The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Karenshinn1959
Currently Reading: Almost Mortal
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karenshinn1959.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Re: The author's inspiration.

Post by Karenshinn1959 »

I think the author's inspiration is to draw attention to the Gnostic school of thought regarding Christianity, Jesus, Judas, and James. The idea that God is within each person is present in ancient eastern religions and modern new age religions as well. I think the author is challenging people to open up to accepting these beliefs rather than orthodox Christianity.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I think he author feels he has some insight into the Judas scroll that was found fairly recently thought to be written by Gnostic Christians. The author tries to explain what he feels the scrolls mean, that Judas actually didn't betray Jesus but sacrificed himself for Jesus. If I understand Gnostism then they believe spirit is more important than the physical body. I think the author is trying to clear up what he thinks Biblical scholars missed when examining the scrolls. I'm not sure he's trying to convert anyone but felt some type of obligation to clear up questions from his enlightening perspective.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

maritzaalston wrote: 11 May 2019, 10:13 Inspiration sometimes comes from within. Sometimes listening to someone or witnessing an event may inspire. A book may inspire to learn more or act. In thinking about what inspires me and my journey, it is sharing the knowledge I have gained.
A good point of view, Maritza! Maybe the author just wanted to bring his own contribution to the world by spreading the learnings he gained till present.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
I don't think it was anyone's particular destiny to betray Jesus, it was just a prophecy written and could have fallen on anyone else who set himself up in a position to be the one. It was Judas first and personal choice to betray Jesus, thus, allowing the previously made prophecy to fulfil in his account.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

flaming_quills wrote: 10 May 2019, 14:38 There are always two sides to a story and I think the author just wanted to bring out the side that most people had chosen to ignore for so long (almost 2000 years). He made a good attempt, that I have to say.
I agree with you he might have just been trying to bring into spotlight the other side of the story.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I think he was just inspired by the need to find out an uncompromised truth. But partly, it maybe because of his hatered towards christianity.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

It could be a multitude of things. People are naturally curious, and sometimes aren't satisfied with a single point of view. We poke and prod and push our noses into different sources of information to build our own ideas and beliefs. There's nothing wrong with healthy curiosity, or wanting to know "why?" I myself am drawn to tragic or antagonistic characters. I've always been a fan of themes of betrayal and "the bad guy." There's always some kind of motivation, or something going on psychologically that influences their behavior and actions overall. Why not place Judas' story under the lens? It can be interesting to learn multiple sides of an account, and may improve your knowledge or even shatter the reality you'd built in your own mind in regards to some event or character.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Sahansdal wrote: 06 May 2019, 23:23
srividyag1 wrote: 04 May 2019, 21:30 I think the author is interested in presenting his findings, like a research. The effort and time he has put into this work is evident. And the book reads like a scientific paper with references. Considering this, I think the author's inspiration would probably have been the deep rooted hatred of a single man and the curiosity whether he actually was hateful - whether Judas actually deserves the way he is treated. That being said, the author also connects Christianity to gnostic thoughts, so perhaps he was also inspired by their spiritual teaching.
I am a Satsangi with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas, and have been since 1975. That's a long time. My understanding of mysticism has only grown since then. I was a Christian before that, and a 24/7 one, living with brothers in a brothers house. I don't do anything halfway! The teachings of RSSB are IDENTICAL to Gnostic teachings, right down to the words they use, if you will believe it. Anami Desh of the Sant Mat Masters, the Region with no name, is "the region never called by any name" in the Gospel of Judas. How is that for a match! Yes the cosmology is the same. Even Paul "knew a man" (likely James, not himself, as so many may think) who went to the third heaven. Sant Mat and Gnostic teaching hold that there are seven heavens. The ticket to ride is the Word (Bible), or Unspoken Melody (Sant Mat), the Apophasis Logos of the gnostic Gospels of Thomas and Judas. Btw, this is the Name of the Lord in the Tanak (Old Testament). It is all the same teaching!!!
I wish you could have added an "About the Author" page in this book. I found the above info. on your Amazon page, but for some reason it didn't make sense to me. What you wrote above made better sense to me and relatable.

Is it possible to start a new thread/topic (ask the author)? I have some questions I want to ask; some of the things you wrote left me confused.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

SavannaEGoth wrote: 17 May 2019, 21:38 It could be a multitude of things. People are naturally curious, and sometimes aren't satisfied with a single point of view. We poke and prod and push our noses into different sources of information to build our own ideas and beliefs. There's nothing wrong with healthy curiosity, or wanting to know "why?" I myself am drawn to tragic or antagonistic characters. I've always been a fan of themes of betrayal and "the bad guy." There's always some kind of motivation, or something going on psychologically that influences their behavior and actions overall. Why not place Judas' story under the lens? It can be interesting to learn multiple sides of an account, and may improve your knowledge or even shatter the reality you'd built in your own mind in regards to some event or character.
Good point.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Vickie Noel wrote: 16 May 2019, 16:06
sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
I don't think it was anyone's particular destiny to betray Jesus, it was just a prophecy written and could have fallen on anyone else who set himself up in a position to be the one. It was Judas first and personal choice to betray Jesus, thus, allowing the previously made prophecy to fulfil in his account.
Maybe not destiny. It might as well been a prophecy. I agree that Judas chose to betray Jesus.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

I think the author just wants to use this medium to air his view and personal perspective which is totally different from the Christian belief about Judas.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I think the author expresses his unorthodox thoughts regarding Christianity or churches in the form of a novel to reach the larger audience. This controversial subject is not only written by him but Dan brown too has given so many of his opinions in that manner.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Yes, Judas is always judged harshly, and I'd also say it's good to build compassion for the "vilified" religious ideas/figures, since I believe they are supposed to be reflections of what humanity itself is capable of.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

WaryReader wrote: 03 May 2019, 10:42 I think he just wants to get his unorthodox opinion out there. If he knows anything about the Christian faith, he should know that his book conveys a pretty controversial message, but maybe he wants to express something that he found profound and worthwhile in a professional way. :techie-reference:
I agree! This is an even-handed and very just reply.
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

A G Darr wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:30 The author is Gnostic and have views that differ from the more broadly accepted beliefs in Christianity. The Gnostic view seems to aim at the Bible not being a history, but a metaphorical guide to salvation and redemption. The idea that Judas was misframed as a betrayer would be very attractive to a Gnostic trying to change the perception of the Bible as a straight history. Judas is a well known character of the Bible. Even individuals without a religion have probably heard of Judas at some point, even if it is just through pop culture references. By choosing such a large figure, and such a polarizing subject, the author would have a greater chance of sowing seeds of interest and curiosity to a broader audience. If he would have chosen a lesser known story, or it he would have sampled several instances of Bible stories being misread, I feel the book would have lost its gravitas.
I did not know this about Christianity and Gnosticism. It was very interesting to read! Great analysis on why the author might have chosen to write about Judas, as well!

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”