Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Re: Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

I felt sorry for Cynthia following the loss of her pregnancy. That was traumatizing for a naive lady like her. Fortunately, she was able to begin a new cycle at the women's centre
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Shelly Caetano wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:32 I thought this was a very peculiar subplot that took away from the story. What was even stranger to me was how Mike was the expert on the subject. I found it peculiar that a woman, who knew she was pregnant, experienced very painful abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding and did not freak out but instead went to work. Overall, I think the author tried to use this subplot as a character development or growth tool. In my opinion, it did not quite hit the mark.
The part about Mike being the "expert" was disconcerting and awkward. Spotting during pregnancy can happen with no threat to the pregnancy, so since the heavier bleeding didn't start until she was at work, that part didn't bother me as bad.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

I haven't been able to read the book, but a subplot of pregnancy and miscarriage in a book about cyber terrorism sounds like a pretty reckless endeavour. The author would have to twist and squeeze quite a bit to have it make sense, and it doesn't sound like he's done a very good job. Sounds like a botched up nose job, frankly!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Gracedscribe wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 23:33 I haven't been able to read the book, but a subplot of pregnancy and miscarriage in a book about cyber terrorism sounds like a pretty reckless endeavour. The author would have to twist and squeeze quite a bit to have it make sense, and it doesn't sound like he's done a very good job. Sounds like a botched up nose job, frankly!
Mixing pregnancy and miscarriage with cyber terrorism was not a bad part of the whole plot. Sadly. For me, the book had so many other issues that mentioned subjects are not even relevant and I am sure the author didn't intend it to be like that. The way these characters acted and the choices they made are much bigger the subject I'm sure the author wanted us to talk about. Either way, I think you didn't miss out on not reading this book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

diana lowery wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 07:33 I thought the whole situation was odd. The way she got pregnant so easily with a man she didn't know. The way Sky showed up the next day with a way to prevent the pregnancy. Sky comes across as so prepared and organized, how did he not have condoms in his apartment? Cynthia "forgetting" to pee on the stick. Mike and his knowledge of miscarriages. I even thought the recovery place was creepy.
All excellent points. And also major reasons why I really disliked the book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
I agree! I felt the same way. It was all very odd and annoying, in my opinion.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I agree it was odd, and would the bleeding have actually been that bad when she was clearly only a couple weeks along? And also, morning sickness doesn’t usually show up until around 6-8 weeks of gestation so I thought that was a little off as well. (I’m sure it’s different for every woman, but that’s the norm anyway.) And why did Sky make such a big deal out of her getting rid of the baby? I thought that was a little weird if he wanted to get married to her anyway...
hancocktara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hancocktara.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by hancocktara »

I think Cynthia's storyline would have been more interesting had the book been longer, allowing the author to go into greater detail. It seemed too predictable that Cynthia would become pregnant after Sky gave her the abortion instructions. It seemed so rushed as well.

I thought the abortion part of the story was well written and did add depth to Cynthia's character as many people have already said.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
If you want to be even more irritated, look for articles about recent research that has been done (just published this year!) that says drinking alcohol in small amounts is fine during pregnancy.
Some women on the trying to conceive boards I follow are taking it as permission to continue their habits well into pregnancy. (Not to mention the whole "drink til it's pink" community...)
As someone who has had to turn down drinks on the *slight* possibility that I might be pregnant, I find it really hard to believe that someone would willingly drink while fully knowing the affect it could have on the baby.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

katiesquilts wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 23:33
If you want to be even more irritated, look for articles about recent research that has been done (just published this year!) that says drinking alcohol in small amounts is fine during pregnancy.
Some women on the trying to conceive boards I follow are taking it as permission to continue their habits well into pregnancy. (Not to mention the whole "drink til it's pink" community...)
As someone who has had to turn down drinks on the *slight* possibility that I might be pregnant, I find it really hard to believe that someone would willingly drink while fully knowing the affect it could have on the baby.
Wow! Not to get too far off topic of this book, but I have a young man living on my street in a house by himself watched by 3 people that rotate on 24 hour shifts due to the fact that he was born with fetal alcohol syndrome. He is prone to unexpected, violent outbursts that they have to monitor him 24/7 with no less than 3 people. I get that there are various levels to all of this, but this topic in this book irritated me to no end!
Everything happens for a reason...
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

maggi3 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 00:53 How did you feel about Cynthia's pregnancy and miscarriage? Did you think the events and reactions of the characters were portrayed accurately? Did they add to the story or take away from it?
Honestly, the way Cynthia was in denial, to begin with, and swearing she couldn't be pregnant was not something I see an adult doing. It was more of a teenager move. I think it took away from the story. Even from the start of all the medications being introduced it was like information overload and rushed.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Gracedscribe wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 23:33 I haven't been able to read the book, but a subplot of pregnancy and miscarriage in a book about cyber terrorism sounds like a pretty reckless endeavour. The author would have to twist and squeeze quite a bit to have it make sense, and it doesn't sound like he's done a very good job. Sounds like a botched up nose job, frankly!
One of my main concerns with the book is that the subplot just doesn't fit well with the main storyline. It seemed to be something they just tossed in for shock.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
SolemUmbra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solemumbra.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by SolemUmbra »

I agree that it was an unnecessary plot line that I don’t feel was fully developed. I really liked the pinning it on the villain (Dan) theory and I’m happy they didn’t end up together.
I almost really hate that he visited her at the women’s center.
Cynthia is a strong character and this was a bad way to show a “weakness.”
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm sad for Cynthia, but it sounds like it could have been written better.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

As much as the part was meant to build up Cynthia's character, I found it a little distasteful. No woman forgets that she is pregnant and proceeds to consume alcohol. Leaving this bit out would not have made the story any less relatable.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”