Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Post by maggi3 »

How did you feel about Cynthia's pregnancy and miscarriage? Did you think the events and reactions of the characters were portrayed accurately? Did they add to the story or take away from it?
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I thought it was strange that she seemed to keep the pregnancy a secret. It was clear that she was in shock when she found out. I thought the miscarriage was sad for Cynthia, but it was nice she was able to recover at a women's center until she felt better. She was obviously sad. To me, I think the whole experience took away from the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I think the experience was used in order to show how Cynthia as a character could grow in the course of the book. Her character's reaction to the entire ordeal was realistic and moving....including the need to keep it a secret, just to contain the knowledge-as unrealistic ad it seemed. That was Cynthia as a complex 'humane' character.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 09:46 I think the experience was used in order to show how Cynthia as a character could grow in the course of the book. Her character's reaction to the entire ordeal was realistic and moving....including the need to keep it a secret, just to contain the knowledge-as unrealistic ad it seemed. That was Cynthia as a complex 'humane' character.
I agree. Cynthia's reaction, as flawed as it may seem, but it's utterly human. I can understand where she's coming from. Thank you for the insight.
heatherashley7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by heatherashley7 »

I personally think it was Dan, this may sound far fetched but he did change her sheets so he had to see the letters. One of the letters mentioned the pregnancy and then he was in her bathroom and could have easily crushed the one prescription to mix it in with medicine. I think the author missed a golden opportunity to pin it on the villain in this book.

The situation as a whole was very hard to read after already reading about the Plan B and the second prescription. This plot line was HORRIBLE in my opinion.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
erinrb13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinrb13.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by erinrb13 »

I thought the pregnancy and miscarriage was an unnecessary plot line. It didn't improve relationships between characters or cause any further conflicts
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
Everything happens for a reason...
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I too, thought that it was odd that Cynthia drank while pregnant. I also felt that the veiled references to the "syrup' medicine she took could have had something to do with it. Especially after Sky practically offered her the 'abortion/miscarriage option on a silver platter (even going so far as to provide the drugs for it). This part of the plot was my least favorite part of the book.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Just like most here, I do think it was to build up Cynthia's character. It made her relatable and more emotional, but I also do think it wasn't that much charming and enriching for the whole story. Not because it was one of those "grueling truths", it's just that the way the author wrote it and inserted that part that hasn't have anything to do with the plot.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I thought it didnt add to the plot and I overall didnt care. I didnt think it took away anything from the main story bits.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
Yeah, it is unlikely one would forget a thing like being pregnant.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

maggi3 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 00:53 How did you feel about Cynthia's pregnancy and miscarriage? Did you think the events and reactions of the characters were portrayed accurately? Did they add to the story or take away from it?
I felt the whole pregnancy part of the book was ridiculous. There were too many inconsistencies, and the whole situation didn't add anything to the book. The book would've been better without that part of the storyline.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

dtb wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 12:21
cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
Yeah, it is unlikely one would forget a thing like being pregnant.
Yes, the whole thing was odd, from Cynthia having sex with a virtual stranger to everything that followed. The author warned about the section with an 'R' rating. I wonder why the author felt compelled to put any sex in the book?
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I felt that the part of pregnancy and the miscarriage was insignificant for the story. More focus could have been given to the cyber war and the unsuccessful drone attacks.
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

I thought this was a very peculiar subplot that took away from the story. What was even stranger to me was how Mike was the expert on the subject. I found it peculiar that a woman, who knew she was pregnant, experienced very painful abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding and did not freak out but instead went to work. Overall, I think the author tried to use this subplot as a character development or growth tool. In my opinion, it did not quite hit the mark.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”