Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Who was your favorite character?

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 10 Jun 2019, 01:36

B Creech wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2019, 15:14
I would have to choose the nerd squad as my favorite. They at least stayed focused on what they had to do, and their characters fit their role!
That is a very good understanble choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 10 Jun 2019, 13:15

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: ↑
10 Jun 2019, 01:36
B Creech wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2019, 15:14
I would have to choose the nerd squad as my favorite. They at least stayed focused on what they had to do, and their characters fit their role!
That is a very good understanble choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.
That is a very good understandable* choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.

User avatar
Jo689
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 May 2019, 09:56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jo689 » 10 Jun 2019, 14:42

I am very neutral in terms of who would be considered a favorite. To be honest, I really don't have anything feelings toward Cynthia nor Sky. There was nothing that stands in either of them that made me admire them. To be honest though, if I had to choose, it would be Glenn, even though he had a more minor role in the book.

User avatar
VernaVi
Posts: 202
Joined: 30 Sep 2018, 00:36
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vernavi.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by VernaVi » 11 Jun 2019, 00:30

I like Cynthia's brother Glenn as well. He treated Cynthia just like a brother treats a sister, and they seemed to interact well.
Glenn also contributed to the story by keeping it locked into the plot. While Cynthia was getting sidetracked by her romances, Glenn was still busy at work trying to find terrorists.

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 11 Jun 2019, 03:45

Jo689 wrote: ↑
10 Jun 2019, 14:42
I am very neutral in terms of who would be considered a favorite. To be honest, I really don't have anything feelings toward Cynthia nor Sky. There was nothing that stands in either of them that made me admire them. To be honest though, if I had to choose, it would be Glenn, even though he had a more minor role in the book.
Glenn is an excellent choice based on his character as a compitent, and great boss. He also develops this amazing sibling chemistry with Cynthia and I enjoyed their constant back and forth and how he could egg her on.

User avatar
Sinclairess
Posts: 92
Joined: 04 Oct 2018, 23:32
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sinclairess » 11 Jun 2019, 15:43

B Creech wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2019, 15:14
I would have to choose the nerd squad as my favorite. They at least stayed focused on what they had to do, and their characters fit their role!
I agree! And on top of that they seemed delighted to do their jobs.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 11 Jun 2019, 23:46

VernaVi wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2019, 00:30
I like Cynthia's brother Glenn as well. He treated Cynthia just like a brother treats a sister, and they seemed to interact well.
Glenn also contributed to the story by keeping it locked into the plot. While Cynthia was getting sidetracked by her romances, Glenn was still busy at work trying to find terrorists.
Yes, I loved their realistic sibling banter and how Glenn could always egg her on. It was one of the bright spots of the book.

User avatar
Dikay127
Posts: 9
Joined: 08 Apr 2019, 21:46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Dikay127 » 12 Jun 2019, 21:01

I really liked Garth. He was a computer whiz and pretty funny at times. All the stuff he did for the cyber war was beyond amazing and without him we never would have uncovered the secret of Sky and why he seemed so sketchy in the beginning.

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 12 Jun 2019, 23:28

Dikay127 wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2019, 21:01
I really liked Garth. He was a computer whiz and pretty funny at times. All the stuff he did for the cyber war was beyond amazing and without him we never would have uncovered the secret of Sky and why he seemed so sketchy in the beginning.
I liked him too based on his compitent nature and how meticulous he went about his work. It is definitely true that Sky might have gone unnoticed if it were not for him.

User avatar
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1018
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 19:21
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: The Dawn Phenomenon by G.E. Frazier, CHC
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 13 Jun 2019, 08:15

I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
Everything happens for a reason...

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 1144
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by briellejee » 13 Jun 2019, 08:58

I would have to say Glenn. Cynthia was okay but she was getting on my nerves from the start. I don't know why, but I don't see her as a likable protagonist, especially after cheating on Dan.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 13 Jun 2019, 19:54

cpru68 wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2019, 08:15
I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
That was one of the most accurate assessment of the characters in the story. So you might say the nerd squad were the one competent characters in the book?

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1233
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » Yesterday, 09:14

briellejee wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2019, 08:58
I would have to say Glenn. Cynthia was okay but she was getting on my nerves from the start. I don't know why, but I don't see her as a likable protagonist, especially after cheating on Dan.
Yes, when a protagonist's first act in the first chapter is cheating, then they tend to become unliked theoughout the book.

User avatar
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1018
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 19:21
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: The Dawn Phenomenon by G.E. Frazier, CHC
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » Yesterday, 11:20

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2019, 19:54
cpru68 wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2019, 08:15
I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
That was one of the most accurate assessment of the characters in the story. So you might say the nerd squad were the one competent characters in the book?
The nerd squad wasn’t even that great. They had to be included to solve crime. The dialogues with them were unrealistic and borderline high school. I just didn’t like this book at all.
Everything happens for a reason...

User avatar
Nena_Morena
Posts: 115
Joined: 19 Feb 2018, 20:39
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading: Born of the sun
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nena_Morena » Yesterday, 17:52

DC Brown wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2019, 09:54
I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
I completely agree with you about Sky. I would also pick the Nerd guys as my favorite characters. They worked hard to succeed in their mission; not only did they have a huge role in saving the president but also managed to sabotage the Iranian computer network almost permanently.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”