Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Emma Blue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Emma Blue »

I did not find the two main characters Cynthia and Sky, believable. I found it hard to believe such a smart and accomplished woman in security issues, would just willingly fall into a relationship with a man that seemed sketchy at best. I also found in some things the descriptions were lacking. It was like watching a tv show that kept cutting out. The main plot idea was interesting and a lot of the technical sections seemed more believable. Over all I found the book just ok. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend and I wouldn't save it to read again. I would give it a 2 star rating only.

Emma Blue
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Renu G wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 23:42 I would give the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I find the events and interactions between Cynthia and Sky rather unbelievable.
The fiction is too exaggerated and unbelievable. I think the author's imagination is on another level. :no-spoil:
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

I feel that the "Cyber War" was very much one sided, where they take down website, and etc. but don't really see much in return...probably the least believable aspect of the book imo
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

Bringing down terrorists alone would is a good storyline, but I do not enjoy the relationship between Dan and Sky. Cynthia seemed so flaky. However, I'll recommend it to lovers of romance.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

I read the book halfway and from what I read I don't quiet like it or hate it.
I don't connect with any of the characters as well.

I would rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html

Post by Thundershake »

I read the book halfway and from what I read I don't quiet like it or hate it.
I don't connect with any of the characters as well.

I would rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I really enjoyed the part of the book where the cyber war is described. This was very interesting and new to read, especially for someone like me. I usually do not read anything about "technology", so this was the chance for me to learn something new. On the other hand, romance is not my genre, and in this book there is a triangle! This was not something I was interested in. Anyway, I appreciate the fast-paced narrative, so Cyber war was quite good after all.
user5305
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by user5305 »

I tried reading a sample but never made it past the first page of the first chapter. The banter between Cynthia and Dan in the first chapter was silly at best. Cynthia came off as petulant and immature. Not traits I want in any protagonist. And the writing is problematic. On just the first page, there are various glaring problems. Example: "Well, why not?" she drew up her chest from her perch across the desk from him. What in the world does that mean? And here's another one: Cynthia looked for the nearest object to throw at him. (see what I mean by immature?) Next sentence: Glenn ducked, stifling his laughter. If you're going to throw something at someone, how about you tell the reader what that object is, so we can picture it. Was it an orange? A paperweight? A razor-sharp letter opener? What? Based on these items alone, appearing right at the front of the book, I was discouraged from proceeding.

At the risk of sounding condescending, there is a craft to writing a book. It's not enough to have an idea for a story. While there may be several ways to tell a story, there are also common elements to be observed in its construction. Items such as word choice, pacing, proper grammar, proper sentence structure all matter. For example: you could have the most compelling premise ever, but if your pace is deadly-dull, many may not stick around to see how you pay off that premise. That brilliant premise would also be wasted if the sentences are clunky, or the characters come off as dull-witted.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I've not had the time to read the book, but from the description, it seems appealing. Involving terrorism, cyberwar, and romance, I think I'm intrigued. I hope to read it soon.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I haven't read this one yet though it sounds interesting. I have only read a review of it and i'm looking forward to putting my hands on it then I'll come back and give my feedback.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Well, I ended up giving the novel another chance and reading the whole thing. There weren't many typos or grammar errors as far as I could tell, but that's about the only positive comment I have. The characters are underdeveloped, boring, unlikable, or a combination of them; you never feel any tension since everything happens over the internet and is easily accomplished by the "super hackers" in a few days; there's very little weight attached to the cyber war due to how none of the characters have real stakes in it; the author has failed to do her homework when it comes to technology, writing about hacking feats that break all suspension of disbelief; and the romance falls flat, mostly because I either dislike or don't care about the characters (Cynthia and Sky might even be my least favorite of the bunch), but also because it's cheesy and unrealistic.

Overall, I would rate it 1 out of 4. Maybe 2 if I'm feeling generous since the editing seems to be on point, but I really don't know if I could ever recommend this to anyone.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I really wanted to read this book but judging from these comments, I get a feeling that many people did not love this book. Makes me rethink. I still think I'll read it though. Wish me luck.
MA
Emmerdale
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmerdale.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Emmerdale »

I found the book suspenseful and exciting, I loved the political tension in the novel cynthia the head of the security for a senator founds her self involved in forming steam warfare against terrorists.but in along the way he meets sky who is very mysterious and she is not sure she can trust him or even love him.it was fun reading it but not to my expections
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

The book sounds controversial from all the comments made so far. I think I should read it and see for myself. Thank you for all the reviews.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Books with love triangles are quite frustrating for me to read. Especially when there’s already a partner set in place from the start. I like the fact that it included just enough action to keep things from being boring though.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”