value to the book. Usually you can tell where the characters are or what's going on by their interactions with each other or through their thoughts, so these bold sentences almost made it seem as though the author was trying to dumb down the book to make sure you didn't get confused.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 18:48

Unacceptable!
Yeah. It was way too much giving away of the plot to actually be anything but annoying by the third chapter and it always broke the novel's flow too much.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

It was like a big heading saying "Dumbledore will die in this chapter"....who would want to read through such a book.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The emboldened subtitles would certainly make the reader feel like they were reading a play script instead of a novel, and I think being jerked back to reality with these qualifiers prevents complete immersion in the story. I didn’t find them necessary and a good editor would have probably advised against them.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

These types of "warnings" within the book are unnecessary and interrupt the flow of the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

lisalynn wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 07:03 These types of "warnings" within the book are unnecessary and interrupt the flow of the story.
I felt the same, like I was in a classroom being lectured on how to read the chapters.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 18:48

Unacceptable!
It effectively removed from the book and made me question the need for them.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 08:54 From the beginning of the book, I encountered sentenses written in bold that seem to foretell too much of what was to happen. For me it felt a little bit overused since it would give away too much of the actions in the chapter.
What was your opinion on their use?
If you felt they were overused, then which chapter or scene did it for you?
(Mine was in the beginning of the book during a sexual scene between Cynthia and Sky... written as (This section is rated R) )
I giggled when I saw it. I agree that it was offputting but at least the author attempted to WARN the reader. And with the way Cynthia and Sky were flirting it was obvious they were going to do it at some point... But I believe this is the first time I've seen such an emboldened subtitle. I usually only see scene warnings in fanfiction or unplublished works.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sinclairess wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 12:33
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 08:54 From the beginning of the book, I encountered sentenses written in bold that seem to foretell too much of what was to happen. For me it felt a little bit overused since it would give away too much of the actions in the chapter.
(Mine was in the beginning of the book during a sexual scene between Cynthia and Sky... written as (This section is rated R) )
I giggled when I saw it. I agree that it was offputting but at least the author attempted to WARN the reader. And with the way Cynthia and Sky were flirting it was obvious they were going to do it at some point... But I believe this is the first time I've seen such an emboldened subtitle. I usually only see scene warnings in fanfiction or unplublished works.
You raise an excellent point and now I can't stop seeing it like that.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Sinclairess wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 12:33
You giggled when you saw it? Weren't you put off by the school-like insinuation of spoiling the chapter for every reader?

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”